Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ bike course change
Quote | Reply
I heard rumblings last year that they were getting tired of dealing with issues with the Reservation and were thinking about changing the bike course. Cant imagine they will change this years, but has anyone heard anything about possible changes in the future?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ bike course change [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was some talk of making it only two loops, but as far as I know, that was actually based on talks about getting some more closure out on the beeline (either extending it out past Shea _OR_ maybe doing an out-and-back on Gilbert->McDowell, which hits the Beeline early on). But as far as I know, dealings with the Salt River-Pima community are very strong and only getting stronger. A member of that group (tribe? I don't want to offend anyone...) actually did the race last year, first time that has ever happened. She had a huge support crew cheering her on at finish and also at awards.

So, yes, I've heard they might try to shift to a two loop course (just as they shifted the run to two), but I had heard that the course would be mostly the same even if they did that. I think this came about when it looked like Tempe Town Lake wasn't going to be ready in time after the dam issues a few years back and they had to look at alternate swim venues, which also meant looking at alternative bike courses, which I guess made them realize that closing some other roads was actually more viable than they thought.

I heard initially it was for this year, but I doubt they will change it now at this late date.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ bike course change [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So as far as you know, is the change to a 2 loop run course, that they made last year, a permanent change? I was secretly hoping they would change it back to a 3 loop run course.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ bike course change [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was a temporary change to a 3 looper, due to construction in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ bike course change [PHXATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PHXATC wrote:
Last year was a temporary change to a 3 looper, due to construction in the area.

Wrong. Last year was a temporary change to a 2 looper due to construction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
So as far as you know, is the change to a 2 loop run course, that they made last year, a permanent change? I was secretly hoping they would change it back to a 3 loop run course.

Says still two loops - http://www.ironman.com/~/media/4a930bbb27be454db631544cf97a56f5/arizona%20run2014%20tbt.pdf

I personally liked the new run course.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
jpay wrote:

Says still two loops - http://www.ironman.com/~/media/4a930bbb27be454db631544cf97a56f5/arizona%20run2014%20tbt.pdf

My next question was going to be how did you like it compared to the 3 loop course. Care to share any specifics about what you thought made it better last year than other years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
jpay wrote:

My next question was going to be how did you like it compared to the 3 loop course. Care to share any specifics about what you thought made it better last year than other years?

I really hated that climb on the access road up to Mill Avenue. Plus i liked the gravel section on the outbound past the dam. And I also thought the longer out and back on the North Side of the lake was a bit nicer. Also more opportunities to overlap, which in tight racing - like we had last year - makes it easier to spot your competition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan- any word on if they will be doing the registration in the same process as they did last year? Foundation before general entry. Did they end up opening more foundation spots after general spots sold out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team_Doc28 wrote:
Jordan- any word on if they will be doing the registration in the same process as they did last year? Foundation before general entry. Did they end up opening more foundation spots after general spots sold out?

Not sure. I will ask for you and report back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Official reply: The IRONMAN Foundation will open registration for IMAZ BEFORE general registration opens. Specific details are still being finalized. Please check the IMAZ registration page at the beginning of race. Week. All details will be posted there and available a few days prior to general registration opening.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help Jordan! Sure wish this race was easier/cheaper to get into like it was! Best of luck to you at it this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Official reply: The IRONMAN Foundation will open registration for IMAZ BEFORE general registration opens. Specific details are still being finalized.
Not sure that there's demand, but it would be great if they also had an on-site reg option for Foundation spots on Thursday and Friday for general public. Shouldn't be too hard to train two/three reg volunteers to take either kind registrations on-site.
Quote Reply