Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ Volunteer advice
Quote | Reply
Just signed up for volunteer duties this year in Arizona to register for next year (Running aid station #3), anyone have experience or advice for the day of race and specifically registration the next morning? I'm thinking about getting in line 3 hours prior because I have read that it can be crazy.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the line started after the race finished with people camping out. IIRC all of the volunteers that wanted a spot got one, of course that may change this year as demand for IMAZ continues to increase.

A problem I did see was a ton of no shows at volunteer stations, if WTC figures out how to track who helps and who is just a jerk then the line will be much shorter.

I didn't sign up, and wouldn't swim in that "lake" if it was free, but water quality is a personal issue. Tempe is a pretty area and spectating/volunteering was worth doing for it's own sake.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [Gleep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that there were some volunteer positions (possibly what people would consider the most strenuous, or longest shifts, etc) which guaranteed a spot or got you to the front of the line faster. Do you know if that was true?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
I heard that there were some volunteer positions (possibly what people would consider the most strenuous, or longest shifts, etc) which guaranteed a spot or got you to the front of the line faster. Do you know if that was true?
Not true, there was no priority system in place that I heard of. The volunteer captains were handing out the volunteer wrist bands after the shift was over, you needed a wrist band to register as a volunteer. With some captains needing to cover a large area (like the bike course) they couldn't identify if everyone was there for the full shift or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok cool. Thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I got in line at about 5:30 am. There were people who camped out but sleeping in a hotel bed seemed a little better to me and we all got registered. Last year they didn't give out your wristband till after your volunteer time was over. I was on a kayak during the swim so we were pretty spread out and our 'leader' told us to just meet back where we started and then he passed out the wristbands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year's race did have "hard to staff" volunteer slots, like from 8pm to midnight or early in the morning, that did get a special wrist band that was pretty much first in line to register the next morning.

Basically there were 5 layers of registration.
1. You volunteered at a hard to staff spot and got a wrist band
2. You volunteered at a normal spot and got a wrist band
3. You volunteered but didn't get a wristband (or forgot to bring it)
4. General walk up registration
5. Online registration

I heard, although, don't know because I was in grouping #2, that everybody in groups 1 thru 4 got registered. I wouldn't worry as the hoopla generated on here was way more than it actually was in real life. Shocking, I know. : )
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [PHXATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed one of the staffers, and they told me they are not doing the hardship wristband this time, I guess you get your T-shirt after and you are GTG. I think I am going to get in line a couple hours prior and roll the dice!

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided to volunteer this year also but wanted to know if you know the details as to the required volunteer meeting, etc. because I don't know how many days to book the hotel.

Or if anyone did volunteered last year, any info is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Register for a speed pass volunteer spot. You get a different line to the masses for registration. Last year I arrived at 6am and only waited about 20 mins once reg opened at 7am. Others that got in line at 3am were still in line when I was already done.

A speed pass usually means a late night shift etc. I think mine was 10pm on run aid station, which was actually pretty cool.

The easiest way to get in, though is to ve AWA gold status and you get to register online in advance

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told that the Speed Passes are not going to be there this year and last year was a one time deal. You will still get and need a wristband to register for IMAZ 2015...the volunteer shirt will no longer be enough.

I was a captain last year too.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [amills1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct...according to the volunteer rep I spoke with, they are not doing it this year!

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
I decided to volunteer this year also but wanted to know if you know the details as to the required volunteer meeting, etc. because I don't know how many days to book the hotel.

Or if anyone did volunteered last year, any info is appreciated.

I volunteered last year and my flight arrived in Phoenix after the required meeting on Saturday...all it took was a few emails with my shift leader/captain and there wasn't any problem from missing the meeting.

Quote | Reply
in 2013 there were 2 types of shifts. Regular shift and there were a few that had what they called a speedpass shift. So it is true. Wife and I volunteered at bike catchers, regular shift and got the regular green wristband. Then we actually signed up for pointing runners from 5 till midnight and that one was a speedpass wristband. We didn't get the band until the end and the captains will actually make sure you have it on before you leave your shift since they don't want you making money off the wristband.

The speedpass guaranteed you a spot in a shorter line the next morning. We were in and out in 20 minutes, while the normal line was pretty long.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer advice [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The easiest way to get in, though is to ve AWA gold status and you get to register online in advance

Scratches chin :)
Quote Reply