Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ Nov 08 Race Report – Volunteer
Quote | Reply
First off, after racing on and off for 22 years, and collecting a big box of race shirts, I decided it was time to look at a race from the other side and give something back.

I worked the bike special needs area and had a great day. We had a great team lead who had an opportunity to work with volunteers who wanted to be there either cheering on friends/family or having an interest in the race and two groups of high school students/parents who got wrangled in to earn some money for their school teams (that is where some of the Community funds go). I can say, some of the students did a great job running bags to the athletes as they rode by and of course, other students who really didn’t understand the importance of speed in finding bags and getting them to the athletes.

For me, I am doing IMAZ 09 (still drying out from IMMoo 06), so I figured this would not be a bad way to spend the day and get some insight on this race. As in any race, the varying levels of competitiveness made it interesting. The fast athletes either did not need their bags (mostly co2 and tires) or took their bag as they passed, and the rest spent varying amounts of time switching bottles, eating, stretching or lubing up. I think the bike or run special needs area may be the only area where you can talk with some of the athletes for any amount of time during the race. I helped with clothing changes (try pulling a jacket over someone’s head that is wearing an aero helmet – comedic at best, burning time - yes), holding what seemed like an endless supply of pbj’s, cokes, fuel mixes, water, bagels, pizza and one large subway sandwich. I personally can’t figure out how some athletes were able to eat so much and then get back on the bike and ride in the aero position.

Besides the normal help the volunteers provided, I saw the volunteer next to me change one athletes socks and took the shoes off of another, wiped the grass and dirt off their feet, did a quick foot rub and then put their shoes back on for them – now that was service. I ended up changing three flats and fixing one dropped chain. Sorry to the one IM whose co2 adapter I could not get working, but thanks to the other volunteers that scrounged up at least 10 cartridges for me to burn through, and to the one athlete who had a small hand pump that worked great. I did think about the athletes getting penalized for getting outside help, but I had my trusty IM volunteer shirt on and anyway, the course marshals should have been busy chasing down the drafting packs and spanking them.

All the athletes seemed to be genuinely grateful for all our help. I don’t recall anyone feeling too bad or looking like they were going to quit, but there were some pretty serious faces going by as were cleaning up and closing down our station.

Congratulations to all the IMAZ 08 finishers and see you next year.
Last edited by: slowandslower: Dec 6, 08 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Nov 08 Race Report – Volunteer [slowandslower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
colleting a big box of race shits
I have preferred to leave mine behind, rather than collecting them....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being out there. All of the volunteers were great and it made the day go that much smoother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks very much. The volunteers throughout the race were terrific. At bike special needs I discovered that my body lube had been left out of my bag, and a volunteer reached into his pocket and produced a pack of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being out there and volunteering.

I always thought I'd stop at SN at least for a stretch or a bite to eat... but I just rolled on by. First IM so it was weird to look over and see racers standing on the side of the road eating a sandwich during a race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THANKS for volunteering! I have to tell you that after doing IMAZ (my first IM) any "local" events will pale in comparison with respect to the volunteers! Everyone was GREAT and very helpful! From the volunteers on the stairs at the swim exit, to the volunteers in the changing tent, to the volunteers on the bike course and especially in the Special Needs area, the bike catchers, to the volunteers out on the run course that stayed well into the dark cool night! Simply put, you were all AWESOME and made my first IM experience a pleasurable one!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First off, after racing on and off for 22 years, and colleting a big box of race shits, I decided it was time to look at a race from the other side and give something back.

hahaha, thats kinda gross
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help. I was there, and you guys were great. I just wish the marshals had been as competent. Thanks so much for giving back, man, it's saving our sport!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. I managed to swap out my bottles with out requiring any of the
additional unadvertised massage services. :)

I'll be volunteering next year.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there, but thanks for helping out.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply