Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart.
Quote | Reply
It's great to see that Lionel seems to be really be listening to the advice of David Tilbury Davis and putting it into practice.

Here's the final paragraph but there's a nice path laid out before this in his blog. It turns out that in the past Lionel had been doing pretty much all his swim training while fatigued from either biking or running.

"Long story short, if you are not swimming first thing, or at the very least, doing your key swim workouts first thing, you are selling yourself short. In just three weeks of swimming first thing every day, I noticed a significant improvement in my perception, and this translated directly into better swimming. I am excited to get back to the chopping block next week, and swim first thing every day for a year! In my next post I will share one more lesson, but this one pertains to the bike."

https://lsanderstri.com/

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Dec 6, 16 1:59
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my favorite part:

Quote:
I’m not sure why this particular time the suggestion got through my thick skull. I have a feeling the embarrassment from 70.3 Worlds and Kona played a role. As well, having my ass handed to me in the water by literally every single athlete at the Island House Triathlon, also added to my receptivity to suggestions.

len = len + 20; /* add some buffer */
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [moosh009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Island House was indeed a great wake up call. It showed how he could beat almost every short or long course triathlete out there in the bike and run, so if he could just be more competitive in the swim...
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me thinks...key swim workouts for the week fresh. Use other swims (aka - easier) as recovery and general loosening while logging aerobic time.
Or is this just a swimmer talking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to implement this. However, the only pool available for me to swim in is so hot, it drains my energy and leaves me empty for any more workouts. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I'd love to implement this. However, the only pool available for me to swim in is so hot, it drains my energy and leaves me empty for any more workouts. :-(

You could take a cold shower afterwards, rehydrate a bit, then go for a run or bike workout. I do this frequently in the summer when the outdoor pool gets up to 88*, and then I'm going to run afterwards in 88* degree heat also. I've always preferred to swim first when relatively fresh, and it makes sense since the swim generally the first event in most triathlons, except for a few sprint races.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In very hot pools you can accept that the "thermal load" adds to the adaptation (google recent heat acclimation work on hot baths) and accept that you'll have a "hot pool threshold" and a "normal pool threshold".

In the hot pool one can do 50's instead of 100's, 100's instead of 200's and 200's instead of 400's then manipulate rest so as to get HR down between reps and then get your volume through frequency.

Regards,

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [moosh009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moosh009 wrote:
This was my favorite part:

Quote:

I’m not sure why this particular time the suggestion got through my thick skull. I have a feeling the embarrassment from 70.3 Worlds and Kona played a role. As well, having my ass handed to me in the water by literally every single athlete at the Island House Triathlon, also added to my receptivity to suggestions.

Indeed! Island House must have been a wake up call, beaten out of the swim by Rinny. But it must also be extremely motivating, so have placed so well in races having swum porrly (relatively speaking) - he must be excited to find out where his potential can take him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez, training till 8p sounds like hell to me. Swimming is a morning things - always has been, always will be (also, f*ck those people who figured that out, because even when I'm off, I get up at 450 to swim). edt: also this is why you should swim every day as a pro, even if it's only for 15-30 minutes (on the days you would normally not swim): "One of the major issues I have in the water is that as I increase the intensity I drop my elbow progressively more, pushing less water directly backwards than I would if I kept the forearm more perpendicular to the bottom of the pool... few days before IMAZ I said to Erin 'my feel for the water is getting really good.'"

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Last edited by: boobooaboo: Dec 8, 16 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading some of his other IMAZ blogs, it sounds like he's gained a lot of swim-confidence, which is awesome!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If time and money wasn't an issue - I would (as a PRO) swim 2 times a day, everyday.
I would have 4-5 real sessions, and 9-10 short easy recovery swims like 20 min.

This is the best way to keep the "feel" - and nothing beats 1k slow swimming for recovery after a hard bike or run.

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:
If time and money wasn't an issue - I would (as a PRO) swim 2 times a day, everyday.
I would have 4-5 real sessions, and 9-10 short easy recovery swims like 20 min.

This is the best way to keep the "feel" - and nothing beats 1k slow swimming for recovery after a hard bike or run.

Sitting on the couch > 1k easy slow swimming - if swimming on your "plan."
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Dec 8, 16 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I think Island House was indeed a great wake up call. It showed how he could beat almost every short or long course triathlete out there in the bike and run, so if he could just be more competitive in the swim...

Lionel should do at least a couple of ITU races per year to keep that "I got may ass kicked totally" on the swim scenario fresh. Then he probably ITT's the bike and run and his bike-run combo probably puts him on par with the top 10 guys minus the swim and maybe it keeps his swim motivation alive. Do you guys think his bike-run without drafting can match the top ITU 10 guys bike-run with drafting. I THINK YES, mainly because ITU overall times are literally no different than in pre drafting era when guys like Mark Allen, Welch, Spencer Smith and Lessing were winning with no drafting. I see Lionel in the caliber of Spencer minus the swim (Spencer was front pack swim, I think Lionel is a better runner, I am guessing Spencer was a better rider, but his aerodynamics were crap).
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I can hear that conversation now....

coach- LS, i have an idea

LS- ooookkk

coach- WTS Hamburg

LS-........

coach- you need to your swim sucks

LS- i thought we established that by me coming to you

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think LS is doing the right thing mentally now. He should just try to keep motivated by having at least some improvement every time he's in a swimming race and always be watching others to pick up hints of how you can improve your swim time without actually swimming better.

How? Look at others and see where they are positioning themselves at the start. how far are they running in the water before they dive for their first stroke? what are they seeing that is getting them to start there? what signs do you see? who is a person that is just slightly faster than you that you can draft and pick up free time?

Just keep getting positive reinforcement and building confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Lessons Part 2 - Lionel seems to be taking his advisor's suggestions to heart. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think he would have to work on his bike handling skills for any ITU race; I remember reading one of his Wiesbaden 70.3 race report from the past year and he said he lost the race because of how technical the course was and all the time he lost on the corners. Though bike handling skills are pretty easy to learn, compared to swimming, so I'm sure it would easy for him to get up to speed.
Quote Reply