Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen sports stats post the number yet?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [eschmitt777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 3000+ person race should have more than 40 slots. I know that’s not the topic here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured it out by looking at the placement of a person in each AG "so and so finished 7 out of 256). It would be helpful if virtual spectators could get a starting list by Saturday morning (when check in is completed). Looks like there were 3400 people signed up-not sure # of starters but if I had to guess maybe 2600?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
A 3000+ person race should have more than 40 slots. I know that’s not the topic here.

Make that 41 slots....I guess Lionel just bagged his ticket to Kona 2018!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they were quoting the official starters at about 2450 or 2550 often yesterday during the announcing at the race

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry a bit off topic, but wow the DNF rate was high. I checked a few AG's and was wondering what happened?

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
sorry a bit off topic, but wow the DNF rate was high. I checked a few AG's and was wondering what happened?

It was hot, into the ‘80’s and no clouds.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my 4th year on the water for kayak support, seemed like the back of the pack swimmers people destined to not finish was higher than normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the heat the wind was a factor on the bike, headwinds or crosswinds the entire ride...
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct ...
- 2567 Started
- 2235 Finishers (official)

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan .... 82 degree's for high (and not 82 for long) and max wind speed of 15mph w/ gust to 20 (on an out and back course) is not the reason for 15% DNF rate. Unfortunately, unprepared athletes is the reason for the DNF rate ... as the years have past we are seeing a shift on how athletes (at either end of the race) prepare to race.

Best,

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Bryan .... 82 degree's for high (and not 82 for long) and max wind speed of 15mph w/ gust to 20 (on an out and back course) is not the reason for 15% DNF rate. Unfortunately, unprepared athletes is the reason for the DNF rate ... as the years have past we are seeing a shift on how athletes (at either end of the race) prepare to race.

Best,

Or that... ;)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

It was hot, into the ‘80’s and no clouds.

I just did 2 quick calculations in the 30-34 and 50-54 AG's (male) and got ~28% and 32% but that includes DNS as well as DNF

Looking at CDA (RIP) I got 20% and 24% respectively where the temperature was similar.

No commentary, just interesting

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did this ever end up being posted anywhere? curious myself...
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [eric.stuebner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
seemed like the back of the pack swimmers people destined to not finish was higher than normal.

Your experience corresponds to what I saw watching from the 1st bridge as well. A lot of people in the 65min and under swim areas, who had no chance of swimming under 75. They were off to the sides doing back stroke, breast stroke, swimming vertical, lots of :05 and greater stroke cycles, people you could tell were really struggling to even move forward with their strokes all before the 1st bridge.

I figure that bridge is ~ 150m from the start.

My speculation is that people realize they can game the system with the swim cutoff now going from the last person in, although I'm not sure if it's from when you cross the mat or the last person crosses the mat.

Either way, when you struggle that much in the water the odds of the rest of your day going awesome become much, much thinner.

I did see one dude swimming backstroke early on who was motoring. He was passing a lot of people who were swimming freestyle.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the E Schmitt that went 8:57 in my AG (30-34) and didn't qualify? If so, I'm gutted for you. How can there be 2 guys who go sub 9 that don't KQ?

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, my first year on the water, I was following in the last swimmer in she was on her back coughing up lake water and I was encouraging her to go go go...She made it with like 5 seconds to spare and missed bike cut off. Can't understand people signing up and not being able to finish the swim. (yeah I'm judging)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B ... athletes have 2:20 from the time they enter the water OR they receive a DQ, 17:00 from when they enter the water or a DQ

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ # of Starter/ KQ Slot allocation [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the first year of IM Barcelona, 9 guys in the 40-44 AG went under 9. 26 guys in the same AG went under 9:16. Sometimes the fast guys always seem to sign up for the same race as you :)

asellerg wrote:
Are you the E Schmitt that went 8:57 in my AG (30-34) and didn't qualify? If so, I'm gutted for you. How can there be 2 guys who go sub 9 that don't KQ?

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
In the first year of IM Barcelona, 9 guys in the 40-44 AG went under 9. 26 guys in the same AG went under 9:16. Sometimes the fast guys always seem to sign up for the same race as you :)

asellerg wrote:

Can you dig up that result? I would love to analyze it.

30-34 year old age group came in 4 our of the top 5 spots. Heck, Clay Emge beat most of the male pro field...and the rest of the guys beat over half or just about half of the pro field.

The good news is that those top guys have their tickets booked...So, if you can go like 9:01 you have a prayer later in the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete has 2:20 from the time they cross the mat. But they can technically surpass 2:20 and continue on because they completed the swim before 2:20 surpassed after the last person in the water crossed the mat. They will later on be dq'd but no one is going to physically stop. Same thing applies for the bike and run course cutoffs.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am that E Schmitt, kind of saw this coming with the break down of registrants and the way the IMFL allocation went. Our AG just didn't have that many starters compared to the M35-59 age groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry! But congrats on a hell of a race! On the plus side, you qualified for your pro card if you want to take it.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to totally hijack this thread. Did I miss it - where's the slot allocation?
Quote Reply

Prev Next