Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM70.3 NOLA 2017
Quote | Reply
Is it odd that the date hasn't been announced yet? And registration hasn't opened......

Is that a sign of some kind?
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 NOLA 2017 [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
Is it odd that the date hasn't been announced yet? And registration hasn't opened......

Is that a sign of some kind?

Not sure why it's not on the IM site, but they did officially announce several months ago that the date has been changed to Fall.

This was on their Facebook page on 7/31, however they also state registration should open 9/1 and it's still TBD on the IM site:

OCHSNER IRONMAN 70.3 NEW ORLEANS - NEW FALL DATE ANNOUNCED
Premier Event Management is proud to announce that the 9th annual Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans will take place on Sunday, October 22, 2017! "We are so glad to move to our new fall date for the 2017 racing season", stated race director Bill Burke.
"This change has been discussed for the last two years and we could not be more excited for our athletes, the city of New Orleans and our production team", stated Burke.
Here is just a few of the many factors that played a role in this move to the fall of 2017.
Easter falls on our 2017 spring weekend in April, so IM New Orleans would have to compete with the New Orleans French Quarter Festival which last year had attendance of over 780,000 participants. This would affect the number of first responders that work on this event from a police and EMS stand point.
IM Texas has moved out of May to a new April 22nd date for 2017 which would hamper our ability to gain traction with registration in the valuable Texas market.
Whenever Easter falls in April, we loose possibly three weekends in that month because of Easter, French Quarter Festival and of course the New Orleans Jazz Festival.
October is the driest month of the year in New Orleans with lower humidity and temperatures on average for that weekend in October. Averages are: 53% Humidity, Low Temp. 61 Degrees, High Temp. 78 Degrees
Moving the event to October gives local, regional and national athletes the opportunity to train throughout the spring, summer and early fall before the competition takes place from South Shore Harbor.
Registration will tentatively open on Thursday, September 1st 2016 for the 2017 Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans event, so please mark your calendar. Thanks for your cooperation and your continued support of the 9th Annual Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans! Stay tune towww.ironmanneworleans.com for registration and other important information on the 2017 event!
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 NOLA 2017 [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks. My husband is from there. The race has traditionally been on the weekend of his birthday, and Jazz Fest is the following weekend. It is also the peak of crawfish season. We were hoping to go down there for the race/his birthday/Jazz Fest in 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh. That is weird then. Hope it's going to happen.

I did like the option of that early season race, but being in October is equally as intriguing......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.active.com/...0-3-new-orleans-2017

Open on Active but not IM site, it looks like.

Same with St.Croix i believe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Definitely eases the stress on the city since the spring is so busy.

I wonder whether it will be a pro race. Pro races are only posted through end of June right now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 NOLA 2017 [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SusanH wrote:
http://www.active.com/new-orleans-la/triathlon/races/ochsner-ironman-70-3-new-orleans-2017

Open on Active but not IM site, it looks like.

Same with St.Croix i believe?

That says registration unavailable to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does now for me too. It was open when I found it on search engine.
Errant open date setting in Active apparently. It did seem odd that Ironman didn't have it listed, but Active did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spring weather is too hit or miss here. Last year the swim was like a washing machine from what I've heard, and the wind was insane.

Mid-late October is just about perfect racing weather here.
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 NOLA 2017 [RussTKD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did see on the Facebook page it was mentioned it will be opening in the next few weeks.

At least a year in advance was mentioned, so that means by the 22nd.
Quote Reply