Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! (with update from USATF 50k)
Quote | Reply
Hi ST! My new bride and I were incredibly fortunate to represent the USA at the IAAF World Mountain Running Championships this past week. This is the story of our Italian honeymoon adventure. Expect lots of gelato and patriotism.

Thanks for everything over the years! We owe you all so much. For training insights and stupid observations, follow us on Twitter @MountainRoche and @MegRoche33 and on Strava (links to athlete pages: David and Megan)

Report:

Team USA women were 3rd, taking home the bronze! The men finished 4th. Megan was 21st overall and 2nd US woman. I was 59th and 6th US man. We had 12 servings of gelato apiece. We signed dozens of autographs. And we said "Italy is beautiful" almost as many times as we said "I love you" and "You smell kinda funky."

It was a great trip.

Red, white, and blue love.

Pre-Race:

At the U.S Mountain Running Championships in July, Megan and I secured spots on Team USA for Worlds. Over the next 2 months, we raced 10 times (including winning a national championship!), got hitched, and fell in love all over again on the trails of California, Utah, Colorado, and North Carolina. It's a dirty, mud-spackled love that smells like a musty basement and is fueled by Gu and ice cream.

A week before jet-setting with Team USA to Italy, we did one more thing together...WE SIGNED WITH NIKE! (more details inthis Competitor Magazine article) Nike is moving into the trail scene in a big way--the Nike Trail Elite Squad is loaded with the best runners on single-track, with studs like Chris Vargo, Alex Varner, Mario Mendoza, David Laney, Ryan Ghelfi, and Worlds teammates Zach Miller and Patrick Smyth. Studettes include Sally McRae, Emily Harrison, Clara Peterson, and Alicia Shay. It's an honor to join the Nike family and rock their awesome shoes: the Wildhorse 2 and the Terra Kiger 2. With Nike, you know that every decision from the engineering floor to the marketing department is thought out. It's an honor to know we'll always be wearing the best shoes, have the best teammates, and run for the best company.

Megan's wedding shoes were ready for some trail adventures.

So on Wednesday, we grabbed our passports and boarded a plane destined for the land of Nutella. 24 hours later, we landed full of groggy excitement. And the Italian adventure began.

On the bus ride to the hotel, we passed the leaning tower of Pisa, which is smaller than you'd guess and curves to the left, which is not an assessment most men or buildings would be happy with. We arrived at the hotel and learned a new term: Italian time. I am still not quite sure what it means, but it's either 15 min early or 45 min late. Just anything but on time.

The view from the start. We finished...up there :)

Megan and I met teammates Megan Lund-Lizotte and Josh Eberly for a shake out along the Mediterranean, where I learned that the ideal for male beach fashion seems to be Borat's bathing suit. After 6 easy miles, Josh and I dunked in the water. A small, adorable boy came up to us, and reached down into the water to pull off his pants. After about 15 seconds, he pulled them back up and walked back to shore. Our ice bath became slightly less icy.

We had a team meeting and a buffet dinner, closed by a heaping serving of gelato. True fact: there were 6 gelato shops within a 1.5 block radius of our hotel. AKA heaven has an Italian PO box.

Recovery food.

Megan and I were energized, but we had slept only 2 hours in the last 36. So we tucked into bed, expecting a good night's rest, and...we couldn't sleep. This began a theme, where we were exhausted but had trouble passing out. And one more disconcerting thing...we did not poop. Like the buses, our bodies seemed to be operating on Italian time.

The next day (Friday before a Sunday race), we ran easy in the morning and previewed the course in the afternoon. The course was the most beautiful, epic mix of single-track, rock climbing, and ancient city running. During an off-trail scramble at the 7k mark, I made my decision: I was going to go for it. I may only get this opportunity once, and I'd always regret not giving myself the chance for a great result. Plus, Team USA's best chance at medaling would be an amazing performance from Zach, Josh, or I (the other 3 men, Joe Gray, Patrick Smyth, and Eric Blake, are consistently studly and 4 score). Having a strategy was liberating. It was going to be a beautiful victory for Team USA, or a beautiful disaster for me.

Go for it. No regrets.

Temporarily flag-bearing before the Opening Ceremonies.

We killed time with our amazing teammates over the next day and a half. The women were incredible--Megan Lund-Lizotte is a supermom and one of the best mountain runners in the World, Allie McLaughlin is going to be a legend one day soon and is one of the most delightful people I've ever met, and Juliane Masciana is an awesome runner with one of the best perspectives I've ever been around. The men were equally impressive, from Joe Gray's calm confidence to Zach's inspiring story and amazing running range. Waking up the morning of the race, both Megan and I were just unbelievably excited to wear red, white, and blue with such an amazing group of people.

Team USA women were relaxed at the Opening Ceremonies.

At 8 AM, the women were bused up the mountain to their start. Before we parted ways, Megan and I had one minute alone together in a tight Italian alleyway. My bride looked stunning in her singlet, beautiful in her bib. We smiled, kissed, and didn't say anything. Time to run up a mountain, like we'd done a hundred times together. See you at the top.

Race:

The men's team got together and made the trip to Forno, where our race began. Hundreds of runners from all over the world milled in the streets, nervous energy having a palpable presence. Well, it was there for everyone but Joe and Patrick. They just looked relaxed and ready, and that confidence spread to the rest of the team. It had only been a few days, but I loved this team and the colors we were wearing. I couldn't wait to bury myself for USA.

Red, white, and blue warm-up.

But first, the start line. To put it simply, it was a shit show. There was no rhyme or reason to the madness other than a general directive to line up alphabetically. I got intimate with Ukraine and to third base with Uganda. I know Eastern European men have a reputation for being smelly, but that's unfair. Across the globe, all men smell like armpit. It unites us.

The gun sounded, and the stampede began. Somehow, Team USA got out cleanly and the six of us had good position on the first mile through Forno. The plan was to be well-positioned when the single-track began at mile 1.5, and we were executing, with all of us in the top 15. Mile 1 had 200+ feet of climbing...my watch beeped the split at 4:52. This was going to be interesting.

This alleyway was 200 meters into the race.

Left turn onto a set of steps and the race truly began. Immediately, Joe, Patrick, the Ugandans, the Eritreans, and a few Italians distanced themselves from the pack. Almost as immediately, I could feel the power sapping away from my legs. It felt like I had done a few sets of squats and some lunges. I fought for position up the climb to Casette, falling to 20th or 25th but in a good place at 4k. As I would soon learn, the climbing had barely begun.

Up through the town we swept, bounding over stairs and alleyways. I think I saw a goat wearing a cowbell, but that could have been oxygen deprivation. I began to struggle mightily on the stairs and into the most technical portion of the course. My legs bellowed with a dull, low sound that I hadn't felt in years. I asked, but didn't get a response. I fought, hard, but it was not going to be my day.

Another warm-up picture, just before the single-track.

To be honest, I may have DNF'd if not for the red, white, and blue on my back. I've always thought love of country is stupid. Who can love soil? Why should an accident of birth determine destiny? But on that mountain, so thoroughly deep in the pain cave that I could not even conceive of the light at the other side, I think I began to understand. It is not the soil, it is the idea. It is not an accident of birth, but an intentional way of living life.

I was going to finish. I was going to fight. USA! USA!

When it comes to food, Italy! Italy!

But boy did it hurt. I moved up 10 places on the flats and downs, and got dropped like a stone on the steep stuff. My girl was waiting at the top, and I spent the last 10 minutes with nothing left in my legs, but lots of love in my heart. I reached the top of the mountain and the finish, where my amazing teammates were waiting. We were all slightly disappointed, but were able to fight for 4th in the world on a tough day.

And that's when I heard the best news--Megan was amazing and finished 21st in the world. The women took home the bronze.

We were at the top of a mountain, like a hundred times before. And we hugged, our hearts filled with a red, white, and blue love.

The women celebrate at the closing ceremonies!

Thanks so much to everyone. When I started this blog, I had never run more than a few miles and was years away from meeting Megan. Your support over the years has changed everything. A special thanks to Richard, Nancy, Paul, and Ellen with Team USA. Italy was an unforgettable experience, and it never would have happened without all of you.

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Last edited by: DaveRoche: Sep 24, 14 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and the marriage.

BTW, we're on our honeymoon and can't seem to fall asleep. Whatever shall we do...?

Oh, that's right- gotta save the legs. :-)

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw shucks! Can't read it now no time!

Saw a few pictures over on running.competitor.com a couple of days ago. The race like literally went through the quarries. Congrats on the wedding again and also on the race, you won right?

I will be back to read the report later.
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:

Saw a few pictures over on running.competitor.com a couple of days ago. The race like literally went through the quarries. Congrats on the wedding again and also on the race, you won right?

Yeah he won, didn't you see the pictures of his wife?

Great report. Pretty envious. I'm not a nationalistic type, but would love to race in that jersey.

Congrats to the both of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and the Nike deal.

FYI - for an Alleyway in Italy you went pretty mild

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your race reports are consistently one of the best parts of ST. And congrats on the sponsorship!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, as always. Congrats on the trifecta!

It's amazing that someone like you represents the USA.

If you're not exactly sure what I mean by that it's ok. Neither do I ;)
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
antonbp wrote:
Congrats!!!

Thank you so much!!!! I out exclamation pointed you. DO NOT MESS WITH THE MASTER OF EXCESSIVE PUNCTUATION?!?!@?!44n;a;ethq3oi52

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Congrats on the race and the marriage.

BTW, we're on our honeymoon and can't seem to fall asleep. Whatever shall we do...?

Oh, that's right- gotta save the legs. :-)

That's a good point. I always found couples knitting is awfully erotic. Emphasis on awful. Needles in sensitive places.

Thanks for being awesome!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:

Haha, you're great. I so did not win that it was pretty epic in its own right. But I learned way more about myself from that race than any of my wins.

If you read this in the future, let me know how the hoverboards are? And if we live in a world with high-waisted pants and OS systems that we can make sweet love to! Also, let me know if you've seen "Her." Because if not, that sentence is really creepy.

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sojourner wrote:
Staz wrote:

Yeah he won, didn't you see the pictures of his wife?

Great report. Pretty envious. I'm not a nationalistic type, but would love to race in that jersey.

Congrats to the both of you.

You're awesome, thanks. Luckily those pictures are not smell-o-vision. Win some, lose some, I guess.

And I totally agree with you on nationalism. However, Italy won the women's team title, and I got a bit teary-eyed when they played the anthem. 10,000 people were at the closing ceremonies in this big square and they all sang!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:

Thanks so much Bootsy. Also, it seems like a tame alleyway, but there were a number of stray cats as well. I can deal with fast Catalonians and feral cats, but not both at once.

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [dwesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dwesley wrote:
Your race reports are consistently one of the best parts of ST. And congrats on the sponsorship!

That means the world to me! The blog started out as posts on ST like 7 years ago at this point. You're the best!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last person that called me that, well lets just say they haven't been seen in a while.

At least you can remember your racing in Italy, one of my trips there is pretty blurry

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this many replies and no one has asked, did you finally poop? Or did you wait until you were back on US soil?
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Last person that called me that, well lets just say they haven't been seen in a while.

At least you can remember your racing in Italy, one of my trips there is pretty blurry

:) I would love to hear the story of that blurry strip.

Side story: we ordered Nutella gelato at one point, and it tasted like straight Nutella. It was pre-race, so we decided to do a scientific test. We took this hulking bowl of gelato back to our room to see what would happen. It did not melt. I think they may have been playing a joke on us.

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Re: World Mountain Running Champs Race Report! [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
this many replies and no one has asked, did you finally poop? Or did you wait until you were back on US soil?

I pooped once in 6 days. It was so horrible. I have never had something like this happen. By the end of the trip, I was the saddest constipated panda.

My digestive tract is very patriotic, apparently. Is this a common issue? It was my first trip overseas!

------
David Roche
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That might not have helped your performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it involves a Duathlon World Championship, a bunch of 25 - 29 AG athletes, Red Bull, and Free drinks at a bar willing to stay open all night. Winning Gold had its perks .

It ended with vomiting in Florence (a couple hours from where we raced) and a marriage proposal upon returning to the states (not from me, one of the girls I was partying with had a pretty nervous boyfriend back home, rightfully so)

You might still be too young for the rest if you're only hanging out in alleys that have cats.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on everything Dave (and to your beautiful wife) ... met you a few times and you're just a cool dude - I'm glad to see a former baseball/football player (like myself) crush it in running (and formerly duathlon).

When I saw your placing I thought Holy Sh!t there must have been some insane talent at Worlds!!

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the consistently amazing race reports. I thoroughly enjoy each of your posts. Your love of running shines through each and every time. Congrats to you on the wedding and being at the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww, Dave, 6/10. Running, well, yeah, it had to be done. Major points for Italian time, too.

Let's talk about cappucinos, saying Ciao as both a greeting and a parting salutation, road construction with no end date, as well as not getting tree or building rash. Those, indeed, are what the weekend consisted of, despite all the pretty words and pictures!

Sorry I couldn't make it down from my usual lofty perch in the Switz, I'm in the US and won't be back until Oct 09, so I suck and didn't make it.

But congrats again to you and Megan, studettes both in your own right. :)

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone race with poles? They are popular in Europe, especially in Italy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
FF Boots wrote:

Thanks so much Bootsy. Also, it seems like a tame alleyway, but there were a number of stray cats as well. I can deal with fast Catalonians and feral cats, but not both at once.
You dont know how proud make me feel to read "Catalonians" here in ST....we r such a small country but with plenty great sports people (Pau and Marc Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Ibaka recently representing Spain in the BasketballWorlds, Marc Marquez in Moto GP, Mireia Belmonte swimming, amazing Kilian Jornet in your sport and so many more are from Catalunya....we hope one day we can represent our nation!

Congratulations for your amazing results and weding!
Quote Reply

Prev Next