Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jackets wrote:
r0bh wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Us Brits having a shocker, what's the fall out going to be like after this? Maybe we pick up a couple of more medals in the relays and obviously Mo.

Is there a chance of funds being pulled?

Five 4th places so far though, and all from young athletes so is it really that bad? Apart from KJT in the hep and maybe Muir in the 1500 has anyone really underperformed? The 6-8 medal target seemed rather optimistic to me.

Hopefuly the people making the decisions see it that way, there's a lot of money being pumped into sport (The majority lottery isn't it?) I'm sure there are a few nervous people in charge at a high level worried over there jobs.

Looks like GB got into the finals in the 4x400 for tonite. It is too bad how funding like this works in most countries, but rewarding only after winning vs rewarding for potential so you can use the money and build and win. Basically it's like VC's funding a company once they have success vs funding a company that has high potential and needs money to get to success. So in essence, the next generation of potential can only get funded if the current generation is winning. By definition the next gen is not winning "yet" even though you may be sitting on a future Usein Bolt or Mo Farah. You need the current champions winning to bring in money for the next round the way things are funded in most countries. The US is a different animal because they effectively have a pro sports farm system built into their university system with an insane amount of private sector money coming into Div 1 sports via gates receipts, TV and sponsorships for the biggest sports funding the other sports. The rest of the world does not put any real emphasis on sport in the college system (as it should be). So then its down to the sports funding themselves through sponsorship, gate receipts, memberships and govt $$$ infusions.

I find that funding policy strange too. Isn't it obvious that in sports you need to follow a long term plan and can't expect immediate success when building something from scratch. In Switzerland it is a bit different too. We have no highschool and college sports system but are organised through clubs. If you are a promising runner or sprinter you receive no support through school but you attend an athletics club after school.
We also need to be careful with out talent, as our pool is very small.

I am looking forward to the 5000 tonight. Mo looked very strong last friday and in the prelims. But when it gets as nervous as on Wednesday a lot can tappen. My money is still on Mo though, as I am no fool.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Jackets wrote:
r0bh wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Us Brits having a shocker, what's the fall out going to be like after this? Maybe we pick up a couple of more medals in the relays and obviously Mo.

Is there a chance of funds being pulled?

Five 4th places so far though, and all from young athletes so is it really that bad? Apart from KJT in the hep and maybe Muir in the 1500 has anyone really underperformed? The 6-8 medal target seemed rather optimistic to me.

Hopefuly the people making the decisions see it that way, there's a lot of money being pumped into sport (The majority lottery isn't it?) I'm sure there are a few nervous people in charge at a high level worried over there jobs.

Looks like GB got into the finals in the 4x400 for tonite. It is too bad how funding like this works in most countries, but rewarding only after winning vs rewarding for potential so you can use the money and build and win. Basically it's like VC's funding a company once they have success vs funding a company that has high potential and needs money to get to success. So in essence, the next generation of potential can only get funded if the current generation is winning. By definition the next gen is not winning "yet" even though you may be sitting on a future Usein Bolt or Mo Farah. You need the current champions winning to bring in money for the next round the way things are funded in most countries. The US is a different animal because they effectively have a pro sports farm system built into their university system with an insane amount of private sector money coming into Div 1 sports via gates receipts, TV and sponsorships for the biggest sports funding the other sports. The rest of the world does not put any real emphasis on sport in the college system (as it should be). So then its down to the sports funding themselves through sponsorship, gate receipts, memberships and govt $$$ infusions.

I find that funding policy strange too. Isn't it obvious that in sports you need to follow a long term plan and can't expect immediate success when building something from scratch. In Switzerland it is a bit different too. We have no highschool and college sports system but are organised through clubs. If you are a promising runner or sprinter you receive no support through school but you attend an athletics club after school.
We also need to be careful with out talent, as our pool is very small.

I am looking forward to the 5000 tonight. Mo looked very strong last friday and in the prelims. But when it gets as nervous as on Wednesday a lot can tappen. My money is still on Mo though, as I am no fool.

Smaller countries really do have to optimze how they allocate their sports dollars if they want champions to emerge given the smaller gene pool and participant base to pick from. USA can easily use the brute force "survival of the strongest" approach as there is enough depth and enough capital in the system for the worlds best to emerge out of such a system. To some extent, GB at around 1/6th of the us could do reasonably well, just through a survival of the fittest approach. Smaller countries really need to be smart. I'd hold up New Zealand as a gold standard of how many world class athletes they produce across sports given the tiny sub 5 million population and given that so many get sucked into Rugby and Cricket (which by the way, they are basically the top tier in all the time....it's insane they can constantly beat India in cricket with 1300 million in India vs <5M in NZ....and it baffles me how badly India can suck in track too. No reason why India cannot produce high caliber middle distance and long distance runners. Sprinting is a different animal).

Back to the racing. Mo on deck at 20:20 UK time (15:20 EDT for me) and Bolt on at 21:50 (16:50 EDT). Here we go!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any predictions?

I say for the 5000m, Mo cranks out a 52.xx final lap
To win the 4x100m, my prediction it will take at least a 37.25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There guys are idiots....71 second lap 2 and 3.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Any predictions?

I say for the 5000m, Mo cranks out a 52.xx final lap
To win the 4x100m, my prediction it will take at least a 37.25

I got the 52.xx last lap correct but assumed that if Mo did that he would win!!! Awesome race!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the medal table isn't looking too bad tonight for us Brits! Well done the mens 4x100.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Well the medal table isn't looking too bad tonight for us Brits! Well done the mens 4x100.

....and I was wrong that it would take a sub 37.25 for the win. Really awesome race by the Brits on both relays!!! Good final day for you guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jackets wrote:

....and I was wrong that it would take a sub 37.25 for the win. Really awesome race by the Brits on both relays!!! Good final day for you guys!

It was all doom and gloom yesterday, I was even wondering if it was possible we'd get some funds pulled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A reminder of the fact that you best consider you may be photographed at any given moment and your behavior may be immortalized during any of those moments.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 5000 m reminded me of a cycling "finale". Tiernan went away but was no real threat. But you still have to make sure th e breakaway does not get too much room. Farah was the favourite (the jellow Jersey, or Peter Sagan, the world champion) and the ethiopians let him do the work and keep Tiernan at bay.
At the Ende they even set up a small sprint train.

But the winner was the strongest yesterday. He did win because he was the fittest and also applied smart tactics. Farah likely still felt that 26:49 and the prelims. After all it only shows he is human.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
That 5000 m reminded me of a cycling "finale". Tiernan went away but was no real threat. But you still have to make sure th e breakaway does not get too much room. Farah was the favourite (the jellow Jersey, or Peter Sagan, the world champion) and the ethiopians let him do the work and keep Tiernan at bay.
At the Ende they even set up a small sprint train.

But the winner was the strongest yesterday. He did win because he was the fittest and also applied smart tactics. Farah likely still felt that 26:49 and the prelims. After all it only shows he is human.

This is a great analogy. My wife felt that Farah (the yellow jersey guy) was doing way too much work keeping the "breakaway" close enough. Meanwhile the "other teams' were drafting and saving energy for the stage finish sprint. Those 71 second early laps could have played into his hands if he chose to sit at the middle or back as he has done for many races and draft. At 60 second lap speed with full frontal it is 24 kph. They are pushing way more air than an aero cyclist at that speed. Drafting is probably equivalent to what a cyclist may experience in the low 30 kph range so it is pretty significant. It seems like Mo had no draft for the mile of race (which they ran in exactly 4 minutes) and ran out of gas for his usual sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is Halvard???....Ingebritson the white kenyan dives for bronze. Brilliant race! Do the Kenyans give him honorary Kenyan status?

By the way, Sebastian Coe beats these guys in 1984!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 13, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno which race you were watching! To me it looks like he put the squeeze on the guy on the inside, saw he was still coming and just plain cut him off with a few metres to go, for which he received a shove over the line! I can't see that result standing.

Anyway, what's the collective thoughts on the women's 5000m?! I was not surprised to hear that these are Ayana's first races outside of Ethiopia this year... what a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I dunno which race you were watching! To me it looks like he put the squeeze on the guy on the inside, saw he was still coming and just plain cut him off with a few metres to go, for which he received a shove over the line! I can't see that result standing.

Anyway, what's the collective thoughts on the women's 5000m?! I was not surprised to hear that these are Ayana's first races outside of Ethiopia this year... what a joke.

Pink: Well she loaded up on Special Teff as usually. But for the kick she would need some additional Jamaican Superbananas. But they have a hard time harvesting it over there, so they won't give any away. It's not even enough for themsleves, as proven again right now.

Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched Gabby Logan talk with Denise Louise the other day and the latter mentioned Team GB was expecting six medals. With the medal table now final it seems they were spot on, but boy do they owe Dwayne Cowan after that second 400. A simply magnificent run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The BBC wankfest of Usain Bolt has been an absolute cringe fest!

Skynews Sports headlines yesterday Bolt gets injured NOT Britain unexpectedly win Gold 4x100 relay!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
The BBC wankfest of Usain Bolt has been an absolute cringe fest!

i noted that the U.S. 4x1 relay got roundly booed because of the presence of that doper gatlin, whereas the jamaicans got roundly cheered despite the presence of that doper yohan blake.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, seems there is an irrational appeal for the Jamaican team due to the love for Bolt in the UK.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is more complex than just saying they are both dopers. When you compare the nature of Gatlin's two bans, in particular the second, to Blake's one. Blake's ban is more similar to Gatlin's first, if Gatlin had only committed the doping offence that led to the first ban I don't think he'd be getting the same reception.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

This IAAF World's in London is supposed to be Bolt's retirement party! The start list is up posted by season's best that you can get from the IAAF page: https://www.iaaf.org/...reviews-2017-world-c

Just posting on some of my favourite events/atheltes that I am looking forward to:

100m F: Elaine Thompson should be the queen. Will Daphne Schippers (NL) be best of the rest?

100m: 21 year old Christian Coleman has run the season's best with a 9.82. Andre de Grasse, a year older pushed Bolt "a bit" last year at Rio. The young guys are coming on strong. I still want Bolt to go out with this win. Let's see. Gatlin on deck to push all these guys.

200m: Interesting that the fastest 200m times this year have been posted out of the continent of Africa: Van Niekerk 19.84 and Maklawa (from Botswana) 19.79. I am hoping our local boy Andre de Grasse can push these guys and Bolt for a medal

400m F: Is there a more technically beautiful runner than Allyson Felix. This seems like her race to lose

400m: I'm going for Van Niekerk all the way. Love this guy's running form. Makwala from Botswana posted a 43.70 this year. These Afrcians are fast

4x100: Season fastest times don't mean a ton since you never have the fast guys running together for their national team for the big meets. This should be the domain of a massive USA vs Jamaica smackdown....Great Britian and Canada have the two fastest times this year. Women's competition should be a Jamaica vs USA. I love the relays (more so the 4x100, but 4x400m is awesome....look out for Botswana men in the 4x400 to post a sub 3 min time).

Jumping up to the 5000m, the Ethopians Edris and Barega posted 12:55 times this year. Will they take it out in a drag race and try to wear down Mo Farah, or let his sit in for a sprint and give him the win at home? Of course the problem with this plan is that Mo's 5000m PB is 12:53....so he's going to sit in on all you idiots and still try to outkick you. In the 10000m Mo has run the 3rd fastest time this season. Rupp is on deck in this event. From Canada, we have Mohammad Ahmad who has been close to the front with all these guys....let's see what he can do in the 5k/10K double

OK, let's get the banter going since the Tour and Wimbledon are over the Vuelta has not started, US Open is still on the horizon, there is no Euro or FIFA World Cup this summer, Swimming worlds are done today, gotta wait for doped out NFL and Euro Pro Football till Sep and otherwise I am stuck with Nascar and Baseball...well on a plus note Tim Raines hits Cooperstown today.....GO ROCK!!!!

I think Bolt will win the 100, he always seems to peak at the right time. Don't think he's running the 200 though. Kwemoi will crush the 1500
Don't think Rupp has a spot, hes only an alternate after his very disappointing performance during US 10k nationals, seems he's having a tough time after moving to marathon. Believe SloMo will win the 10000 in a slow race as usual. Bekele dropped out of the marathon claiming he's unfit, hopefully that means he will run Berlin instead and we will get an epic battle with Kipchoge and Kipsang.
As I hoped, Bekele is now racing Berlin! The record is going down! I predict a sub 61 half and a brutal second half. Dev, time to stop following the lycra-crew at vuelta and get back to where the real action is, road racing!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
oscaro wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

This IAAF World's in London is supposed to be Bolt's retirement party! The start list is up posted by season's best that you can get from the IAAF page: https://www.iaaf.org/...reviews-2017-world-c

Just posting on some of my favourite events/atheltes that I am looking forward to:

100m F: Elaine Thompson should be the queen. Will Daphne Schippers (NL) be best of the rest?

100m: 21 year old Christian Coleman has run the season's best with a 9.82. Andre de Grasse, a year older pushed Bolt "a bit" last year at Rio. The young guys are coming on strong. I still want Bolt to go out with this win. Let's see. Gatlin on deck to push all these guys.

200m: Interesting that the fastest 200m times this year have been posted out of the continent of Africa: Van Niekerk 19.84 and Maklawa (from Botswana) 19.79. I am hoping our local boy Andre de Grasse can push these guys and Bolt for a medal

400m F: Is there a more technically beautiful runner than Allyson Felix. This seems like her race to lose

400m: I'm going for Van Niekerk all the way. Love this guy's running form. Makwala from Botswana posted a 43.70 this year. These Afrcians are fast

4x100: Season fastest times don't mean a ton since you never have the fast guys running together for their national team for the big meets. This should be the domain of a massive USA vs Jamaica smackdown....Great Britian and Canada have the two fastest times this year. Women's competition should be a Jamaica vs USA. I love the relays (more so the 4x100, but 4x400m is awesome....look out for Botswana men in the 4x400 to post a sub 3 min time).

Jumping up to the 5000m, the Ethopians Edris and Barega posted 12:55 times this year. Will they take it out in a drag race and try to wear down Mo Farah, or let his sit in for a sprint and give him the win at home? Of course the problem with this plan is that Mo's 5000m PB is 12:53....so he's going to sit in on all you idiots and still try to outkick you. In the 10000m Mo has run the 3rd fastest time this season. Rupp is on deck in this event. From Canada, we have Mohammad Ahmad who has been close to the front with all these guys....let's see what he can do in the 5k/10K double

OK, let's get the banter going since the Tour and Wimbledon are over the Vuelta has not started, US Open is still on the horizon, there is no Euro or FIFA World Cup this summer, Swimming worlds are done today, gotta wait for doped out NFL and Euro Pro Football till Sep and otherwise I am stuck with Nascar and Baseball...well on a plus note Tim Raines hits Cooperstown today.....GO ROCK!!!!

I think Bolt will win the 100, he always seems to peak at the right time. Don't think he's running the 200 though. Kwemoi will crush the 1500
Don't think Rupp has a spot, hes only an alternate after his very disappointing performance during US 10k nationals, seems he's having a tough time after moving to marathon. Believe SloMo will win the 10000 in a slow race as usual. Bekele dropped out of the marathon claiming he's unfit, hopefully that means he will run Berlin instead and we will get an epic battle with Kipchoge and Kipsang.

As I hoped, Bekele is now racing Berlin! The record is going down! I predict a sub 61 half and a brutal second half. Dev, time to stop following the lycra-crew at vuelta and get back to where the real action is, road racing!

LOL, no one cares about Froome vs Nibali vs Contador at the Vuelta....we're more worried about H2OFun's bike training plan (or lack of it). Berlin should be much better than the fake news gong show that Nike put on at Monza
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
oscaro wrote:
oscaro wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

LOL, no one cares about Froome vs Nibali vs Contador at the Vuelta....we're more worried about H2OFun's bike training plan (or lack of it). Berlin should be much better than the fake news gong show that Nike put on at Monza
Lol, who's Chris froome and what's his 10k pr? If it's not sub 27, why are we even talking about him! I'm always more worried about the lack of cookies in H2O's diet!
Maybe fake news, but I think it gave kipchoge some great confidence which I think is needed for this to become an epic race. If they all just want to win it will prob be a boring high 2:04 race, but if they all think they can get the wr (which I think they all can, and Kipsang/Bekele won't have many more chances) it could be epic! Can't see kipsang and choge wanting to leave it to the kick as likely Kenenisa will win that race. I'm thinking Bekele must be in good shape for entering, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the record came down under 2:02 if conditions are good

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next