Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

So as a 40th birthday present to myself, I'm going to be buying my first (and probably last) tri bike. Till now I've been riding an old Trek 1200 with clip-on bars.

Given the various sales that are on, and the fact that I want Di2 on the bike, I've narrowed it down to the three choices above, and am looking for suggestions about what to go for. There's no local bike shop with tri bikes around, so it's going to be mail order whatever I do. As far as I can see, the pros/cons for each choice are as follows:

IA10: Excellent spec, wheels will need upgrading (which at the current sale price will take it up to the cost of PRFive)
B2: Most adjustable? Will need new wheels. As expensive as the IA10 given that the latter is on sale
PRFive: (this is the race version) excellent spec, more adjustable than the IA10 (as it looks like a standard stem)? comes with race wheels already, but I'll need to buy some training wheels. I'm not enamoured with the look of this bike for some reason.

If it matters, I'm 183cm tall with an inside leg of 85cm, and not super flexible (though am working on it). I had someone do a bike fit for me on my road bike, but was told that the stack/reach figures from that fit don't translate due to the new position I'll be in. I guess part of what I'm wondering is how "long and low" each of the above bikes are, and how adjustable.

All thoughts/recommendations are very welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [jhudsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt have a great calculator on there site for sizing. If it fits, an IA10. You wont hear many bad things about that bike said round here. Fast bike with an electronic groupset at a really reasonable cost.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've tried the calculator, and was a bit confused - it has different outputs for IA and IAx; is the IA the IA FRD? Also, I'm not sure how well my road bike stack/reach translate to a tri bike configuration due to the different angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting a proper fit is the obvious answer here, very much worth it, especially with such a big purchase.

But in terms of the fit calculator. I belive that the IA are the 'older' frames (=<2015), and the IAx are the newer frames (2016). The naming convention is single number for the IA, so the IA2, IA4 etc and the IAx would be the IA10, IA14 etc. I think the FRD is of the older style. And without looking, I think I am correct in assuming the older models have the fairing cover the front brake and a slightly different geometery. (Hence the two options in the fit calc).

EDIT: Someone please chime in if I have this the wrong way around! I could be making a very expensive mistake in the next couple of days if its not right..... (I too am in the market for an IA10)
Last edited by: trihard1980: May 27, 16 4:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just about the same size as you, 6'0'' with 34'' inseam. I was measured and fit on the IA16 this year and got a size 56. Despite having only one stem, the bike really has a lot of adjustment. Reach is adjusted by moving the extensions and stack can be pedestaled up about 4 cm.

I'm still amazed at how fast this the IA is. I came off of a Kestrel 4000 which is about the same aerodynamically as a B2 and probably close to the QR. This bike blows their doors off! I am amazed at the difference.

Get the IA10, you won't regret it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was hoping to hear :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard1980 wrote:
Getting a proper fit is the obvious answer here, very much worth it, especially with such a big purchase.

But in terms of the fit calculator. I belive that the IA are the 'older' frames (=<2015), and the IAx are the newer frames (2016). The naming convention is single number for the IA, so the IA2, IA4 etc and the IAx would be the IA10, IA14 etc. I think the FRD is of the older style. And without looking, I think I am correct in assuming the older models have the fairing cover the front brake and a slightly different geometery. (Hence the two options in the fit calc).

EDIT: Someone please chime in if I have this the wrong way around! I could be making a very expensive mistake in the next couple of days if its not right..... (I too am in the market for an IA10)

The right way to think about this is IA OG (FRD, 1-4) are one geometry, and the IAx (10-16) are another. I think this is what you are saying. And yes, the OG has the integrated front brake whereas the IAx does not. Handy table from Dan is here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhudsy wrote:
IA10: Excellent spec, wheels will need upgrading (which at the current sale price will take it up to the cost of PRFive)
B2: Most adjustable? Will need new wheels. As expensive as the IA10 given that the latter is on sale
PRFive: (this is the race version) excellent spec, more adjustable than the IA10 (as it looks like a standard stem)? comes with race wheels already, but I'll need to buy some training wheels. I'm not enamoured with the look of this bike for some reason.

If it matters, I'm 183cm tall with an inside leg of 85cm, and not super flexible (though am working on it). I had someone do a bike fit for me on my road bike, but was told that the stack/reach figures from that fit don't translate due to the new position I'll be in. I guess part of what I'm wondering is how "long and low" each of the above bikes are, and how adjustable.

All thoughts/recommendations are very welcome.

Off the top of my head, the long and lowness of the above bikes goes 1) IAx (most long and low), 2) PRfive, 3) B2 (least long and low). This is for my personal geometry anyways, but I think it translates up. At any rate, the PR5 isn't in the same class as those other two in my opinion.

I ride the B2 and love it, but I often wish I had an IAx, mainly because it would fit me better. Holding front ends equal, the B2 is going to be more adjustable in general because it uses a standard stem rather than a fixed 90mm stem like the IAx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. iA is the 1,2,3,4. iAx is the 10,16.

Note the reach:xxx. This is an important number. Tells you whether the bike is a good length fit.

Note the 2 Felt IA models fit differently. Stems are 30mm or so different in length.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 27, 16 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it much more succinctly than myself! :)
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. I had to modify my existing reach co-ordinates as they are BB to back of pad (Retul fit), as the IAx calc requires BB to centre of pad, I added 35mm which I didnt think was a stretch, and coupled this together with a feeling that I am potentially more comfortable a little further forward.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"1) IAx (most long and low), 2) PRfive, 3) B2 (least long and low)."

the IA, IAx, and PR5 share virtually identical geometries. i would put it differently. i'd say the PR6 is taller because of its integrated stem that cannot go below a given height. i would also say the PR6 and the IAx share a common virtue (vice): they have medium to long stem that can't be made shorter.

"the PR5 isn't in the same class as those other two in my opinion"

i think the PR5 is a brilliant bike. it is aero, light, easy to adjust, easy to put in a bike box. it can be easily retrofitted with the Q Box (assuming the Q Box is in stock when you want to retrofit it).

I keep track of all the bike sales at all of our Road Shows. QR is so far the best selling bike, but this is partly due to which Road Show dealers sell which brands. still, QR #1, Cervelo #2, Felt #3. But, Felt didn't start activating at Road Shows until we were about halfway thru, so, you take a shop like Rocklin Endurance, they've been selling Felt after Felt after Felt since the Road Show.

these all have their virtues, but i think QR is (finally) in the same class as Felt and Cervelo.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a rule i add/subtract 40mm to get to/from back/mid pad. so your 35mm is in the ballpark. maybe better than my 40mm, i don't know. you're using a sound approach.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What / where is the sale on the Felt?
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wiggle.co.uk has 10% rather than 5% off for "gold" members, and 17 rather than 12 for platinum members. The PRFive is 30% off at the moment there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say the IA10 is more adjustable than the PRFive. The felt aero bar is more adjustable than the ones that look like they come with the PRfive. That is the difference that the IA10 adjusts at the aero bar and the QR you will need to mess around with different stems.
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to warn you that it's going to come very much apart. I saw my IA16 come out of the box. The aero bar is in a separate box inside the bike box and nothing on mine was cabled. Your will also have to be wired.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would say the IA10 is more adjustable than the PRFive. The felt aero bar is more adjustable than the ones that look like they come with the PRfive."

how do you figure? i like the IA10, but it comes with a 93mm stem. period. the PR5 comes with any stem you want. the PR5 comes with a profile that has, unless i'm mistaken, the J4 bracket, monumentally easy to adjust, huge height range.

yes, you can pull the extensions rearward on the felt bar and the armrest bracket along with it, but that means the pursuit bar stays put. PR5, you can change the stem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I would say the IA10 is more adjustable than the PRFive. The felt aero bar is more adjustable than the ones that look like they come with the PRfive."

how do you figure? i like the IA10, but it comes with a 93mm stem. period. the PR5 comes with any stem you want. the PR5 comes with a profile that has, unless i'm mistaken, the J4 bracket, monumentally easy to adjust, huge height range.

yes, you can pull the extensions rearward on the felt bar and the armrest bracket along with it, but that means the pursuit bar stays put. PR5, you can change the stem.

Yes the IA10 has less adjust-ability of the base bare position (although there are a couple stems that work with it, like I believe the tri rig X stem works with it also). I did not know that that profile bar had as much height adjustment at the felt bar.

The IA10 also allows tilting of the extensions and pads.

Of course if adjustablity is the main concern, the B2 is the way to go. Standard stem and the very adjustable bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt the single stem length makes it less adjustable, but the base bar can be flipped if you want more height for the brakes and the base bar could be trimmed to shorten the reach. Also, in the IAxx thread there is a short list of compatible stems. Also the bars can be tilted up with the extensions or they could be mounted under the base bar. And you get about 4 cm of pedestals to raise the extensions and pads

OK, so not as adjustable as the QR, but still a very adjustable front end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of stems fit the IA10.

PR5 is a great bike, too. The front brake alone from the IA10 to the PR5 is 3 watts in favor of the Felt, but put a TriRig on either and you'll get another 2-3 watts (~6 watts total on either bike).

I prefer the seat post on the PR5 as saddle position is more adjustable, though neither have a particularly easy-to-adjust saddle clamp. The ISM saddle on the QR is at least more likely to work for an athlete than the Prologo on the Felt but, let's face it, most will put the saddle of their choice on whatever bike they have.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"OK, so not as adjustable as the QR, but still a very adjustable front end."

don't get me wrong, i love the IAx, my post was a rebuttal to the notion that the IAx is more adjustable than the PR5.

let's not get over our skis. taking my size as an example, the IAx, IA, and Cervelo P2/3/5 in size 56, the QR PR5/6 in size 54, the speed concept in size L, the Dimond in size M, are all basically identical in geometry. what we're talking about now is the front end, and this is a good discussion. the front ends of these bikes do make a difference. the IA's stem is about 65mm more or less, the IAx is 93mm. each stem pitches the base bar out/back 30mm from each other. this makes a difference. none of it is a deal breaker but understanding these spatial relationships is important if you want your bike to be your bike, where it feels like an extension of you.

but none of these bikes are outliers. i'm building up a shiv right now, with a zipp vuka aero bar. now that is an outlier. i'm pretty much having to raise heaven and earth to get it to fit, because it's a tall geometry frame with a tall aerobar on a base bar that, as well as i can tell (and i might be wrong) does not accommodate the zipp undermount. so, i'm getting it to work, but not without a struggle. which i'll be writing about.

but this bike works great for somebody who does need that height (which i don't).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IA10 vs B2 vs QR PRFive [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Plenty of stems fit the IA10."

the way i look at that IAx - and you work with these bikes more than i do, so i'll defer to your opinion - there is no headset top cap. the IAx is kind of a tweener, not quite mortal, not quite super. i must assume that there's a bevel underneath that stem that conforms to the top bearing and centering/compression ring. yes?

if so, then i assume that the stems that fit are those with sufficient clearance (the stem is nested inside the leading edge of top tube storage). if you replace this nicely done stem with another, that means a headset top cap, it's no longer flush with the storage behind it. doable, but not as clean as the original stem. to me, this means a hack, just like you can always put a steerer stub on a speed concept. that's a hack.

what i will say is that a 93mm stem length is a good length. i prefer this to the PR6's 100mm to 120mm length or, for that matter, the IA's 60ish mm.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Plenty of stems fit the IA10."

the way i look at that IAx - and you work with these bikes more than i do, so i'll defer to your opinion - there is no headset top cap. the IAx is kind of a tweener, not quite mortal, not quite super. i must assume that there's a bevel underneath that stem that conforms to the top bearing and centering/compression ring. yes?

if so, then i assume that the stems that fit are those with sufficient clearance (the stem is nested inside the leading edge of top tube storage). if you replace this nicely done stem with another, that means a headset top cap, it's no longer flush with the storage behind it. doable, but not as clean as the original stem. to me, this means a hack, just like you can always put a steerer stub on a speed concept. that's a hack.

what i will say is that a 93mm stem length is a good length. i prefer this to the PR6's 100mm to 120mm length or, for that matter, the IA's 60ish mm.

Seems nitpicky.

I'd say

IA10 > PR5 >>>>>>>>>> B2 way down the list

PR5 will be easier to "deal with" in many ways vs. the IA10, but to be honest the IA10 is pretty damn easy to deal with. Direct mount rear brake is a HUGE plus over the integrated IA rear brake. Stick a fast front brake on there and you're good to go, basically having a super bike.

buttt...you could do the same thing with the PR5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Agreed...definitely not as clean and I think a good point. Felt is selling enough of these bikes that, I think, it would be smart to produce stems of different lengths.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next