Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hyperoxic Set up?
Quote | Reply
I know that this is fringe training stuff but there are articles that suggest benefits from hyperoxic training. Has anyone set one up at home or for a high performance training center?

FYI here are a couple of pictures showing athletes training with the set-up.

Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that are interested in a brief overview. Here is a link to an article in pezcycling.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...d=89335#.UjIpfRaAqH8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.setantacollege.com/...%20Training%20on.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16015135

Mixed results. It appears to work, but they aren't sure why.

Not sure that it's enough benefit to justify the expense, unless you're at the pointy end of the stick.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know you are a space nerd when you see this topic but read hypergolic, and then wonder why they aren't using LOX and RP-1 or LH.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read both of those articles. I am not certain what would be expensive about setting it up but it seems like you need an O2 tank, a mask, a reservoir, and that's about it.

It could be more useful if you live at altitude where your maximum exercise capacity is reduced.

I would just like a "grocery list" of the parts necessary to put it together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
I have read both of those articles. I am not certain what would be expensive about setting it up but it seems like you need an O2 tank, a mask, a reservoir, and that's about it.

It could be more useful if you live at altitude where your maximum exercise capacity is reduced.

Not sure if you can get a mask with a reservoir as a non medical. I suppose if you work in a hospital/medical environment you could get them with no problem. O2 tanks also, I don't know if you need a prescription for O2 to be able to get it or not. Also not sure what purpose the box in the middle between the tank and the runner is for, unless that's the reservoir rather than one hanging off of the mask.

You may be right, it may not be expensive, but I've never looked at the costs to refill a straight O2 tank. (Not even sure, but is that something you could get through a scuba shop?)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long before o2 ends up on WADA's list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The O2 tank can be acquired at a welding supply shop. You can either lease or buy the tank. I use one in a oxy-acetylene torch set. The last refill cost me about $30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
vikingmd wrote:

Not sure if you can get a mask with a reservoir as a non medical. I suppose if you work in a hospital/medical environment you could get them with no problem. O2 tanks also, I don't know if you need a prescription for O2 to be able to get it or not. Also not sure what purpose the box in the middle between the tank and the runner is for, unless that's the reservoir rather than one hanging off of the mask.

You may be right, it may not be expensive, but I've never looked at the costs to refill a straight O2 tank. (Not even sure, but is that something you could get through a scuba shop?)

John

one can buy some of this stuff on ebay. i live at altitude and briefly considered this last winter. my local medical supplier would set anyone up with o2 (yours may not; a quick call will help), but they recommended just buying the regulator on ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS they weren't even surprised by the request. they said they've gotten it before (for athletics).

now that we're rolling into winter, i'm considering it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
How long before o2 ends up on WADA's list?

-----

The use of O2 at the end of stages in Ultraman Canada was banned after someone was found to be using it a few years ago..Same for the use of IV's

----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do supplemental oxygen work for specific high-intensity workouts with a specific preparation in mind. (Typically priority events at sea-level).
I know of some who "Live Low and Train Lower".

The winter, off season, is certainly a time when this is not warranted.

One consideration for chronic supplemental / hyper-oxic training is increased free-radical production and systemic inflammation.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Box in the middle is for a humidifier usually.

Biggest challenge is having a knowledgable person running the gear during your workouts. I wouldn't want to manage that while I'm trying to hammer vo2 intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I could get a hold of the parts. It is just that I am not sure what the parts are.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
PS they weren't even surprised by the request. they said they've gotten it before (for athletics).

now that we're rolling into winter, i'm considering it again.

I live in Denver so a high enough altitude that VO2 style intervals are definitely done at lower power than sea-level. Did you come with a list of what is needed? I don't think that this is as simple as a mask, tubing and oxygen. Part of the problem with that set-up and the speed of respiration at maximum exercise is rebreathing CO2. Even a non-rebreather mask wouldn't have the capacity with the minute ventilation required.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
We do supplemental oxygen work for specific high-intensity workouts with a specific preparation in mind. (Typically priority events at sea-level).
I know of some who "Live Low and Train Lower".

I have been to the BCSM and worked with Andy Pruitt. The facility is awesome but I can't justify driving an hour to an hour and a half for an hour training session. There isn't a place in Denver that offers this. I am in medicine so getting the parts is not an issue. After all nothing is dangerous or a controlled substance. The question is what parts to get. Even a close up photo of the set-up would help.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:

Biggest challenge is having a knowledgable person running the gear during your workouts. I wouldn't want to manage that while I'm trying to hammer vo2 intervals.

I am not sure what you would need anyone else to do. Seems like you turn on the oxygen, put on the mask and hammer for an hour. I wouldn't adjust the oxygen delivery during my on and off periods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:

I am not sure what you would need anyone else to do. Seems like you turn on the oxygen, put on the mask and hammer for an hour. I wouldn't adjust the oxygen delivery during my on and off periods.

I would do a lot more research before you just 'put a mask on and hammer for an hour'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I simplified a bit. Of course I will research and this is the start.

I only meant to illustrate that I am not sure that I would need someone else with me during my sessions to help adjust anything and I am not sure that after I have started the flow of oxygen that I would need to change anything.

If you have experience with this at all I'd be interested in what your experiences have been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never directly run the sessions, but have observed them several times. We always had a physiologist running the equipment. Sessions were always intervals at near max effort, sometimes alternating with/without o2. In theory if all the gear is setup properly you shouldn't have much to adjust during a workout, but it is harder to monitor the gear while you are on a bike/treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use of supplemental oxygen is legal under WADA code.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.trainxtreme.com
www.vacumed.com
The world's first automated and adjustable hyperoxic/hypoxic training system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The box in the middle is a reservoir and automates the system. Humidifying hyperoxic gas can only be done right before the gas is inhaled by the athlete. Mold can be a dangerous thing. The trainXtreme system is rated up to 300 liters per minute and is fully pneumatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyperoxic Set up? [vacumed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vacumed wrote:
The box in the middle is a reservoir and automates the system. Humidifying hyperoxic gas can only be done right before the gas is inhaled by the athlete. Mold can be a dangerous thing. The trainXtreme system is rated up to 300 liters per minute and is fully pneumatic.

So what is the cost and how does the athlete obtain the gas sources?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past I've used a Hypoxico generator to do hyperoxic training one of two ways:

1. Collect the 'waste' gas (~12 L/min of ~60% O2) into a 200 L meteorological balloon, then use that as a reservior mixed w/ additional room air 'on the fly' via a Y valve to obtain the needed volume; or

2. Use a nasal cannula to send the ~60% O2 directly into my nostrils.

Approach #1 provides more certainty regarding the exact final O2 concentration that is inhaled, but it can be a bit tricky to manage/balance everything just right so you can focus on training instead of running a science experiment.

Approach #2 makes the final O2 level a bit uncertain (since you don't know how much of the ~12 L/min is inhaled, vs. spills out of the nostrils during exhalation, and you also don't know the total ventilation) and can lead to nosebleeds (due to dryness of the gas), but is far simpler in execution.

Both approaches keep my SaO2 at 98+% during high intensity exercise, vs. the drop to 93-95% that I experience even during exercise at sea level (see below):

Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 25, 15 15:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next