Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydration setup quesiont
Quote | Reply
So I am about to get my very first tri bike (New P2) and have been thinking about hydration. My needs are three bottles for the long, hot training rides.

I know I will have the X-lab torpedo setup on the bars. For the rest I am considering two options. Please help with the pro and cons of each. The two options are purely based on what I have seen on other bikes but I am not sure what the consideration was. Ok....

So again Xlab Torpedo on bars plus

Option 1:
Aero bottle (Xlab or equiv) on frame and a one bottle on the rear seat

Option 2:
Two bottles in the rear seat, nothing on the frame using something like the Xlab wing attachment.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration setup quesiont [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just pull the trigger and buy this bike already!!! Between the arms is good I use a speedfil and I use an profile design bottle mount just like xlab one. I do have cage on frame but it is used sparingly...
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration setup quesiont [Mister944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes pulling the trigger soon I hope. First I need to pull the trigger (gather the courage) and register for my first full at immt next month. If I pull that trigger (register) then the next day Iam buying the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how long are your long rides? I have always take 2 bottles, frame mounted. I have played with all the other options you are looking at and for me the easiest was just frame mount.
And these never fly off the bike.

When I do my long bikes, and it gets hot, I know places where I can stop and refill my water bottles. One is a fire station. Another is a gas station. A lot easier for me than hauling
more junk than I already do.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
So I am about to get my very first tri bike (New P2) and have been thinking about hydration. My needs are three bottles for the long, hot training rides.

I know I will have the X-lab torpedo setup on the bars. For the rest I am considering two options. Please help with the pro and cons of each. The two options are purely based on what I have seen on other bikes but I am not sure what the consideration was. Ok....

So again Xlab Torpedo on bars plus

Option 1:
Aero bottle (Xlab or equiv) on frame and a one bottle on the rear seat

Option 2:
Two bottles in the rear seat, nothing on the frame using something like the Xlab wing attachment.

For training it doesn't matter. More bottles means hotter fluids than more frequent refills. Less bottles means stoping more to refil
I train where it's often high 30s or sometimes low 40s (centigrade in summer). I take 4 bottles - one bta, one behind the seat (xlab), two on the frame. Start with 3 frozen. In heat of day, 4 is some times useless as the extra water is too hot when it's time to drink anyway.

I race with a single bottle bta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Cervelo guy but the lack of a second bottle cage taps was nearly a deal breaker for me (I can't remember which pro it was who went with a Cervelo road model built up as a tri rig for this very reason). Yeah, we get it Cervelo, it's not very aero, but Christ, who cares on training rides? I'll get all the hydration I could ever want from aid stations during long races but they aren't around for training rides! I vote for keeping all hydration as far forward as possible - reaching back isn't ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, try behind the seat to see how that works for you. I tried that with my NP3 and I didn't like it plus, I needed that space for a repair kit. I now go with the Torpedo mount between the bars (which leaks through the small air hole in the cap by the way - no way I know of to fix this, so if you have something like Gatoraid in there, your bike will get sticky) plus a bottle on the down tube. Yes, it is not aero, c'est la vie. When I race a Sprint or Oly, I only use the torpedo. For a HIM, I start out with the Torpedo filled, then pick up a water and a Gatoraid/Perform at each aid station. I dump the perform into the torpedo so it can mix with the existing Gatoraid (there is always something left in the bottom) and drink some water, spray some as required and carry the bottle in the down tube. Whether I get a water at the next station or not depends upon weather. On cooler days I don't need as much fluid so may not take in more but in hotter weather I'll take on more.

Plus, I always bike in a jersey so I have the pockets. On super hot days (if I ever experience one) I can stuff a bottle back there. I'm willing to make sure I'm hydrated at the expense of a tiny bit of aero.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with a rear carrier with one or two bottles (one being more aero).

This should suit for races, and for training just keep the 3rd bottle in a jersey pocket. Use that bottle to refill the torpedo when it's empty.

Note: On my bike I run a torpedo BTA and a single cage behind the saddle.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply