Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hy-Vee Course Changes
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On our way in from PGH for this and your post is the first I've seen of it. Did anyone get an email or anything? They updated the website so I'm surprised they didn't email the athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to race. Not sure now.
Kinda ticked. I could have done a sprint last weekend. There's a couple in my town this weekend and one next weekend.
No emails. Nothing from the race management company. Nothing on their Facebook page.
Just a press release on the website.

I'm hoping for a refund and I'd like to know before I get in the car for a not insignificant drive and shell out for two nights in a hotel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will not make it to packet pick up until tomorrow.
Can anyone who was there today chime in ? This is really dissapointing. Seems like the distance could be made up elsewhere on the bike. Have never been to the venue so not sure how the rain affects the swim area/transition/run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only a small part of the bike course. The part that runs in through the park bike/walking paths along the river. I lived there for awhile. It floods if a gnat with a cold sneezes. It seems to me that it would have only affected the out portion of the bike course. Coming back you're on the road and don't go back into the park. At least that was my understanding. Could be wrong. I think they're stealing from the run course to fill the bike course out.

I understand it. But, then they should also understand they're not offering what I paid for and should offer a full refund. And the race management, the people who took my money, has all our email addresses and should have sent an email by now.

Granted, I'm still fairly new to this. But I'm not new to business. I own one. And that's what I would do.
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the part that gets me is the complete lack of communication on the part of the race organizers. The only info. for the first few hours was twitter. This is a big race that a lot of people are traveling for...would seem decent to keep people updated

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just posted the news release (from Hyvee, not the race management) on the Facebook page.
I totally 'get it' that they're going to over-err on the side of caution.
But, the bike paths were underwater at least as of this morning. I saw a picture on the local paper's website of a guy carrying his bike through the floodwater on the paths that I figured were part of the course. I even called my wife and told her they were going to have to change the course. That was this morning.

I'd just like to know before I leave and commit to spending the money if there are any options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age group now starts tentatively at 9:00
Transition still closes at 6:45

So, yah, 2.5 hours of standing around. Starting to sound real fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving up tomorrow morning with a group. We are all pissed. Likely would have passed on the race with the changes, but bc they waited to communicate we now can't cancel our hotel reservations...

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing no one that's commented so far has ever directed a race...

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ozjt23 wrote:
I'm guessing no one that's commented so far has ever directed a race...

Come on... They made this decision by about noon locally and had a notice on their website by about six. They didn't send out an email until 10:30. A lot of people traveled during that time and may have changed plans had they known. I appreciate the work they're doing right now and understand that they aren't technically obligated to keep participants as up to date as we'd like, but the two seconds it takes to email out the notice with a "stay tuned for updates" would have gone a long way

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Although I have to wonder if they knew that announcing it earlier would likely have led to a poor showing for the race.

I'm not upset about the change, I totally understand that shit happens and you can't control the weather, I just wish I did have to find out about it first on Slowtwitch after I already started the 13hour drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the communication was bad and I am just as upset as anyone. The issue is that the river that floods that area is a bigger river that collects water from further up north and is more affected by non local rains, so it takes a day or two to know if it floods or not.

My issue is that it is such a small part of the course and it is prone to happen what not have an alternate route? Also no reason to shorten the swim an run too

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying they did a good job communicating at all. I'm just saying the amount of people I have heard demanding full refunds since I got to Des Moines is unbelievable. The last thing an RD wants to do is change the course.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-Vee Course Changes [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. There was only one guy on this thread saying that though. And I agree that asking for a refund is ridiculous, as the RD simply isn't in a position to make that happen (even if the race were canceled)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want a refund due to weather related changes? Hmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that "bothers" me about changes like this is that they allow the Elites to do the full distance, but we AGers get forced to do a reduced distance.

If you allow the elites to do the full distance, I'd like to at least be given the option to do the same.
Quote Reply