Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hurricane Harvey Bike recovery ( any tips on flooded bikes)
Quote | Reply
I am asking for a friend who posted that her house and bike are underwater right now. Does any one have any tips, checklists, etc on "flood bikes" and bringing them back?

So far Dimond has responded: The frames will be fine, although it needs to be disassembled to let everything dry out. The Di2 system will probably be fried. Take apart the metal components and allow them to dry!

Please let me know any thoughts, trying to help a friend out that lives in Houston ( and we might all know fellow triathletes that had this happen to)
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Harvey Bike recovery ( any tips on flooded bikes) [aquaman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) insurance. Immediately start to deal with it

2) bike. Assuming it is "clean" fresh water all non electric parts might be salvaged depending on how quickly you can get it out, dismantled, dried, lubricated etc

Wherr you are liable to get screwed is if it sits in a damp wet humid environment and corrosion starts and you can not get it out

I had more than a dozen sets of skis and 2 bikes sat in the basement of a building that burnt down and the water obviously collected in the basement

They were there for 2 weeks before i could get to them and all were salvaged and were fine. Flooding in texas is slightly more serious

The insurance issue is the bigger one. Especially if undervalued.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Harvey Bike recovery ( any tips on flooded bikes) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not like a fire. General homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. At all. (Federal flood insurance does but that is a limited program only open to designated flood plain areas and the vast majority of people in Houston do not have that).

If you just have regular homeowners insurance, best case is you bought a separate rider for water damage/flooding that covers $5000-$10000. Anybody who actually had taht insurance coverage and got flooded bad enough to put a bike at risk will burn through their coverage just on cleanup/demolition costs. The government will step in in a disaster like this but I would not count on getting a new bike out of the fairly limited amounts of cash people will get.

We had a micro burst of "100 year" rain over our neighborhood a couple years ago that flooded a couple thousand basements. Only about 50% of folks had any coverage at all and only a handful had coverage limits over $10K. We were declared a disaster area but all that meant was you could get a fairly low interest loan to make repairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Harvey Bike recovery ( any tips on flooded bikes) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case we are presuming that it is completely submerged. I would think that in addition to Dimond's advice, taking the tires and tubes off the wheels along with disassembling the bike to dry out would help too
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Harvey Bike recovery ( any tips on flooded bikes) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you just have regular homeowners insurance, best case is you bought a separate rider for water damage/flooding that covers $5000-$10000. Anybody who actually had taht insurance coverage and got flooded bad enough to put a bike at risk will burn through their coverage just on cleanup/demolition costs. The government will step in in a disaster like this but I would not count on getting a new bike out of the fairly limited amounts of cash people will get.

I'm not in an area that requires flood insurance, but I typically carry it (literally forgot to renew in July and have been worrying for the last week although we are pretty high on a hill). My coverage is 100k for contents. It is not through my home insurance although they handle everything. The actual policy is through the National Flood Insurance Program. It is true that if you only have the standard policy, it probably won't cover anything. But if you have specific flood insurance, I'd start working on the claim if needed.
Quote Reply