Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Humble brag, no shame
Quote | Reply
I lurked on this board for a long time before posting, simply because you guys all seem like true bad asses compared to me. But I found out after awhile many of you are just like me, trying to get better and have fun.

I thought I would share this with you all...

This month I was lucky enough to have my weight loss story featured in Runner's World. I was given a full page (pg.26) all about me. I thought it was really awesome to have the mag approach me, and I actually was sent a copy signed by Bart Yasso once it went to print. This may be the highlight of my "career" and the biggest accolade I ever receive. So if you think this is a bullshit fluff thread and could care less, ignore it. But hell, I had to tell someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a link? I Am too lazy to search.
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pic of the article signed I posted on my twitter feed, let me know if this works... As you can see they got the most provocative pose they could from the hundreds of pics the photographer took.

link
Last edited by: BorrachoMatador: Oct 2, 14 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome dude! Go ahead and brag.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done, no shame.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely worthy of a brag. Well done and great story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job - care to share your journey and the strategies that worked for you? The print is too tiny to read in the link, unless you've got a link to the actual article.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F'ng "A"' Nice job....brag a way! I love story's like yours.

Now all you have to do is get a bike and start swinning :) keep up the good fight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think stories like this are awesome. I love the quote "It's this little vacation that you get to take everyday." That is exactly how I feel about running. It is time to get out in nature and clear your head and enjoy life. Keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Good job - care to share your journey and the strategies that worked for you? The print is too tiny to read in the link, unless you've got a link to the actual article.

After I graduated from college I got married almost immediately, got a steady job, and got even bigger than I was 300 to 350. Then I started getting sick... stomach issues, nerve issues, high stress... general stuff that comes with being very overweight. The startling thing was, I was only 27. I had a doctor not sugar coat it, and he told me to get in control of my life by eating better and trying to exercise 3/4 days a week 30mins a day. That was October 2009 and that was it for me... I've been a recovering fat-ass since then, and always will be. I say that to be funny, but because its true.. I know for me to stay in control I have to have something fill up my time so I don't over-eat and fall back in.

I tried p90x, and found it was unsustainable and I didn't like it. Started running March 2010, ran first 5k that October, first full April 2011, sprinkle in a bunch more small races and halves, broke 4hrs in a marathon april 2012, helped coach new runners with my run club the rest of the year and did my first 70.3, ran my first 50mile trail run (10:20) March 2013, did my first full IM at Redman that September 2013 (fucking embarrassing 14:30-something).

Dropped to a half distance to get faster this year, and have Austin 70.3 in front of me this month..... Then possibly Arizona full next year if it does not sell-out. (or Kona if I lotto in of course!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're overstriding...

Seriously though...congrats. I've lost about 40 lbs in the last couple years and I know how much discipline and work that has taken. I can't imagine the path to losing 4 times as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front door brag, and totally called for. Excellent job dude.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2006 called, they want their Gamin 310 back.

And you run with only a right sock, no left sock? What's up with that?

Congratulations
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done. Wow, you were fat! Yasso, has it right, never underestimate or limit yourself. There's a guy on Facebook that just got under 300lbs but didn't finish an IM on his first attempt. I told him, look at how far you've come in 1 year.... screw finishing, your going to go under 15 hours next year!

I dropped 45lbs about 5 years ago... and it took as much or more discipline that training for an IM. Training is at least fun. Dieting isn't...especially those weeks where you don't see much results.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
2006 called, they want their Gamin 310 back.

And you run with only a right sock, no left sock? What's up with that?

Congratulations

left socks are the plastic valve cover of running. Only nubs use them.

The 310 is an excellent piece of machinery obtained at a substantially discounted rate.... the struggle is real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soak it up. Congrats, and keep up the hard work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job dude!
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, brag away. You deserve it. Nothing wrong with a 14:30 at all. You finished is what counts.
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the story in RW!!
Quote Reply
Re: Humble brag, no shame [Dont_Drown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont_Drown wrote:
That's awesome dude! Go ahead and brag.

^THIS

Out DAMN Standing!!!
Quote Reply