Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE)
Quote | Reply
I'm hunting for wheels and wondered if I could have some feedback on the hubs noted in the subject pls? Is there a bad choice among them or are they all excellent?
Pricing tells me the order "should" be: ENVE carbon, DT240s then Chris King R45, but that's not totally an equal comparison as enve hubs come ceramic.

Any feedback welcome. I basically want to know:
Should any of these hubs be avoided?
Is one the clear choice to make?
Is it all an equal wash in performance/reliability and should I just get the best deal?
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always gone for DT240 where I've had the choice, and mine have lasted donkey's years with zero maintenance. What I've heard from users and mechanics at the LBS are that the Chris King hubs are not maintenance free by comparison, to keep them running nicely.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to throw to more up...

Wheels Mfg hubs are second generation Alchemy Orc and Elf hubs. If youÂ’re looking at 2:1, then RotorÂ’s hubs are also very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I read similar comments about the King hubs, though it's nicer to hear from an ST'er similar things. The thought of a high end hub that needs maintenance every 3-12 months (depending on riding conditions), isn't appealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CK.. little bit loud free hub... mine are not too bad compared to friends. Might be rim related had them on Enve 6.7s and now 2.2 Clinchers. Nice choice of colors, I'm boring black.. watch the preload adjustment during the break-in.

DT240s.. solid hub..nothing to complain about other then weight maybe. Have them on 2.2 tubulars

Enve.. basically DT internals.. dont see much of a difference between them and DT240's other then reduced weight. Dont own them currently but had them briefly on 2.2 tubulars.

I had the Alchemy ELF's ..pre wheels mfg.. Nice hub, used them for a year+ on Enve 3.4s. My go to hubs right now are Extralite Cyberhub. have both SL and SP models on 2.2 tubs and 4.5 clinchers respectively. Extralite might be considered high maintenance by some and not for foul weather. I use them year around but clean and lube them myself.

I'd probably opt for CKs of the 3 you listed.. how stiff of a wheel do you need and which Enve's are you getting ?
Last edited by: spntrxi: Nov 24, 17 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get DT 240's and be done with it. Chris Kings that I own require maintenance and adjustment, though they are very easy to work on.

The DTs just work and very very rarely require any maintenance. Plus, they are super easy to convert if needed, and the emote freehub body with cassette pops off easily for cleaning, or installing a wheel cover.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I have CK on one wheelset and 240s on another. The former is more of a PITA than theyÂ’re worth, and also not covertable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a CK hub is requiring maintenance every 3 months, it is not being serviced properly at on-set and or being washed off in sea-water by the user...which wouldnÂ’t surprise me with triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same, I've had both (and a few others). Just get the DT's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of new 8.9s from Enve last year with the CK hubs. I probably have less than 800 miles on them since purchase but have my LBS check them between every event and there has been no service/adjustment needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testament TN wrote:
If a CK hub is requiring maintenance every 3 months, it is not being serviced properly at on-set and or being washed off in sea-water by the user...which wouldnÂ’t surprise me with triathletes.

Well, in my case, it's heavy mud, sand, and power washers from cyclocross.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

So, after the feedback you've heard, what's your choice?
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for now, I've elected to stay away from the CK hubs. What I eventually select, will likely depend on what comes available to me. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the DT though, based on the reviews here and elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub Feedback (Chris King or DT or ENVE) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see where very hard use could compromise service periodicity...CK suggests 3mo with frequent mud wet use so I stand convinced. :)

I have a CK SS hub that now is running on 15,000miles or so (maybe more as the wheels are from 2007) and have been overhauled only once. Pulling all the guys is supper easy as itÂ’s been a 2 Allen wrench job to get the free body off, get to all internals and pull the axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Well for now, I've elected to stay away from the CK hubs. What I eventually select, will likely depend on what comes available to me. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the DT though, based on the reviews here and elsewhere.

I don't think you've mentioned what rim these hubs will be mated with but one recommendation I would give you is to bypass any aero spokes and go with a traditional DB round spoke, at least on the rear. I have been through a process of trying to eliminate lateral flexiness with my carbon wheels and the thing that made the greatest difference was using thicker round spokes. I found that the Sapim Race db round spokes with 240s hubs (theoretically a hub with sub-optimal flange geometry for laterally stiff rear wheels) was much stiffer laterally than the same rims built around White T11 hubs (with better flange geo than the 240s) with CX-Sprint aero spokes, the thicker version of the ubiquitous Sapim CX-Ray spoke that everyone seems to use in carbon wheels.

There's no substitute for spoke mass if you want lateral stiffness when you are dealing with a fixed number of spokes.
Quote Reply