Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How's my fit?
Quote | Reply
Really just concerned with the front end. Can I lower it 1-2cm?

Note: I'm definitely going to tilt my arms up a little.

Quote Reply
Re: How's my fit? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you want out of it?
Quote Reply
Re: How's my fit? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be a little more aero.... yes, I know.. I won't know unless I get tested. But that's not happening this year.

Best bet along those lines is going to Jim at ERO for a Retul fit. If I miss KQ by a couple minutes this year, I'll go get tested but otherwise, it's out of the budget (that bike WAS the budget this year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about we turn on the sun

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing here, but I would assume that one of the first things Jim would suggest is a lot more reach. If you want to be more aero. If you simply lower your bars now you'll just be humping your back more. I think you're body is showing signs up being reach restricted, either that or you've never had anybody tell you how to "ride" your saddle from a pelvis positioning standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm as long as I'm going to get on this bike... and I hated the large, it wasn't comfortable.

As for the tilting at the pelvis... I definitely haven't had someone sit me down and explain "how" but I understand the concept. That lower back position is what allows me to generate the most power. When I try to "tilt", my power decreases a lot.

My back tends to hump no matter what. I have a big arch on my road bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally just got this picture... I'm thinking I don't need to change anything... just need to turtle more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, so "power generation" is a priority.

What if I told you if you changed positions dramatically you could "gain" ~40 watts (I'm making up a number) but you'd lose 5% off your FTP power in that position?

Would you make that tradeoff?

It seems like you would, because you "want to be more aero."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA! Yes, I would totally do that but I'm losing 40 watts by changing my back... and I'm not making that up. The minute my back starts to look "flat", I lose a large amount and my heart rate climbs significantly trying to generate more.

No amount of gained "aero" watts is going to make up for fucking with that lower back :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re reach.... i'd field test that at a minimum. more reach for me never has worked from an aero standpoint and I am less extended than the OP. my experience with another individual(who thought more reach was better) was the same as mine, not good to extend. might have to do with our narrow arm positions(arms touching at elbows) and also(guessing) that extending(since we have arms angled up in front of face) just messes with things in front of our faces. I mention this as Op says he is going to angle arms up more which might be better by shortening his reach. you know the answer lies in testing in one form or another :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can just drop the pads 1-2cm without losing a position you can hold for 180k.

Next marginal gain is a disc. Can't use it at Kona, but you can to KQ.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"just need to turtle more."

just turtle. don't turtlehead.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How's my fit? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
re reach.... i'd field test that at a minimum. more reach for me never has worked from an aero standpoint and I am less extended than the OP. my experience with another individual(who thought more reach was better) was the same as mine, not good to extend. might have to do with our narrow arm positions(arms touching at elbows) and also(guessing) that extending(since we have arms angled up in front of face) just messes with things in front of our faces. I mention this as Op says he is going to angle arms up more which might be better by shortening his reach. you know the answer lies in testing in one form or another :)

i think it just depends on the context.

as a triathlete, if you want to be more aero you have to maintain the sustainability of the position. so for him, thinking "i want to be more aero" the answer cannot simply be "lower the bars." so for many people who i see that have this conundrum you HAVE to experiment with more reach. is it the answer? sometimes yes, sometimes no. but for him to lower his CdA by a large margin something has to change. yea, "turtling" is pretty effective but doing that for 112mi is pretty damn hard.
Quote Reply