Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers?
Quote | Reply
My first post ever, please be kind. I'm currently running in stability shoes (mostly Saucony Guide 7s/8s, but some others as well), but really like the idea of getting into less "clunky" shoes, especially the Newton Tri Racer for my sprint races. I have successfully transitioned, after losing a good deal of weight, from motion control down to stability I have very flat feet and wear custom insoles. Running about 30 miles/week, just finished my first half marathon, and I couldn't run a mile nonstop a year ago.

I've seen a few ideas on transitioning down, but am not sure where I should start from where I am now. Anyone have success with this?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [rjbris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just buy a pair and start VERY slow. I would probably start with the distance S and work myself to the the racers. But whatever you do, follow the instructions on the box. You are moving into a different shoe with different contact points. While your body is used to running 30 miles a week, those new contact points are NOT. I myself, while don't have similar feet, did the same thing several years ago. I went from a traditional running shoe and moved to newton. I now wear the newton elites and absolutely LOVE them. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's helpful. Good point on the "new contact points", had not thought about it like that. So, maybe just my shortest run of the week to start?
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [rjbris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of running in more minimal shoes. I switched about a year ago after running in adrenalines, kayanos, etc for years.

I did it by using a "transition" shoe. I used the saucony mirage. Awesome shoe, I still use it a ton. 4mm drop, very light posting, essentially the Kinvara with a little post. I went to the Kinvara and similar shoes from here.

Start slow, yield to your calves and any unusual or exorbitant pain. In the meantime, spend as much time as possible barefoot. Practice standing on one foot with your eyes closed.

I've had great results after switching.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently made the transition from Adrenalines to Newton Motion and Distance. One thing that I did was I would wear the Newton's around the house as I transitioned my runs. Maybe for an hour or so, nothing crazy but I would also walk on the lugs to get that feeling of being on the forefoot.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you hope to achieve by switching? Seems like there's no real benefit and only increased risk of injury.

A good friend of mine who is very fast, sub 15 5k, once told me he tried to make a similar transition. After dealing with pains and strains for a few seasons etc he decided to stick with a regular trainer and voila all better.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
What do you hope to achieve by switching? Seems like there's no real benefit and only increased risk of injury.

A good friend of mine who is very fast, sub 15 5k, once told me he tried to make a similar transition. After dealing with pains and strains for a few seasons etc he decided to stick with a regular trainer and voila all better.

I tend to agree with the above post ,I tried to switch to lightweight trainers/racers and tried to change my stride from heel striker too mid foot .I went through 2 years of repeated calf strains ( mad calf disease) until I switched back. What I ended up with going to a Asics gt 1000 a semi supported shoe but around 10 oz ,so still light but enough stability to not get injured.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

abrown
I did it by using a "transition" shoe. I used the saucony mirage. Awesome shoe, I still use it a ton. 4mm drop, very light posting, essentially the Kinvara with a little post. I went to the Kinvara and similar shoes from here

Thanks for this, I like the idea of a transition shoe. I'll definitely take a look at the Mirage.
Last edited by: rjbris: Mar 27, 15 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're set on making the transition, I'd also consider jogging barefoot or in socks for a few minutes a few times a week at the end of runs. Literally just 3 min or so at a pace slower than you train at. It helps strengthen those "contact points" people are talking about. Plus, you get funny looks, which is the main reason we do these sports.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirch wrote:
lschmidt wrote:

I tend to agree with the above post ,I tried to switch to lightweight trainers/racers and tried to change my stride from heel striker too mid foot .I went through 2 years of repeated calf strains ( mad calf disease) until I switched back. What I ended up with going to a Asics gt 1000 a semi supported shoe but around 10 oz ,so still light but enough stability to not get injured.

Kirch/lschmidt, thanks. I do appreciate the perspective. Coming out of the Adrenalines/GT-2000s has been a big step in "clunkiness" reduction, and I'd like to keep going, if it works for me. I guess I'm most attrcted to the tongueless/laceless Tri Racer for transitions/racing. Even though I've done a lifetime worth of "gait analysis" at LRS, I should probably get a pro analysis before setting out on my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Above all else, listen to your body. If you're still sore more than a day later, then stop until you're feeling 100% and try again at a reduced mileage. I tried to transition from the Guides to the Kinvaras and ended up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis that lasted 8 months. I'm back in the Guides now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why Newtons? Why not stick with what you know works: Saucony? Something like the Fastwitch has your name all over it. A lighter shoe that still has medial posting that it sounds like you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I transitioned between Brooks Glycerin to Newton Distance/Gravity.

I used alternating runs and running my longer runs in the my Glycerins. I also went to a pair of Newton clinics at local running stores where the local rep would analyze your stride, conduct drills, and make some suggestions.

I still have Glycerins with unused miles and I use them in winter snow/ice as they have much better traction.

Note: obviously I run neutral footed, but I think your experience would be similar.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great way to help out is to buy work shoes that have zero drop and very little support. Since you're in them all day, but at low effort, your feet adapt pretty quickly. I wear the Sketchers that look kind of like race car driver shoes. Not much to them but look nice.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would like to transition out of prescription glasses. without supplemental testosterone. i'm sure there are some people reading who think that is possible. but not many. and for good reason.

but i don't think you're stuck with clunky. shoes are supposed to be supportive, and structural without feeling structural. in my opinion the shoes that do this the best are those without midsoles that wrap the upper, and with an architectural that protects the arch from caving in medially. this is why i run in hokas. but not every hoka. specific shoes that offer these features.

i'm not a hoka fan per se. i'm a fan of specific features. i am perceived as a hoka fan because hoka has these features. when newton, or brooks, or adidas, incorporate these features i'll be a fan of these shoe companies or at least the models they make.

the shoe that came the closest was, for me, the adrenaline. but, running in a hoka bondi versus an adrenaline, it's just not even a fair fight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, greatly appreciate all the thoughts, got plenty to consider here.
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
A great way to help out is to buy work shoes that have zero drop and very little support. Since you're in them all day, but at low effort, your feet adapt pretty quickly. I wear the Sketchers that look kind of like race car driver shoes. Not much to them but look nice.

Brett, is that really you? Thanks for weighing in. I'm a big fan, you've made a lot of my long drives much easier and I've learned a lot from you already in my short time in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i would like to transition out of prescription glasses. without supplemental testosterone. i'm sure there are some people reading who think that is possible. but not many. and for good reason.

but i don't think you're stuck with clunky. shoes are supposed to be supportive, and structural without feeling structural. in my opinion the shoes that do this the best are those without midsoles that wrap the upper, and with an architectural that protects the arch from caving in medially. this is why i run in hokas. but not every hoka. specific shoes that offer these features.

Dan, thanks for the perspective. Really appreciate your knowledge. I guess what I'm really after is that structural without feeling structural, as you said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjbris wrote:
texafornia wrote:

Brett, is that really you? Thanks for weighing in. I'm a big fan, you've made a lot of my long drives much easier and I've learned a lot from you already in my short time in triathlon.

In the digital flesh! Glad you liked the show. Lots more to come. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to transition out of stability shoes into Newtons/Racers? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a similar journey last year. From my Acics Kayano to the Newtons.

Painful for the calves for the first 2-3 months but has been well worth it.

Today using the Motion as the daily trainer and the Distance S for races.

Some people above were questioning the choice of Newtons. If you want to change your stride to forefoot/midfoot, there is no better coach. The lugs simply force you to land further forward. Also, the wear on the lugs are also a good indicator of how you are striking the ground.

After a year with Newtons, my heal striking is gone, my pronation is almost eliminated and my previous shin splint problems are much less. Since it leads to a shorter stride and higher cadence, my running off the bike has improved greatly.

Have not gone all the way to the TriRacers. Still need some support for my foot and the Motions have been perfect for training while the Distance S offer sufficient support and still light enough for racing.
Quote Reply