Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to tell Speedplay pedals apart?
Quote | Reply
There is a nice bike on consignment at a shop here I have been eyeballing. I might be the one most seriously interested in it, but I also am the one with no money to speak of so just a lot of research right now. I know the seller AND the shop owner so the longer it sits there the better chance I can work out some sort of deal.

I'm trying to learn what I can about the bike and right now I am trying to determine what pedals it has and what cleats would likely cost me.

It has Speedplays on them and all I know is they are yellow. My research also tells me that Speedplays come in many varieties and they are by no means all compatible with the same cleats.

Any way to tell the pedals apart by looking at them?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How to tell Speedplay pedals apart? [faded_memories] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's basically 3 different kinds of road pedals and cleats, each pedal comes in a Chrome Moly, Stainless Steel, or Titanium spindle, the way to tell the difference between the different pedals is by looking at the spindle color, and the dimples on the pedals:

The zeros have "dimples" that go all the way to the edge of the pedal and around to the other side, this is the chrome moly version (black spindle)

The Light action series only have dimples on the top:

The the X series have no dimples, this is the titanium spindle(X1):

-The zeros have adjustable float within a 15 degree range
-Light action have a non-adjustable, non-centering 15 degrees of float
-X series has Non-centering free float
The X1 is titanium spindle, the X2 is stainless steel, and the x5 is chrome moly

Cleats are NOT interchangeable between the 3 different types of pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can take a pic of the pedals, I can tell you. But cost of pedals will basically be the same for ALL Speedplay models.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, the ti spindles are more polished (shiny) than the stainless. The CroMo spindles are black.

The CroMo pedals have different bearings are have a higher Q factor, you are better off with the stainless.

The ti pedals are really light, but really expensive and have a 185 lb weight limit. Not really worth the cost.

Prices for the zeros are usually about $129, $199, and $335, so there should be a premium for the ti pedals.

Quote Reply
Re: How to tell Speedplay pedals apart? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
If you can take a pic of the pedals, I can tell you. But cost of pedals will basically be the same for ALL Speedplay models.

This.^^ Speedplay seems to price all their cleats around $50, give or take a few bucks.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply