Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to modify HIM schedule to IM
Quote | Reply
This is the HIM outline that I've used the past 2 years. I build to the BASE level then repeat the BASE week 6 times then build over 8 weeks to the PEAK week which I will do twice. I'm in the 60-64 AG and around 6hr HIM. (only have access to pool 2x wk)

BASE x 6
S = 2x2000yds
B = 1x18tt, 1x28, 1x35
R = 1x3 off bike, 2x5, 1x8

PEAK x 2
S = 2x2500yds
B = 1x23tt, 1x35, 1x60
R = 1x3 off bike, 2x6, 1x14

Looking for suggestions to what level I should raise both the BASE & PEAK to for an IM. Goal = 13:30.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How to modify HIM schedule to IM [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not this...I am assuming you have some recovery and taper

Base:
S = 2*3000 yds
B = 2*30, 1*50 (every other week add to the third ride till you get to 90-100)
R = Forget the bricks, 3*6, 1*9 (every other week, extend to up to 2 hours)

Peak:
S = 2*4000 yds
B = 2*35, 1*70-80
R = 3*6, 1* 12-15, if you want to brick then do a few miles after the long ride.
Quote Reply
Re: How to modify HIM schedule to IM [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. During the BASE phase I do 3 hard - 1 easy. While building to the PEAK weeks it's 2 hard - 1 easy. I had not thought about dropping the brick. Replacing it with a 3rd medium run is a good suggestion. On the bike, I'm still wondering if 2x35 in addition to the long ride is enough. I always push on the medium and long bike, lower Z3 (Coggan).

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How to modify HIM schedule to IM [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
Thanks Mike. During the BASE phase I do 3 hard - 1 easy. While building to the PEAK weeks it's 2 hard - 1 easy. I had not thought about dropping the brick. Replacing it with a 3rd medium run is a good suggestion. On the bike, I'm still wondering if 2x35 in addition to the long ride is enough. I always push on the medium and long bike, lower Z3 (Coggan).

I am 10 years younger and have moved to a 2 hard/1 easy. I find that 3 hard weeks in a row I am pretty trashed. My HIM times are in the 5:30ish range so you and I are close to the same pace. I just don't see a lot of benefit in doing many bricks, especially for long course. If I am going to do a brick for long course, I like a swim/ride brick. Its always a bit surprising to go swim 4000 yds and to go on a long ride.

With your time goal really reasonable based on you HIM times, I think the key for you is getting thru the training healthy. Trust me if your doing 2 35 mile rides with some pace and a long ride you will be ready. But if you can fit in a 4th ride, you should.
Quote Reply