Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to measure progress in training?
Quote | Reply
I have a good idea how to measure my swim fitness in training. Once a month I swim TT 1000 and if my time is better, then I am making progress.

However, I am thinking how to figure out if I am a better/faster runner?
I really do not like the idea to run 10-20k all out to find out, because it will distract my training process.
Are there any simple tests that will tell me if I am on the right path with my training, or I need to make any correction?

The same thing for cycling. I understand that the progress can be measured with power, but what to do if I do not have the powermeter?

I do not think the good idea is to race, again it will distract training plan and there are other factors that will influence the race result.
Quote Reply
Re: How to measure progress in training? [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
potomuchto wrote:
I do not think the good idea is to race, again it will distract training plan and there are other factors that will influence the race result.

Isn't the point of a training plan for racing?
Quote Reply
Re: How to measure progress in training? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Isn't the point of a training plan for racing?

Yes! But I would like to know if my plan is working while it is not too late to change things
That is why I would like to check on my progress.
Quote Reply
Re: How to measure progress in training? [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the run race a 5k every few weeks. It will be both excellent training as well as a good check on your running progress. For biking, if you have a local 10mile, 20k or 40k TT, doing one of those every couple of weeks will also be great training as well as testing.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply