Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to improve run times
Quote | Reply
First time poster. I've just finished my second triathlon season and I've gotten the bug. I've done two sprints and one Olympic each of the last two years. Next year I'm contemplating a HIM. I'm 48, an ex-HS competitive swimmer, and have run for general fitness off and on for last 15 years. Before starting tris I had no real biking experience. What's gotten me hooked is my bike performance. What has me frustrated is my slow running.

By way of example, here are my splits for the Chicago Olympic distance last weekend:

Swim: 29:52 (satisfactory but not stellar IMO)
Bike: 1:05:54 (Suprisingly strong, only 14 seconds behind my AG winner)
run: 52:34 (yuck!)

I don't feel I over cooked the bike and don't think I could have run much faster even if I backed off during the bike. I've never "raced" more than a 5k as a standalone run and my best 5k is 23 minutes. In training my best 10k is just under 50 minutes. In other words, I just run slow. For training this year I did nothing scientific. I was swimming 2 x per week approx. 2500 yards per session; biking 2-3 times per week with typically 2, 45 minute sessions on a stationary bike and one 2 hour "long" ride outside on the weekends. I'd run 2-3 times per week 4 to 6 miles each session, combination tempo runs and fartlek intervals.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to best improve my run without sacrificing the swim and bike and what a realistic goal for improvement would be given my age and limited time to devote to training. Also, how much additional training do I need next year to get ready for HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: How to improve run times [Chitrilaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
read through the barry p plan. a lot of people on here swear by it. consistency is the biggest issue. you need to run a lot to get better. Barry p has you running 6 days a week mostly slow paces. the formula is well done

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining
Last edited by: espejo09: Aug 29, 14 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go with the obvious answer. Obviously you don't want to hear it which is why you posted on here looking for a magic cure, but you need to run more. I'm guessing you need to run slower in your training too,for where you are at one tempo run certainly doesn't make up for 2 aerobic runs.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: How to improve run times [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not looking for for magic, just looking for realistic advice. I'm experienced enough to know that more does not automatically equal faster. I'm willing to work harder as long as I'm also working smarter and doing it in a way that I likely to lead to tangible improvements.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there's your advice. If you are running 2-3 times a week 4-6 miles you need to run more (not faster) to race faster

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More doesn't always equal faster. .. but usually it does. Especially when the issue is more likely technique, not fitness.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chitrilaw wrote:
Not looking for for magic, just looking for realistic advice. I'm experienced enough to know that more does not automatically equal faster. I'm willing to work harder as long as I'm also working smarter and doing it in a way that I likely to lead to tangible improvements.
In Reply To:

Except when you're not running (or biking or swimming) that much. Which you aren't.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, you need to run more often. In fact, you should spend a good part of the fall and winter building up to running 6 days per week. You can always take it down a day or two during the race season, but you need to run more often to get the improvement that you want.

The BarryP plan is great for runners who are transitioning to running 6 days per week. It also helps minimize the risk of injury. So, read what he posted here on ST.

Good luck and welcome to ST.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: How to improve run times [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all, especially Barry P and those who directed me to his posts . as I'd hoped, some good advice once you wade through and ignore the inevitable snark. approaching 50 my major concern is injury from overdoing the running but Barry P's plan seems to take this into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when starting at 2 to 3 runs a week, more absolutely does automatically mean faster.

try 4 next week
then 5 after that
then 6 after that

you don't even have to worry about smart for a while, just run slowish until you can do 30-35 miles a week consistently for a while then worry about being clever.

Chitrilaw wrote:
In Reply To:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply