Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space
Quote | Reply
Threads like this and this and this come up all the time and they make me sick. So many triathletes are paying hundreds of dollars for services that are either provided poorly or not provided at all. In some cases, they are being outright defrauded. If you don't believe me, search "retul fit" and see what you turn up. I cannot make this stuff up.

The fit charade is a big problem in the sport. These charlatan 'fitters' and the local bike shops that employ them are robbing athletes of money, comfort, and performance -- they are charging huge sums for a service that makes athletes slower and less comfortable during the most time-intensive portion of the sport. For something as fundamental as a proper bike fit, poor results here could lead to injury and likely do. Worse still, one of the more famous (and infamous) coaches in triathlon has his pros riding with their seats miles too high. Reputation doesn't mean shit here.

My question: So what do we do to identify these incompetent profiteers? What are the tools good or exceptional fitters use? What are their credentials and certifications?

My answer: Part of the smoke and mirrors associated with this nonsense are those "tools" and "certifications", which these people push or advertise to boost their credibility. And triathletes, of course, who are the biggest suckers for baseless, name brand marketing on earth (whatup BryanD!) eat this stuff up. Retul, FIST, Dartfish, motion capture: these are often hollow terms thrown around to perpetuate highway robbery.

As he often does, slowman challenged me recently about what tools best-in-class fitters might use. I'm not a fitter and don't claim to be, but as a passive observer I'm going to simply excerpt trentnix in my reply:

trentnix wrote:
Indeed, I see lots of bad fits done with motion capture tools, whether it be Retul, Dartfish, or whatever else. These are simply measuring devices - nothing more, nothing less. Just because they aren't used effectively by many fitters doesn't mean they aren't useful. We use Retul, I personally use Retul, and I find it indispensable. It provides accuracy and insight that my eyes are simply unable to see. I use it to validate what I see, but I'm still the one driving the fit.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: I might own hammers, power tools, and a level, but you still don't want me to do any carpentry for you. I'm unskilled and have very limited knowledge when it comes to carpentry. Many bike fitters own the right tools but are lacking either skill, knowledge, or discipline to use them right.

On the other hand, we deal with shops (that have no competent fitters and that produce terrible fits) on an almost daily basis...in fact, these shops are effectively a carpenter who doesn't own hammers, power tools, and a level assuring you that he can build you a house with your bear hands. You'd never hire a carpenter who didn't use effective tools, and you shouldn't hire a bike fitter that doesn't use effective tools either.

Steinmetz says something similar.

So I am going to go out on a limb here and say the most important tool a fitter has is the internet. People on this forum, even those who aren't fitters, are better than nearly all of the local bike shop morons out there. With the advent of the internet, why is nobody offering fit by web? That's the tool of the future in this space -- not lasers and optical sensors and whiz bang tech, which are more often misused than properly applied.

My experience: Back when I was new to the sport and knew nothing, I bounced around to different jokers, each of whom talked better and performed worse than the one before. I legit spent four figures before I finally just came on the internet (here, really, and people I met here) and dialed it in in my basement. To wit:

I mean what is the actual shit is going on here?!? If my experience is any guide -- and based on my observations and MDot races, I fared better than many -- triathletes are getting totally screwed by their fitters and shops. Especially financially. Yet you guys, including the fearless dictator, are up in arms about registration fee obfuscation.

Granted, stan is doing more than anyone else on the planet to combat this issue and educate the community, but he's not being critical enough. He's not taking these clowns to task. They suck, and they should know it -- and more importantly, you should know it. And those new to the sport especially ought to know it.

My conclusion: If there's a shred of doubt, stay away from your local bike shop. They are charlatans and they are coming for your money and the tendons in your knees and they are stealing speed and results out from under you. Caveat emptor is an understatement.

Here's my advice: start a thread asking for advice and try to sort out the wheat from the chaff -- it's free! -- and then send a PM to tri-run, Findin' Freestyle, trentnix, Mat Steinmetz, slowman, or the rest and get a fit by internet. Work out a fee structure that makes sense for them. Upload videos to YouTube and go back and forth as you make changes. Demo saddles for days or weeks, not minutes, and see how you like them.

Now that I know better, I continue to make micro changes attempting to optimize my fit with (free) third-party input. Steinmetz talks about doing this with Andy Potts over a period of years, changing saddle position by a millimeter at a time. This is an iterative process. Why are we trying to make it happen in one appointment with an entirely unqualified idiot?

They really should pay me for this.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Feb 14, 17 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Looking forward to how people twist this into accusations of trolling.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
This is an iterative process. Why are we trying to make it happen in one appointment with an entirely unqualified idiot?

I'm fortunate to live near a few highly respected and qualified fitters. I personally have had good experiences working with a qualified fitter.

I agree that fitting can be an iterative process.

Maybe your expectations are too high if you expect everything to be perfect after 1 fit session. It might be, or it might not. Either way the fitters I have gone to offer free follow up sessions.

My experience is the first fit session get me most of the way there. After spending some time out side with the new position if something isn't feeling right I revisit the fitter and we work on finding the solution to any issues I am having.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too high

TTbikefit has offered online fits for a decade http://ttbikefit.com/online-bike-fitting/, so the option exists.
I've done a number of fits over the years based off phone video and giving the rider detailed instructions, it's a good option for riders that are just too far away for an in person fit. The disadvantage is that they don't get the full experience and it doesn't work as well for me in RoI terms (sending saddles around the country takes a lot of time).

Personally it really bugs me that there will be fitters out there using the tools I have designed to do terrible fits. Including fitters that I've trained. And I totally agree with you about the number of charlatans. But I would like to present the other viewpoint - a good fitter (and you have acknowledged they exist) can, in just a couple of hours, make a rider faster, more comfortable and more knowledgeable about how to continue improving their position.

All the Beloved Leader would achieve by getting aggressive about identifying bad fitters is to create headaches for himself. I doubt he wants that.
He is pushing really hard for fitters to upload video to their portfolios so riders can vet fitters before choosing one.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it weird that I often think about buying my own retul system, fit bike, and then going to get FIST certified just so I can fit myself?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asked and answered.

let me answer your question with a question. what would be your preference? to tell the world about your knee surgery gone bad? or to have your knee surgery be successful?

while it is much sexier to out bad fitters (!) it is much more efficient to champion good fitters. to that end i routinely write and rewrite and publish reasonable bike fit expectations.

further, a month or two ago we placed a new field on our fitter database, which is portfolio. and the very first box you can check in our advanced search is portfolio, and you can see who's provided one for you.

this is to force fitters to comply with what i consider are reasonable expectations.

now, yes, it's up to fitters to do this. but we have people who've spent 5 or 8 years on the slowtwitch forum, as slowtwitch readers, who put their hands over their ears, look at the ground, and shout "i'm not listening; i'm not listening," when these topics come up, and then they post their bad fit experience after having taken NONE of the recommendations we ROUTINELY publish.

so, are you going to post a snarky thread about customers who spill the mcdonalds coffee all over themselves and then sue mcdonalds because the coffee was hot? because that's kind of what we've got going on here with people who know better, or should know better, but pay their money to a shitty fitter anyway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 14, 17 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what type of eye ball count do you get under the "Bike Fit" heading? (and further, how does that impression count relate to the other headers?)

Interestingly, if I google search "triathlon bike fit" a slowtwitch article is the first to pop up, but it looks like it's from decades ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
My question: So what do we do to identify these incompetent profiteers? What are the tools good or exceptional fitters use? What are their credentials and certifications?

Disclaimer: I'm a professional fitter, although it's not my full time job.

If a fitter does not offer followup visits or modifications to a fit free of charge, that's a red flag to me. A fitter should always attempt to get it right the first time, but sometimes that's not possible for a variety of reasons. Your post touches on this. A quality fitter will want to get it right for the athlete even if it takes several followups, and initial pricing should cover this.

I tell people up front that my fits include followups on that same bike if something feels "off", or if they go and get a different saddle or pedals or bars or something else that I recommended they change. It's worth my time to ensure that the new equipment is set up properly, and the correct adjustments are made. Likewise, I prefer to have the opportunity to "fix" something that I may not have done perfectly during the fit. I only have one reputation, so it's important to me that athletes are happy with the service provided. Especially since word of mouth is perhaps the best advertising there is for fitters.

Does this cut into profits? Maybe. I've heard of shops charging for athletes to keep coming back again and again with the same issues, and they never really fix them. I don't know if that's intentional, as a recurring revenue stream, or of they just can't fix them. I suspect the latter. Do athletes try to get you to do additional work, unrelated to the initial fit, for free based on this policy? Generally no. In 15 years of professional fitting I can recall only two people who tried to get me to do unrelated work for free.

A fit should include some form of followup, in writing, that provides the dimensions of the new fit, the changes relative to the old fit (if applicable), a summary of the rationale behind the changes, anything the athlete needs to be mindful of with respect to the new fit (head position, rotating pelvis, etc.), and possibly suggestions as to areas that can be improved either with training or equipment. If the fit does not include that, that's another red flag.

Fitters who can't or won't answer questions and explain their process during the fit are another red flag, for what should be obvious reasons.

Fitters who charge extra for "cleat alignment" associated with a bike fit. If you're not getting the cleats/shoes/feet right at a very early phase of the fit, I don't think you've got a great chance of getting the rest of it right. Of course a standalone "cleat alignment" service, outside of a whole fit, is a completely legit service if done properly.

Fitters who don't level the bike (assuming the fit is done on the athlete's bike on a trainer), or who don't ensure the athlete is sitting properly on the saddle or with their head properly positioned (i.e. - not staring at their feet). I've seen several fitters let athletes "cheat" with their hips, resulting in too-high seats, simply because the fitter doesn't know to watch for this. I've also seen saddle setbacks measured improperly because the bike was not level to start with. In at least two cases this resulted in athletes being forced to move their own saddles at the start of UCI TT events (and then race in essentially a new position).

I'm an independent professional, I don't work for a shop. My fitting is associated with my coaching business - the coaching is the primary business though. I don't want to offend bike shops here, but it's very hard for a bike shop to pay a quality fitter enough money to get them to do a few fits per day or week, but then also work as a mechanic or (shudder) sales the rest of the time. I've seen shops send staff to the various fit schools and seminars, and they come back all certified, but still not really capable (with rare exceptions) of doing quality fits. I believe a fitter has to be a person whose passion is enabling athletes to pursue and attain their goals. That's more in line with people who provide coaching services, and other "high performance center" type of facilities. Dedicated fit studios are good places to find people with the skills and desire to do quality fits, as are coaching facilities, and in some cases "high performance centers" associated with wind tunnels, tracks, or other aero testing facilities. Shops are where you go to buy stuff and to have your stuff worked on, not necessarily to be fit. Although, again, there are a few bike shops that lucked out and found a great fitter, or who make fitting a core competency of their business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Passive is not an adjective I would use to describe you. Passionate is the first one that comes to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a potential problem with this, is, for the new entrant into the sport (although there are less and less...).

I want to get a bike fit, and I see that there's a guy that is championed in Boulder, and in Richmond, and Tennessee, and wherever else, but I live in, say, Maine.

I pick up some of the keywords from the article and take it to my local fitter, and say, well, can you do this? The guy says, oh yea, I can totally do all of that, I just don't market myself as much as those guys, so that's why my name wasn't included in that list.

Over in the classifieds, there is a long list of people that have provided good experiences. The list of people that have provided bad experiences is quite short, but interestingly enough, the same name(s) show up repeatedly.

I agree that championing good fitters is important. And I think fitters can certainly fall into the "YMMV" category. But the really bad ones should also be identified.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think "fitters" and "fitting" are overrated... in that our human bodies are very adaptable, and the very minuet adjustments have very little value after you get your position "ball park" correct. This whole "bike fitting as science" industry is futile ground for charlatans.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
futile ground

Indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
dalava wrote:
futile ground

Indeed.

love the unintentional irony.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Is it weird that I often think about buying my own retul system, fit bike, and then going to get FIST certified just so I can fit myself?

Nope, I've thought of the same thing as I already have a dedicated "training bike" hooked up to my Computrainer. A fit bike would let me experiment more easily and let my guests use my pain cave without too much of a hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
This whole "bike fitting as science" industry is futile ground for charlatans.

We are certainly and thankfully moving in that direction, thanks mostly to Dan and this website. Good observation.
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we get good eyeballs on fit. yes, the articles that pop up in search pop up from the past because it's self-perpetuating traffic. we're in the process of referring these now, to the new articles that replace these.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"futile ground"

it's becoming futile ground. it's futile for a GOOD fitter to try to do business because "human bodies are adaptable" and therefore can, i guess, adapt to any shitty position?

there are two responsible parties here: the fitter, to do his job right; and you: to shop wisely.

almost nobody WHO IS A SLOWTWITCHER reads what we write here before he or she goes in for a fit. wthis is obvious because of the threads started by slowtwitchers asking questions as a result of the fits they got.

who has gone to see ian murray, jon blyer, trent nix, matt cole, jim manton, phil casanta, me, and gotten a bad fit? speak up! don't be shy!

if you go to a shitty fitter and get a shitty fit don't blame the industry. knowing what you know as a slowtwitcher if this happened to you, you were a poor shopper.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
who has gone to see ian murray, jon blyer, trent nix, matt cole, jim manton, phil casanta, me, and gotten a bad fit? speak up! don't be shy!

A friend of mine got a bad fit from one of these. The fit is a bit of a head-scratcher. It is a bit of a funny story (to us) and it ended OK, but he got a bike one size too small and a seat way too low. I got a fit and bike from one of these as well, and I think it is OK, but I wonder if it could be better. However, I am so inexperienced, I am not sure whether I should go back for another in-depth fit or try someone else for an alternate opinion. Both of were brand new to the type of bike, my friend to a road bike and me to a tri bike.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 14, 17 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, your online fit looks better. But it is also a picture taken on a trainer vs. a picture in the middle of a race. How did you look when the fitter took pictures? (if they did) How do you look in a race in the new position.

Don't take this as me saying you aren't going the right direction, or that you didn't get a shit fit to start with... but I do think when we do internet fitting we often try to decide how somebody rides 100 miles by a single screen capture, almost always taken when the person is "posing" to be on camera. Fitters also have a hard time deciphering the feedback we (the athlete) gives them... some people are adamant that they "can't" ride in x or y position for whatever reason... how do you force somebody paying you $300+ into something they hate? There's often more going on than JUST a shitty fitter / system.

Last picture looks good to me ;)

YMMV

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to you specifically, just in general...

i don't like to sound like this, especially because a so-termed F.I.S.T. fitter is capable of delivering a bad fit, but one thing i keep hearing is about the blown retul fits. okay. just, can we please not throw ALL the fitters under the bus? i don't teach retul. there's a very specific difference between what i teach and what retul teaches.

my guess is that nobody here can identify what that difference is (except for trent nix and a few others in the business).

it would be good if you guys educated yourselves on the differences between these protocols before you call a pox on all fitters, all schools, all protocols.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if you go to a shitty fitter and get a shitty fit don't blame the industry. knowing what you know as a slowtwitcher if this happened to you, you were a poor shopper.

This is such an crappy cop out. If you had reviewed some of the threads I'd linked you would see that these people are making an effort -- they are researching and reading reviews and shopping all around and sometimes driving for hours across their states to get to someone who is ultimately providing a disservice in exchange for a material sum of money. How easy do you think it is for someone in a flyover state to go see Jonathan Blyler in Brooklyn? What about obtaining additional help as part of the iterative process -- the saddle that doesn't work out, say, or the pain that develops from a long-standing injury? Oh wait, right, impossible.

Blaming the customer is sometimes right but not right in this instance. Believe me -- I'm not one to shy away from calling out idiot consumerist sheep, as you all know. I think you have laughably little empathy for what it's like to be new to the sport and not know what you're doing and not even know about slowtwitch. The huddled masses aren't on this website. Yet, amazingly, even though this microcosm of triathlon here is the most sophisticated, informed, and high-performing of any other, their fits are still awful. They are still getting screwed. That x/y chart is an abomination. Must be their fault for not reading your content better. The broader whole is far worse -- look at that Cervelo graphic of all the riders at an MDot race, which ought to make you throw up in your mouth.

Oh, and by the way, to the masses: if you didn't realize there were going to be ancillary registration fees on the back end of race entry, you're a poor shopper you big fucking dummy!! Seriously though: why are we blaming corporations for something that is so obvious to consumers and common in so many industries (ancillary transaction costs) but we're blaming the customers for the fit fraud that is being perpetrated by solo proprietors and retail outlets? Because WTC is a faceless enemy? Bullshit. Those who are committing these fit crimes and the local bike shops who promulgate them are causing far more injury and insult than your dreadful transaction fees.

You should fly Spirit Airlines at some point, Dan. Your heart would explode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite thing to do is to open up forums and Ctrl+F "Publius." You can be quite abrasive, but I enjoy the discussions you initiate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you had reviewed some of the threads"

inherent in this statement is that they are slowtwitchers. otherwise they wouldn't be writing threads. i don't think very many slowtwitchers are unaware of the ridiculously heavy emphasis on bike fit that has been a part of this site for 15 years.

at some point consumers have to take responsibility for something.

i agree with you that the state of fitting is an abomination, for those who are naive, asea, unaware. and the state of retail. and the state of online registration. the theme of the forum today is to make that point and to come to the conclusion that you don't need them, this is why they're going out of business, what have you.

you could have made a different point, which is to prompt them toward the knowledge of tools and behaviors and practices.

but that would be the job of a builder, and your skill is demolition.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Slowman wrote:

A friend of mine got a bad fit from one of these. The fit is a bit of a head-scratcher. It is a bit of a funny story (to us) and it ended OK, but he got a bike one size too small and a seat way too low. I got a fit and bike from one of these as well, and I think it is OK, but I wonder if it could be better. However, I am so inexperienced, I am not sure whether I should go back for another in-depth fit or try someone else for an alternate opinion. Both of were brand new to the type of bike, my friend to a road bike and me to a tri bike.
I know a few of the guys on that list, but not all. The ones I know are pretty receptive to feedback and criticism, and are usually willing to take another look or will use good reasoning to justify their decision-making.

Speaking only for myself, I've absolutely done an inadequate job from time to time but try to be supremely helpful in making it right. I think I've gotten better over time, and have made a significant monetary, time, and training effort to make sure that the entire team of fitters at my shop are doing a good job. I even have a tendency to even see one of my fits in pictures on Facebook and send a message suggesting something doesn't look right and that we should take another look. Sometimes the rider uses a different posture or slides on the saddle when riding outside. Sometimes a seatpost has slipped. Sometimes the fit gets tinkered with without me being aware. And occasionally the fit simply needs more work.

That said, I've also done a number of pretty good fits that the rider might not have been satisfied with. Bike fitters chasing satisfaction (and not orthodoxy) is how lots of bad bike fits get out into the wild from decent bike fitters, in my opinion.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: How to identify fit charlatans -- and other tools in the bike fitting space [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
I know a few of the guys on that list, but not all. The ones I know are pretty receptive to feedback and criticism, and are usually willing to take another look or will use good reasoning to justify their decision-making... Bike fitters chasing satisfaction (and not orthodoxy) is how lots of bad bike fits get out into the wild from decent bike fitters, in my opinion.
By no means do I think the fitter was a charlatan. And, he was receptive to feedback. Dan threw the question in this thread, and I answered. In my friend's case, something must have gotten sideways and continued un-corrected through the purchase and final bike setup. He had never ridden a road bike before and was fully trusting the shop. I thought he looked a little big for the bike and cramped on it, but I also figured that fit approached since I was racing 30 years ago. It was not until some others questioned it the he went back to the shop to dig in a little.

In my case, I think the fit led to the exact right bike for me (I hope). But I also think that I have a lot of improvement now that I have been riding it for a year. I did a follow-up, and the result was that we just lowered the pads a little. It seems like we could have lowered more and pushed the pads forward some. That is what I am pondering for later this season... do I go all-in for another fit, or just tinker with my existing configuration. I have no clue if my seat position is optimized, I am just going with the original fit. I will post my "judge my fit" pictures here to decide whether to tinker or reboot.

IMHO, I think the fit process should be more of a two-phase approach for first-time buyers. The primary goal of the initial fit should be getting the buyer the best bike and then a fit that is pretty good. This is basically a rough-in fit. After the new rider has been riding for a time on the new bike with the new fit, then the better, long-term fit should be done. If that works within a complementary tune-up window, great. If not, and it is a full-price exercise, so be it. Personally, I think I may need another big session on the fit bike (rather than me on a trainer) to see if there is more optimization opportunity is what I may need.

Fits for experienced riders buying a bike is a different story. But I wonder how many first time buyers get a merely adequate fit and end up with a bike that may not be the best size or model for them?
Quote Reply

Prev Next