Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for Rouvy a couple weeks ago, and I'm wondering what is the best workout that is pre-set to do a true FTP test? A lot of the workouts that I see have a 20 Minute period where it has you at 110% of your FTP, but I don't even know it yet, so how do I determine what it is/could be? Any advice would be helpful... If I need to create a workout, I can do that too; but I'm fairly confident I just haven't found the right workout/ride to do the FTP Test yet on Rouvy. Appreciate the help in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the workout I did for my first FTP test (also on Rouvy) was this one: https://my.rouvy.com/workouts/detail/48827

As far as how to do it, my understanding of taking an initial FTP test, at least what I did for my first one last year, was ride at a pace/power that you can sustain for the full 20 minutes, but after which you basically fall over and die from exhaustion (ie steady but leave nothing in the tank).

Going on the Rate of Perceived Exertion, it would be about an 7.5-8 out of 10 (Somewhere between "This hurts a lot" and "Please make it stop" for the whole 20 minutes). Your FTP will be ~95% of the Average Power from the 20 minute test.

Another alternative is you can try to estimate your FTP from the Rouvy chart (W/Kg and different levels of cyclist), set it and then see if you can hold or exceed that number during the test: https://support.rouvy.com/...4249965-What-is-FTP-

Some links with more info as I just started last year and am no expert:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/power-training-levels/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0901/4514/files/FTPMap30.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, that helps. I did find a couple of pre-set workouts, but they made it sound like it would put you at 110% and I wasn't sure that was intention. I have the Wahoo KIKR, so it should be a pretty true test result if everything is calibrated correctly. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go to the Rouvy website, click on Explore in the banner, click on workouts in the drop down and then type ftp test in the search a bunch of variations on the classic ftp test will come up (44 in my search). If you really don't have enough ride data to make an educated guess at ftp, then maybe just set a ftp value for your self and do a test, any test and see if you can complete it. If you can't complete it you set the value too high, if you have a lot left in the tank then you set it too low. Don't try to test too often, it really does take a lot out of you when done right.

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think doing an FTP test in ERG mode is a bad idea, make sure you find one of the test workouts that is set up as % grade instead of %FTP. That way you can use gear selection to hit the wattage you feel capable of, and you don't have to worry about the cadence death spiral that can happen in Erg mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you go on the main menu there is an "FTP test" option which, if i recall correctly, will give an option to accept result as new FTP at the end. it is a 10 min warm up, 20 mins at 105% of current FTP (can tell it to use something else if you want) then a 10 min cool down. as with any other workout you have the option to increase or decrease the power using the + and - buttons.

of course if you do a user entered FTP test the software will give you the average power breakdown by programmed block so if there is a 20 min block as an FTP test it will calculate the average power.

i prefer using this mode as it encourages keeping the cadence normal/high. its odd - but outside - climbing seems the way to go to get a good FTP result but i know my cadence will be moderate at best but indoors doing high power at moderate rpm seems to be making it harder than it needs to be. om the trainer spinning seems to be the way to get high power for me. will see about making more use of the smaller gears when i get in serious training outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you own a Garmin unit or can borrow one, you can get a quick approximate FTP value (very accurate in my experience) using Xert's free connectIQ app (https://apps.garmin.com/...ea-818a-ee57fc369dbb) and riding hard for a little while doing some hills. You don't even need a formal sustained 30 mins effort. The value would be plenty accurate to use it as a base for programming more accurate tests in Rouvy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to turn ERG mode off in Rouvy? I just switched over to it so I could use my Training Peaks workouts with it but would like to ride some of the workouts without erg on. I have a KICKR if that matters...
Quote Reply
Re: How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help [Brad Fio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use slope mode if doing a free ride, or just choose a course rather than a workout.

Quote Reply
Re: How to get the best FTP Test Results on ROUVY - Please Help [Brad Fio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brad Fio wrote:
Is there a way to turn ERG mode off in Rouvy? I just switched over to it so I could use my Training Peaks workouts with it but would like to ride some of the workouts without erg on. I have a KICKR if that matters...

The answer to your actual question is no. The program is always in "ERG' mode, but some times it is controlling by power and other times by resistance. The pure workouts generally control by power, but all the road courses control by resistance (based off grade).

If you have a power meter on your bike or you have your trainer connected to a head unit you can go into ROUVY's settings and remove the trainer. That puts my Magnus in dumb trainer mode and it works like my old Big Green Machine. I don't remember what ROUVY does in that case, I think it just sits there and thinks you aren't moving.

I'm not familiar with Training Peaks, but doesn't it have the ability to control the KICKR?

The best way I have found to do an FTP is to go as hard as possible on one of the mountain stage programs in the premium folder. When I do that I use the power that is recorded in my Garmin from my Quarq, not what Rouvy is reporting.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply