Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month)
Quote | Reply
I suck on the bike. 56m should take me 3hours on a good day.
Is there any tip/training plan to move me to 20 mph club in 2 month.
I have about 6-8 hours to spend in the bike every week...
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double the time you are spending on the bike
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Double the time you are spending on the bike

At 20+mph

Bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are workouts I really like.

2x20 @ 95-100% of FTP with 5-10min rest period.

And the one I have adopted for the next four weeks as I have stooped improving with the 2x20's:

6-8 intervals of 5min, at 95-105% of best recent 2x20min interval pace (the average of the two intervals). 1 min rest. Compete reps 7-8 if you are no more than 10 watts bellow your third interval when you finish # 6. This one will hurt.

I perform the above workouts 2x per week. I also have one V02 max workout. 6x3min at 115% of FTP with 5min rest interval.

Push really hard. Do not ride hard on your rest days.
Last edited by: Triagain2: Jun 29, 15 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe find a flatter course on a non-windy day? 20 mph is a pretty useless metric.

Seriously though, its tough to have significant improvements on the bike with a short time frame unless you are new to the sport. There will be lots that will say just hammer away at FTP intervals and this may work for you but in my experience, the quick fix FTP route leads to physical and mental exhaustion even at 6-8 hours a week. A long term, consistent approach with more time in the saddle will lead to results. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
I suck on the bike. 56m should take me 3hours on a good day.
Is there any tip/training plan to move me to 20 mph club in 2 month.
I have about 6-8 hours to spend in the bike every week...

Can't believe nobody has mentioned optimizing setup, and since you didn't mention if you have picked all the fruit off that tree...
1. You likely need to improve your position on the bike, and your ability to hold said position. 2 months is fairly reasonable for this. Find the fitter in your area who can get this done. (0.5-1+ mph?)
2. Race kit--find the aerosuit thread. Tight, non-wrinkling fabric is your friend. (0-1 mph)
3. Aero helmet. Many good options, but hard to tell what's optimal. But most likely beat the pants off of standard helmets. (0-1 mph)
4. Tires--Just get the Conti 4000S. Yes, they're expensive. Even if you use butyl tubes because it's hard to install latex correctly (apologies for insulting the cycling gods), you probably see a modest boost over most of the training tires out there. (0.5 mph)
5. Front wheel--get a deep front wheel. Heck, there are some stealth-aero front wheels that aren't deep like the HED Belgium C2+, you probably aren't giving up much over 40k to much deeper rims if you believe the data from the flo cycling guys; but it's hella faster than the box rims that come stock. I think Dan even wrote an article about this years ago. (0-0.5 mph)

And train. 6-8 h/wk is a good chunk, and you should be able to see good improvement off that. I'll defer to the coaches on the best ways to apportion your time for workouts. I'm guessing it'll be ride alot, mostly steady, sometimes hard.

Now you'll be going 22 mph. G'luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helps to know what you are doing now for training.

From my experience with other athletes the problem I see most often is that when a coach tells people to do a set with say 5 minutes max with 2 minute recovery, repeat 6 times (or whatever) - the athlete will actually do 6 times at 80% max. If the duration is there the problem may be a simple one of intensity during training.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really just 2 rides on trainer at night after kid goes to bed and one outside long ride during the weekend all at steady speed.

patsullivan6630 wrote:
Helps to know what you are doing now for training.

From my experience with other athletes the problem I see most often is that when a coach tells people to do a set with say 5 minutes max with 2 minute recovery, repeat 6 times (or whatever) - the athlete will actually do 6 times at 80% max. If the duration is there the problem may be a simple one of intensity during training.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some of these free speed item down, but still trying to figure others out, like crank length. Even got myself a disc cover but too embarrassed to put it on at my speed.
Last edited by: uva0224: Jun 29, 15 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have power meter... Will trainer road works?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. it will do "virtual power" off of a speed and cadence sensor if you have a trainer on their list.

I used it with a wired PT for a few months, and it was slightly off at some power levels, but for what you are needing to do - train in a very structured way - it will be fine.
There are plans to raise your FTP (base building), and focused plans for whatever event you are planning on doing.

Best $10/month I've spent. My FTP has gone up by 30% - 40% in the last 18 months.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
I got some of these free speed item down, but still trying to figure others out, like crank length. Even got myself a disc cover but too embarrassed to put it on at my speed.

Cover is free speed. You should use it.
Crank length probably doesn't impact a ton unless it fixes a fit issue. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Re Trainerroad, no, virtual power isn't perfect, but it's good enough. Just be super consistent in setting up (number of turns to tighten the roller)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:

And the one I have adopted for the next four weeks as I have stooped improving with the 2x20's:

6-8 intervals of 5min, at 95-105% of best 20min interval pace. 1 min rest. Compete reps 7-8 if you are no more than 10 watts bellow your third interval when you finish # 6. This one will hurt.

I perform the above workouts 2x per week. I also have one V02 max workout. 6x3min at 115% of FTP with 5min rest interval.

I think there is something I don't understand here: let's say you do 7x @100% (just to hit the mid of the 2 ranges), it means that you do 7x (5+1)=42' at 98% of your best 20'...
Either your best 20' assumption is wrong or I am missing something...

From my point of view (with my training power ranges), I would never be able to perform such training. If I has to design it, I would say, 6-8 intervals of 5' in Zone 4 with 2' easy in between
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPBaldwin wrote:
TrainerRoad

Best investment I've made related to triathlon.

Had a race yesterday and felt like a beast on the bike (all things being relative..my beast is many's well..not beast) compared to my last outting. Not just in power but also cadence.

No PM here either, just virtual power, HR, and Trainerroad..oh and netflix.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer Road
x2
Last edited by: Enduralete: Jun 29, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
Really just 2 rides on trainer at night after kid goes to bed and one outside long ride during the weekend all at steady speed.

There's the problem right there. Doing steady state all the time will only help you get better at doing steady state (if that). Need to add more intensity in your trainer rides. Some folks have outlined their approaches above and they are all fine. Every couple of weeks I like repeating 1-2 minute intervals with equal rest @ 120%+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make your trainer rides count then. Do intervals.

For me, intervals on the bike (trainer) means that once you get to the "uncomfortably hard" feeling, I actually need to go 10% harder.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Triagain2 wrote:

6-8 intervals of 5min, at 95-105% of best 20min interval pace. 1 min rest. Compete reps 7-8 if you are no more than 10 watts bellow your third interval when you finish # 6. This one will hurt.

I think there is something I don't understand here: let's say you do 7x @100% (just to hit the mid of the 2 ranges), it means that you do 7x (5+1)=42' at 98% of your best 20'...
Either your best 20' assumption is wrong or I am missing something...

From my point of view (with my training power ranges), I would never be able to perform such training. If I has to design it, I would say, 6-8 intervals of 5' in Zone 4 with 2' easy in between

I should have said average of the two on your recent 2x20 workouts.

The 105% is a little high, LOL. However 95-100 is doable. The 1min rest is very important.

I did this workout yesterday for the second time. I average 277 watts for the 8 intervals with high of 283 and low on the last of 271. My best 20minute in the past month was around 280 averaged over two.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get faster on the bike (in 2 month) [samgager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to me getting on trainer road is a bit headache.
I don't have laptop anymore. And get iPhone connect to my garmin ant sensors needs connector after connector and who knows whether they will work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using your iPhone with TR is not complicated at all :) Check out the below article, which shows you what dongle setup you need for your phone, and provides links to buy them so you don't have to worry about getting something that doesn't work. If you have any questions at all, shoot me an email at Trevor@TrainerRoad.com and I'll help you get set up.

http://support.trainerroad.com/...914-ANT-Connectivity

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR is possibly the most simple solution to getting faster over all three of our sports. I WISH I could get a TR for my time in the pool...

Seriously, TR is the furthest thing from a headache. You want to get faster? Push harder.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It seems to me getting on trainer road is a bit headache."

The summary of this thread is "How can I get faster tomorrow without actually doing any additional effort, either mental or physical."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
It seems to me getting on trainer road is a bit headache.
I don't have laptop anymore. And get iPhone connect to my garmin ant sensors needs connector after connector and who knows whether they will work.

I'm the least tech savvy person know and it's a piece of cake. I have iPhone 6 so I got the wahoo dongle ($60) but also had to drop into Apple Store for a 30pin adapter ($30) and the. It was a piece of cake to sync with my DuoTrap and Garmin strap. I also got the Koomus mount ($30) for aero bars and now I'm all set. Been loving trainer road only two weeks in and last FTP test was up 5% so I'm excited to see where I get. One caveat is that I can't have my phone case on to plug in adaptor and I've had to replace my screen twice in two weeks after dropping it and that ran over $100 each time so I was pretty irate about that but now I'll make sure I'm not a butterfingers.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply

Prev Next