Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to bring indoor power on the road
Quote | Reply
I have been training and doing some 70.3 races. 80% of my bike trainings are done indoor due to work and social life mainly in the evening (Kickr/PerfPro/TrainerRoad). Indoor I can easily do a 2,5 hour workout at 80-85% FTP. Outside during training and races it is around 75%. Any suggestions how to bring indoor power outside on the road?
Quote Reply
Re: How to bring indoor power on the road [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your legs to shut up and keep pedaling. And don't coast as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using the same power meter indoors and outdoors? The Kickr may read differently than an on bike power meter.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
I have been training and doing some 70.3 races. 80% of my bike trainings are done indoor due to work and social life mainly in the evening (Kickr/PerfPro/TrainerRoad). Indoor I can easily do a 2,5 hour workout at 80-85% FTP. Outside during training and races it is around 75%. Any suggestions how to bring indoor power outside on the road?

You just need to alter the slope on your PM so that it's off by the same amount as your Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The KICKR is likely OVER stating the wattage you are actually putting out. So if says 300W, you may really be pushing 240. Do you have a crank-based PM you can validate with? Or a friend? The Whaoo KICKR, though good, isn't known for it's insanely accurate precision.
Quote Reply
Re: How to bring indoor power on the road [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Are you using the same power meter indoors and outdoors? The Kickr may read differently than an on bike power meter.

Yes, Power2Max which controls the Kickr and yes I am aware of all the Kickr wattage issues.
Last edited by: Livio Livius: Sep 2, 15 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two suggestions, neither of which is a guarantee, but work for me:

1. learn to push a bigger gear outside
2. shift earlier when the grades go down so as to maintain pressure on the pedals.
Last edited by: gmt: Sep 2, 15 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you use the same powermeter inside and out (power2max). then, your is practice. outside, it might be a little harder to keep focus, consistent power etc but it something important that you need to train.

if you have access to a long climb, go do a test to see if you can produce high power easily outside for long duration.

As for in races.... if someone as hard time producing the watts like they do in training.... it s often a swim fitness issue but i dont think this is the case here...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does your cadence compare riding indoors vs outdoors? A lot of time the free sway of the bike as well as the various distractions outdoors can lead to different cadence compared to indoor riding, which can alter your power.

Beyond that, are there any variables of your indoor setup that are significantly different when outdoors? I.e. temperature, angle of the bike, wind (consider fan position and strength), etc. Ideally, you want to try and keep your indoor environment as representative to your race course environment as possible, using these variables.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: How to bring indoor power on the road [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with jonnyo. What's your average power vs normalized power (i.e. your VI)?
I've been training for 1.5 years with my kickr, but just got a power meter that I can use outside. One thing I'm learning is that my power fluctuates a lot outside. I tend to power through the climbs and coast down. As I've been practicing more, I've been trying to keep my power more even (i.e. less fluctuation) and noticed that my power (average and normalized) are higher with equal/less fatigue.
Quote Reply