Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to add resistance to rollers?
Quote | Reply
I got those aluminum rollers, when i ride in 53/11 at 100rpm i only get around 170W! :-(
Any advise on how to add some resistance would be appreciated.
Last edited by: lmar77: Jan 26, 15 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: How to add resistance to rollers [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your roller description is pretty vague.

Smaller drums= Increased resistance
Many rollers have resistance add-ons. I have the Kreitler Killer Headwind add on and I rarely need to be in the big ring. I get 250 watts easily without gearing out in the small.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I opened the thread hoping to get an answer.

Top tip; when you are asking a question, put a question mark (?) at the end of the sentence.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
Oh, I don't know, how about looking at the manufacturer's website to see if there is a wind fan resistance unit offered as an add-on/accessory?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try deflating a little. That oughta learn you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
I got those aluminum rollers, when i ride in 53/11 at 100rpm i only get around 170W! :-(

Try letting some air out of the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, it seems like every thread recently is drawing out the very helpful responses.

With aluminum rollers the easiest way is with Neodymium magnets. If you get them with a countersunk hole you can screw them to a board and then put them near the roller drum in the back. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item4ad7a4f1fc

The closer to the drum the more resistance. If you get creative with how you attach it all to your rollers you can adjust it by moving it back and forth. I have four magnets and the hardest part is finding that sweet spot in how close, or far, from the drum to put the magnets for the resistance you want.

Here is a more detailed explanation: http://www.bikeforums.net/...e-metal-rollers.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nashbar reduced radius AL rollers. For $7 I added significant resistance to my rollers. I bought "10 Neodymium Magnets 3/4 x 1/16 inch Disc N48" from Amazon. They are thin enough to fit between the metal frame and the end of the AL roller. You just stick the magnets to the metal frame and get them as close to the drums as possible. I just made little tabs to put under the magnets with duct tape so they could easily be removed and the duct tape shims them just a little bit closer to the drum. With all 10 of them placed on the frame around the rear 2 rollers it is a significant increase in resistance. I did a recovery ride the other day 150Watts was 16.6 avg mph. I have another recent ride on these with 21.5 mph with a 234 watt avg. This ride as a max power of 470 @ 31 mph. So as you can see this setup can do 5-600 watts pretty easily.

This is cheap/easy and the basic principal should work on any roller with a metal frame and AL end caps on the rollers. As long as the magnets are powerful (rare earth magnets) and the magnets must be thin enough to fit between the frame and roller.

Another option I have used is rolling up a towel under the roller. This just acts as a brake on the roller to add resistance.

I have a pic of the magnets but don't have the online anywhere to link into here. If you want to see a pic of the setup send me a PM with your email and I can email you a pic of the magnets on the frame.

Quote Reply
Re: How to add resistance to rollers? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:

take a mtn bike tube, cut off the stem and add it to the rollers. Or add 2, one on each side for even more resistance.. The tube is also a quick and easy replacement for a broken roller belt.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi lmar77, this may not solve the problem for your current rollers, but have you heard of E-Motion Rollers? They come with an adjustable heavy-duty resistance unit that allows riders to do even their hardest workouts Inside. You can check it out in more detail on the Inside Ride website : www.insideride.com/features
Quote Reply
Re: How to add resistance to rollers [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:

Another option I have used is rolling up a towel under the roller. This just acts as a brake on the roller to add resistance.

Old school. Tried and true
Quote Reply
Re: How to add resistance to rollers [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If they're plastic rollers, avoid this. The towel (which doesn't conduct heat away easily) will heat them up enough to warp them. It'll also heat them up enough to melt and ruin your tire.

How do I know? Because a 5-minute ride was enough to irreparably wreck my (admittedly cheap) roller and also melt a bunch of tire onto it.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jan 26, 15 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:

so, if you wanted resistance why'd you get rollers?
yes, I know there are many ways of adding resistance, but the fundamentals of rollers is to have minimal resistance.
controllable resistance = mag trainers, fluid trainers, wind trainers etc etc

use the rollers for recovery or technique spins & use a resistance trainer to do resistance training. btw, basic mag trainers are cheap as chips...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tire rolling resistance charts are from roller tests so just find the worst rated tier and ride it on the rollers. The added advantage is that the cheapest tires often have the highest resistance. Thick tubes and tire liners also add to the load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:

Get small diameter metal rollers like those from Performance or Nashbar and then ride with 28 mm Gatorskins at 75 psi. At 140 lbs, at 36 kph I get around 230 W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turn the unit upside down and ride them backwards around the house

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply