Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to Deal with Idiots While Training
Quote | Reply
I was running through my neighborhood back to my house when a truck floored it past me, just missed hitting me and drifted into his driveway. When I got to the guys house I stopped and yelled at him to be more careful next time and slow down in the neighborhood. He yelled back for me "to mind my ******* business, I live here and can do what I want". I pointed out that lots of kids live around here and he was driving way too fast. He yelled back some more obscenities and said he would beat me up. I yelled back that he wouldn't be able to catch me and kept running.

I know who this guy is, where he lives, and what business he owns and runs. My dad told me to leave it alone because some people are naturally stupid. I don't think this is a good idea, the guy was speeding through a neighborhood that is filled with little kids, runners like myself, and families that walk their dogs. What should I do about it?

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Last edited by: Joshawa: Oct 21, 16 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TP his house!

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever considered the possibility that you're the common denominator here?

I've swim doing this just about daily for the last 10 years and can't recall anything remotely similar to what you've described ever happening to me. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start wearing a GoPro because you know he'll do it again and you'll have video evidence which will come in handy when you call the police.

I'd also talk to neighbors and see who else has had problems. There is strength in numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Have you ever considered the possibility that you're the common denominator here?

I've swim doing this just about daily for the last 10 years and can't recall anything remotely similar to what you've described ever happening to me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yes. I had the exact same thought

How about ignoring them? /endpost
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think he'll fall for a banana in the tailpipe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, have you rated his business on Google and Yelp yet?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let. It. Go. He did nothing illegal. You can't change his behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Do you think he'll fall for a banana in the tailpipe?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so are you saying yelling at him didn't help?

Take the high road and move on with your life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, I hear you brother. There are a lot of idiots out there. Lots of idiots out there put my life at risk every time I run or ride on the road.

Agreement aside. My advice, for your own safety: get over, and get over it. Then lobby your local government for bike lanes and sidewalks.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [ddthomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

If it's willing enough to drive like a maniac and curse at you on his front lawn, he may be willing to go further... It isn't worth it.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you react or confront them you lose some of your anonymity. And as you just found out, with today's self-centered assholes, confronting them about their bad behavior does no good.

I would have just noted his address and come back a few weeks later at 3 am and slashed his tires. When you know where someone lives and he has no idea where you live or who you are, you have the advantage. This is why when there's any chance I could have pissed off someone while driving, I never go directly home.

http://www.georgianewsday.com/...hile-in-the-act.html

P.S. Buy a balaclava.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.

I have calmed down now and thought it over. If he does something again, I will do something about it. I will try and forget about it now, but it will be hard whenever I pass by his house.

I don't believe I'm the reason for the problems I've had. I live in a fairly small town where every other vehicle is a red neck driving a lifted truck. I'm not scared of confronting these nut jobs because 1) I live in Canada, not many carry a gun on them. 2) I was taught to stand up to bullies, and as of yet I haven't been hurt from doing just that. 3) I can outrun any of them.

Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
If you react or confront them you lose some of your anonymity. And as you just found out, with today's self-centered assholes, confronting them about their bad behavior does no good.

I would have just noted his address and come back a few weeks later at 3 am and slashed his tires. When you know where someone lives and he has no idea where you live or who you are, you have the advantage. This is why when there's any chance I could have pissed off someone while driving, I never go directly home.

P.S. Buy a balaclava.

Hahaha! I thought of doing that as well, maybe I should wait for a year and get back at him. He has no clue where I live.
When another guy threatened to kill me, I went to the track and played soccer for an hour or so to make sure the guy wasn't waiting around for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the OP, do you mind if I ask how old you are? The reason I ask is that in my 20's I would have done what you just did, and taken offence/reacted to someone else's behaviour, even they were just being an asshole without endangering me. Now I'm in my 40's and my testosterone levels have dropped I don't bother reacting to assholes anymore. In all the times I have reacted it has never resulted in the asshole apologising or admitting they were in the wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our society is rotting......

I'd take the high road..... even if it is difficult.

Escalation and/or property crimes aren't the answer...... public shaming works sometimes.

Sausagetail wrote:

P.S. Buy a balaclava.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
To the OP, do you mind if I ask how old you are? The reason I ask is that in my 20's I would have done what you just did, and taken offence/reacted to someone else's behaviour, even they were just being an asshole without endangering me. Now I'm in my 40's and my testosterone levels have dropped I don't bother reacting to assholes anymore. In all the times I have reacted it has never resulted in the asshole apologising or admitting they were in the wrong.

Hah, I'm 20. Yeah I know I can overreact, and I do quite often. I realize I could have called him an idiot under my breath and moved on. My biggest concern is that the roads are covered in snow and ice and there was no way he could have stopped in time if someone backed out of their driveway, or a kid ran out on the road.

I will try and stop reacting to assholes, but it won't be easy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody here can judge what happened because all we are hearing is one side of the story, I bet the story sounds a lot different when he's telling it on liftedtruckstwitch.com.

Word of advice from an older dude, take it or ignore it. Relax. Give people the benefit of the doubt. When you immediately categorize someone that makes a move you don't approve of as an idiot, redneck asshole and start yelling at him, you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. All you are doing is fueling the already existing dislike for cyclists and making all our lives harder. Life is just way easier when you just defuse conflict and stop worrying about teaching the other guy a lesson.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change careers, become a police officer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I bet the story sounds a lot different when he's telling it on liftedtruckstwitch.com.

Hahaha! "This skinny nerd ran past my house today and told me to drive slower. I told him I own the road and can do what I want. He got scared and ran away"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all the posters saying to forget it, ignore it, take the high road,etc. This attitude is the exact reason we have people like this in our society. Letting bullies and boorish behaving people get away with that behaviour only makes those people worse. In my opinion the bullies are bad but it's the people that say/do nothing who are really the big problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call local PD and ask them to set up a speed trap. They do it in my neighborhood periodically to keep the speeders in check.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [OlTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OlTriGuy wrote:
For all the posters saying to forget it, ignore it, take the high road,etc. This attitude is the exact reason we have people like this in our society. Letting bullies and boorish behaving people get away with that behaviour only makes those people worse. In my opinion the bullies are bad but it's the people that say/do nothing who are really the big problem.

Yes. That is what I thought at first. They are correct when they say that me calling them outright on being an asshole is the wrong thing to do, as it does nothing. There needs to be a way to deal with people like this, sadly the best thing to do is slash their tires and laugh to yourself every time you pass there house.
When I told the cops about the other guy threatening to kill me because I confronted him, they did nothing about it. I guess there isn't much they can do.

Quote Reply
Re: How to Deal with Idiots While Training [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

"Run into an asshole in morning, you ran into an asshole. Run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

- Raylan Givens, Justified

(Not weighing in on who is the asshole here, quote just needed to be posted. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next