Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How often do you change your chain
Quote | Reply
On course last week and one guy was a good cyclist got talking about the usual stuff, watts, training etc. He talks about time savings from things, kit, changing chains. I said I change my chain once per year before IM.

He looked at me like I was a heretic, how often do you change
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replace my training and racing chains once a year

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the chain stretch gauge tells me I should, or replacing a really old cassette then I replace the chain at the same time. Replacement has more to do with mileage induced wear, then it does with age. Edit: OTOH riding moderately (100 miles a week) will get you to 5000 miles in a year and that's on the high end for chain life. So it winds up being about a year if you ride regularly.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 4, 17 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the bike, basically never.

On the trainer, like every 6 months, or sooner if I check probably.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my gauge tells me. I tend to get more life out of my chains, but I also take great care of them. I always have a cleaned and waxed chain. My guess is a training chain I replace every 6,000 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before every important race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of hills and put a lot of strain on the chain. I've noticed mine wear out at about 1200-1500 miles. I'm putting in about 8 hours of riding a week.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replace when the chain checker says to. Usually about every 2000 miles. A lot depends on the conditions your ride in and how much care you put into your chain.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a lightweight and live on the flats. My chains can last 3 or more years before they're worn. Chain wear is a function of mileage, rider weight, terrain and riding style. It's really not possible to specify a certain mileage or time that a chain lasts.

Best thing is to measure it for "stretch" and replace before it gets too worn. You can replace chains many times without the need to replace the cassette if you replace the chain when needed. I have cassettes that are 8 years old and have been through 3-4 chains on the same cassette in that time.

https://cyclingtips.com/...ck-for-chain-wear-2/

http://www.parktool.com/...a-chain-on-a-bicycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every May.
I put a new chain on in May, race the summer on it, then use it all fall/winter on the indoor trainer, cause who cares about a worn chain on the indoor trainer. May rolls around, new chain...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every 6-10k miles, but I change the cassette too. I figure $$$ wise, it's cheaper to do both at the same time and let them both wear. When I was more diligent about putting a new chain on, I'd hate the skipping due to a slightly worn cog. Now, cheaper maintenance and no skipping chains!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my TT bike, it's every other year. But I average about 1200 miles a year on that bike.

With my road bikes it's more mileage driven. I use a chain checker, but over the years I've learned that 3000-3500 miles is what I get out of SRAM/Shimano chains. For Campy, it's 3500-4000 miles.

And as a previous poster mentioned, when I replace an old cassette, I also replace the chain. For me, a cassette usually lasts twice as long as a chain.

hth
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here! Before a major race or every 6-8 months otherwise. It's free power for very little cost. I clean the cassets regularly so I don't replace those as often.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy chains, every 5000 miles. They dont seem to stretch at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About every 250-300 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Every 6-10k miles, but I change the cassette too. I figure $$$ wise, it's cheaper to do both at the same time and let them both wear. When I was more diligent about putting a new chain on, I'd hate the skipping due to a slightly worn cog. Now, cheaper maintenance and no skipping chains!

Huh, you find the chain and cassette wear evenly and perform well for 6-10K miles? This seems like a very unconventional approuch, but maybe most of us are doing it wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either you don't ride much, are changing your chain every 2 weeks, or messed up the decimal in your figure.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race around 8 times a month and change when the wax is gone (dipped chain).
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume if the question was "How often do you replace/throw out a chain" the answer may be very different?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
On course last week and one guy was a good cyclist got talking about the usual stuff, watts, training etc. He talks about time savings from things, kit, changing chains. I said I change my chain once per year before IM.

He looked at me like I was a heretic, how often do you change

anyone who tells you a certain time of year or once a year is giving you bad advice. the good advice is to get a chain checker and go by that.

there is a vast difference with four main drivers of chain endurance:
1. chain manufacturer/quality
2. how well you keep it grit and lubed
3. the type of riding you do (hilly vs flat vs trainer)
4. your weight

if you have a cheap chain that yoy don't care for, ride hills and are 250lbs, you're chain might last 20% as long as if you buy a good chain, care for it first and foremost as those things are in your control.

i use a SRAM chain now, which has low endurance, but i get 4k miles on it even though i am quick to change out based on stretch. i get many miles because i keep my drivetrain vey clean and i only weigh 160lbs. i do a lot of hill riding but despite this, the maintenance is what really allows my chain to last.

if your buddy is condescending about your frequency about changing a chain, just ask him how often he lubes his chain and whst his chain checker is ast when he changes his chain. if he can't give good answers to those two easy questions, he doesn't know as much about chains as he thinks he does.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

Huh, you find the chain and cassette wear evenly and perform well for 6-10K miles? This seems like a very unconventional approuch, but maybe most of us are doing it wrong?
Yep. I just never found the reasoning behind replacing based on a somewhat arbitrary "stretch" as it would force me to change every 2-3 months. Rather than spending ~$70 for a cassette and $40x4-5 on chains per year, just using one chain/cassette pairing for 8k-10k miles of riding works for me. I'm not an anaerobic beast, but rather a good diesel engines. Terrain is completely flat. roads clean.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which chains and cassettes do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Which chains and cassettes do you use?
SRAM (e.g, PG 1070 cassette, 1071 chain).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, use a chain gauge that actually works:

http://pardo.net/...ic/fail-004/000.html

I think Pedro's new tool is the cheapest. After all these years, I think Park still hasn't figured it out.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As usual, Sheldon is the alpha and the omega.

While he is sadly gone, his words continue on through the 'net.
Quote Reply

Prev Next