Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much would you pay
Quote | Reply
So i live in a tourist town and am thinking of starting my second business of an indoor virtual cycle center.

Similar to a computrainer studio.

We will have multiple wheel on trainers, a few erg controlled cyclops bikes and also loaner bikes for out of town folks who may want to get a workout in.

I know most on here have their own smart trainer so they do not need a place like this, but how much would you pay per session when on vacation or to be able to suffer with others?

Also the town would be considered to be on the upper end of the income scale. (though i am not lol)

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Last edited by: surfNJmatt: May 13, 17 4:11
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Athlete Lab in London Cannon Street as an example of pricing in a high income area for this sort of thing. It is in GBP, but just take 80% for $.

I have used it a few times. I cannot see how it can make enough money to cover the rental costs and the fixed equipment costs, but they seem to make it work.

As for me, on holiday I would probably pay $30 an hour to do a turbo session in a gym with showers, maybe a touch more if I had to get some sessions in (months before a race).
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

My thought was $20 a session so far

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see how a business like this is viable but best of luck.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://logikpower.com
http://www.indoorcyclingfusion.com

You can check out these places for some ideas. I personally don't ride when I'm on vacation, unless it's a specific cycling vacation. My family won't tolerate it. There are a few bike shops that also offer this type of thing for free and still have trouble with attendance. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
http://logikpower.com
http://www.indoorcyclingfusion.com

You can check out these places for some ideas. I personally don't ride when I'm on vacation, unless it's a specific cycling vacation. My family won't tolerate it. There are a few bike shops that also offer this type of thing for free and still have trouble with attendance. Good luck.

my thought is that with cycle ops bikes it will also attract spin class folks, which are normally sold out in my area

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

Does that include a beach tag?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

Does that include a beach tag?

lol no way! thats an extra $40 for a 2x2 square of sand next to a smoker leaving their butts in the sand

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
... the town would be considered to be on the upper end of the income scale.

Thought the above was meant to keep OUT the shoobies [and/or Canadians]?

We go Exit 0, so we get a little more real estate; fewer smokers but more wine/craft beer snobs

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't pay anything.
I front load my bike workouts before vacation and just run on vacation and relax.

I also don't see this as a viable business.
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I wouldn't pay anything.
I front load my bike workouts before vacation and just run on vacation and relax.

Again, I said that its not for everyone. Im looking for opinions from people who WOULD do it.

weather or not its viable is for me to decide, What works in tourist towns is way different then what works in other places

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I wouldn't pay anything.

Again, I said that its not for everyone. Im looking for opinions from people who WOULD do it.

weather or not its viable is for me to decide, What works in tourist towns is way different then what works in other places

I agree with you, what works in a normal "work town" verse destination/tourist areas are totally different. In living is SW FL for years I totally get it.

With that being said I think for the me the big deciding factor is how the dollar rate is figured. Is it based off per/hr or per session? If its $20 pr/hr in the upper $ amount areas, I bet you might be able to get $25-30. Not being in that state financially it never ceases to amaze me what the upper class will pay for things when they want it.

If it is per session (you have someone leading it like a spin class or a set time limit) I bet you might be able to get away with a little more $. Being able to walk in with my bike hook up and crank out a workout and walk out without having to haul all my stuff is worth something.

To answer your question specifically, I would be willing to spend around the $15 pr/hr max. But I am cheap and would probably just go ride on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a guy that I ride with who tried this... http://realindoorcycling.com/
Sounds like the same idea you are thinking of.
Not a tourist town so not sure if you would have a better chance but this one closed in about 6 months. I think I could put you in touch with him if you'd like but you've prob done all the homework needed already.

I think these studios may be able to pay bills during cold seasons but not year long.

Unless you can pay everything out of pocket up front and tolerate a slow net negative.

Good luck, tho. Time crunched cyclists who are looking for a 'workout' as opposed to a 'ride' would be my target audience.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: May 13, 17 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that the point many are making is that they would not pay for indoor classes during their vacations. I spend a fair amount of time in South Jersey. Part of the allure is open (relatively safe) roads and good weather. I am from an active family and the only reason anyone visits a gym at the beach is due to the need to use a piece of equipment that is otherwise not available--a Concept 2 erg for example. So, the only reason that I would visit a facility like the one you propose is under the rare circumstance where I forgot a road or tri bike and absolutely needed a bike workout (a swim or run would not be enough). And under those extraordinarily rare circumstances, I would pay up to $40.

Also note that I visited a town in Long Island last summer for a wedding. When I realized that I had some extra time for a workout and no gym in my hotel, I signed up for a local spin class. The facility offered a free trial first lesson. So if a competitor offers that option, you could have some issues.

No doubt you could develop a community of spouses who live at the beach all summer with the kids and treat your center as a social hub. But that would take some good marketing and luck.

Good luck with whatever you do. And if you are setting up south of Sea Isle, send me a message and I will try to patronize you.

Pat

I may not be fast, but once I get going, it is hard to stop me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $28 to do flywheel (or the equivalent) when I travel. It's a lot of $ for an hour, but it's way better than the hotel exercise bike
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In LBI: I'd expect to pay $14.99, but expect that the class would run short, and the bike would need to be lubed/maintained a lot better than it had been.

In Avalon: I'd expect to pay $24.99, and would expect to have to yell at the parent(s) to MOVE THEIR F*CKING KIDS out of the way.

In Wildwood: I'd expect to pay $4.99 but expect that the saddle would be sticky.

But seriously: $15/60'; $25/120'

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: May 13, 17 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
In Wildwood: I'd expect to pay $4.99 but expect that the saddle would be sticky. /quote]

That's fuckin' hilarious

Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
In LBI: I'd expect to pay $14.99, but expect that the class would run short, and the bike would need to be lubed/maintained a lot better than it had been.

In Avalon: I'd expect to pay $24.99, and would expect to have to yell at the parent(s) to MOVE THEIR F*CKING KIDS out of the way.

In Wildwood: I'd expect to pay $4.99 but expect that the saddle would be sticky.

But seriously: $15/60'; $25/120'

Lol that might be steep for wildwood

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty cheap. On vacation, I might pay $10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe 2 for $25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's possible - but you've got competitors. Soulcycle, etc. On the bright side, those businesses make $$$$ so if you can piggyback off their magic, you can get going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were presented the option when on vacation to go someplace where I could ride a real bike (that you provide), and follow a TrainerRoad work out from my in progress plan, I'd be willing to pay up to $25 for that. Nice to travel with out a bike if you're only going to 2-4 workouts while away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you could have a good business idea here if you market and execute it right. I travel often for both work and racing (1-2 times a month typically), and because of that I am always looking for pools, cycling studios, and gyms. I often front-load my biking before but I travel so much that it's not possible many times. And when I do find cycling studios, as a triathlete / cyclist looking to get a solid 90-120 minutes of work in - I can't ever find anything worth a damn. I've tried "Soul Cycle" and the traditional spin classes and as someone training seriously, 45minute classes for any price are worthless IMO. I would love to see a studio that offered serious sessions in the 90 minute range.

Around SF, there is one studio that I know of which my former coach teaches at - "Shift". It's insanely expensive though - $35/per visit. That's targeted towards the very serious crowd though with 90 minute sessions typically (or at least, for the Purplepatch led ones that is) and is a setup where you are provided the "trainer" and you bring your own bike. Bringing my own bike is nice for local stuff but then I'd rather just go train with my tri-club since that's free.

Hope that helps give you some idea! In Chicago, Soul Cylce was $35 last year when I went. In Kansis City, MO, I think I paid 20 or 25$ for a good spin class at a place called Mojo Cycle. In Dayton, OH, I was paying $18 for a spin session with a placed called Logik which might be the same one quoted above. To me, 15-30$ is fair depending on how good the class is, what ammenties are provided (real showers and towels?), etc.

If you open up a place, let us know where! I travel all over.
Last edited by: daswafford: May 13, 17 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you pay [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
If I were presented the option when on vacation to go someplace where I could ride a real bike (that you provide), and follow a TrainerRoad work out from my in progress plan, I'd be willing to pay up to $25 for that. Nice to travel with out a bike if you're only going to 2-4 workouts while away.

^ I really like that idea. I would love the ability to ride a real bike even if it's not mine. And, being able to keep up with Trainer Road workouts (even if it's not my own, but group led, that would be awesome!).
Quote Reply

Prev Next