Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo
Quote | Reply
Title says it all. I swim a 2:00min/100m in the pool. I don't do flip turns. I only swim twice a week and I realize I'm just training to "survive" the swim in my HIMs. I have some sim shorts from ROKA and have noticed that I'm a good 10+ seconds faster in them (buoyancy helps, though they don't seem HUGELY buoyant). And I'm just wondering if the cargo shorts need to go as an option. I don't mind extra drag...but I suck already and just wondering if them making slower is doing actual damage to my already shitty swimming. Or, at my pace does it really matter?
Quote Reply
Re: How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cargo shorts would definitely slow you down. At that pace, there's not much difference between jammers / speedos. I'd wear what you find more comfortable.

The nice advantage I've found of using Speedo's over jammers is that jammers tend to become baggy as they wear out. The bagginess get's in the way and catches water. I haven't noticed that with speedos though.

Figuring out flip turns would probably net you like 5-10s though!
Last edited by: daswafford: Jan 16, 18 18:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can’t learn to swim properly in cargo shorts. Wear a speedo or a speedo style jammer so you can learn proper body position. It’s pretty much impossible in a board short to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say ditch the cargo pants and go for the speed. Even at your pace. By getting used to swimming at the faster speeds, you won't lollygag as much as you would if you're used to swimming at cargo-pants speed.

The cargo pants probably add +5sec/100, maybe +7 at your 2:00/100 pace. You can still get perfectly good swim training with them, but I think you're better served getting in the habit of shaving all the seconds you can get, rather than having an 'out' to blame the cargo pants for.

I did a bunch of experiments myself with slowing myself down with clothing so I could get more to the slow avg speed of the YMCA that I swim in (busy circle swim during the summer) - a short sleeve T-shirt was +4sec/100, nylon sweatpants +4sec/100, both T shirt+pants +7 sec/100, baggy swim pants +3-4/100. Interestingly, I had zero problems with my stroke or technique with all that stuff on - I had heard 'it'll affect your stroke' but it didn't affect my stroke whatsoever, and there was no chafing despite the flappy stuff in the water. Still, I prefer going as fast as possible in the water to stay in the fast mindset, so I rarely swim with the clothing unless I absolutely have to (4 slow people in a lane, for example)
Quote Reply
Re: How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
You can’t learn to swim properly in cargo shorts. Wear a speedo or a speedo style jammer so you can learn proper body position. It’s pretty much impossible in a board short to do that.

But it’s cool if I swim in my steel toe boots, right?
Quote Reply
Re: How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

as long as you keep the rat tail untucked from the cap.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

as long as you keep the rat tail untucked from the cap.

Alright alright alright
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above... old school swim trunks slowmyou down 5 - 10 sec/100. I upgraded myself to jammers at around a 2:00 pace, and I think I gained nearly 10 sec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cargo pants have to be 15+/- slower. Regular swim shorts are about 10 seconds slower than jammers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train in cargo shorts and race in jammers. Forget about doing flip turns unless you are doing any races in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find yourself some tight little budgy smugglers and show the world what you got. You'll go faster, but more importantly you'll look faster.

Also the fact that swimming at 1:40 tends to be quite different to swimming at 2:00. The water has quite a different feel at higher speeds and you end up modifying your stroke accordingly. You can't replicate that at slow speed.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: How much slower - cargo shorts vs jammers/speedo [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:

I disagree. I used to think that way, but I was forced during the summer to find as many drag-inducing clothing I could find since the average speed at my noon YMCA swim (the only time I can go) is around a 1:50 in the FAST lane. It's mainly because it's senior citizen hour, I think nobody except me that has a job can go swimming at noon!

I tried and wore everything. Baggy long sleeve T-shirt, towel between legs, cargo shorts, baggy shorts, parachute, short sleeve T-shirt, etc.

I found the cargo shorts were worth about 3-4s/100 at 1:30ish pace, and will slow you even more if you're slower, prob around 6-7 sec/100 if you're at 2:00/100. But not once did I feel that any of the clothing I was wearing inhibited my swim stroke (to my surprise).

Floating was no problem and there was no restriction or limitations on my stroke. I just went slower, but otherwise swam the exact same technique/stroke I normally did. Seriously, fins feel like they change your stroke wayyy more than drag stuff does in the water.

I still wouldn't recommend 2:00/100 swimmers to wear the baggy stuff to begin with though just because it's demoralizing to swim that slowly or slower when you're working hard. At 1:30ish pace though, it's great to be able to put on all this drag stuff and not totally disrupt the 3-4 others in the lane swimming slower. (The annoying part however is dealing with all that sopping wet drag clothing aftewards in your swim bag!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get yourself some nuthuggers about one size too small. you will instantly start trying harder. this is coming from another crappy swimmer.
as a courtesy to everybody i usually wear some surf shorts to the pool and only disrobe once submerged. there is a tacit but palpable level of appreciation from the guards.
Quote Reply