Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS?
Quote | Reply
With the 2015 bikes coming out, I am looking to pick up my first tri bike. What kind of savings would you consider to be good for an end of the season sale? One shop I visited was taking 10% off their Felt bikes while another was taking 25% off Quintanna Roo bikes. I'm wondering where the sweet spot is to jump in while they still have my size & I would be getting the best deal.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on the manufacturer. Trek bikes are on sale at the end of the summer, new bikes are revealed at Trek World (august), and the 2015's are in the store soon. Other manufacturers stick to more of a yearly schedule...while Cervelo has seemingly given up on "model years" and will simply unveil bikes when they have updates to them.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say 0-25 percent off is probably right depending on the model. Its pretty rare to see bikes over 25 percent off unless they have been around a while or there was a big change in frame or spec on that model. Are the uintana roos 10 or 11 speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on how much stock they have. If they have 2 2014 models left compared to having 20. So hard to say without knowing there sales history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a high end Felt - they knocked off $1200 but a lot of that had to do with the fact that 2015 bikes are cheaper by $500. Salesman said it has to do with the age of the frame design. Last year the frame was new, this year they are using the same frame, therefore the bike is cheaper. Not sure if that really makes sense. I ended up buying a way better bike than I had intended because stock was depleted and if I wanted to get one on sale I had less to pick from. So I chose an expensive model, spendt way more than I wanted to but got $1200 knocked off (shoe shopping logic - ask you wife.)

Wanda
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Wanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh how i loved customers like you :o) evryone's happy Enjoy your bike,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not gloating but I like to pride myself on finding deals... with that said, 10% off is ridiculous. That is like a slap in the face. You should be able to negotiate at least 15% off a new 2015 bike.

25% off for QR sounds great but it's definitely a lower "named" bike, so the higher discount seems to make sense. If someone offered 30% off something new, I'd think it's a good deal. "Worth it" is a different story since there are so many used barely used bikes on the market every year when people with money upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what do you think their margin is on for a new bike? Depending on the volume of the store plays into their cost, but you are off base
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
So what do you think their margin is on for a new bike? Depending on the volume of the store plays into their cost, but you are off base

Does ^^this^^ make sense to anyone? I get a small fraction of what you're trying to say but really don't understand your comment. Please do explain.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You throw out "30%".....they may not even have that as a margin. If I have a sale history of gettting rid of all my old stock by nov lets say, why would it be a "slap in the face" to offer you 10% . Think I am in business to lose money? Some bike a margin is under 30%, unless it is stock I cannot dump, why would I be "insulting" you by not giving you more? ........You are the exact kind of customer i would not want
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
You throw out "30%".....they may not even have that as a margin. If I have a sale history of gettting rid of all my old stock by nov lets say, why would it be a "slap in the face" to offer you 10% . Think I am in business to lose money? Some bike a margin is under 30%, unless it is stock I cannot dump, why would I be "insulting" you by not giving you more? ........You are the exact kind of customer i would not want

Well, no offense, but I could care less if I'm a customer you want. I care about getting the cheapest price I can get. Buying a bike is no different than buying a car. The salesman wants to make the most profit and the buyer wants to pay as little as possible. If I negotiate better than the seller and they barely make a profit, that's their problem.

And the "slap in the face" was just a comment; obviously the wrong one since I had no intention of offending anyone. But I won't take back it's intentions. 10% is not a good deal. I would never take that deal and would never suggest someone take that deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me where your getting 15% off 2015 bikes right now please. 15% of 2014 bikes makes a lot more sense, especially with the new 10/11 speed differences (you'll see 2014 bikes going on sale for more because of that at some point).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Show me where your getting 15% off 2015 bikes right now please. 15% of 2014 bikes makes a lot more sense, especially with the new 10/11 speed differences (you'll see 2014 bikes going on sale for more because of that at some point).

It's not a "show me" thing. It's a negotiate thing. I get that's a lame response, maybe even "troll(ish)" but I stand by that.

FWIW... Just being part of LA Tri Club or Velo LaGrange will get me 10-15% off all new bikes at our local store. When I got my girlfriends brand new Trek Lexa in July, I got 20% off. When I bought my 2011 Trek SC (when it was the only model out), I got 20% off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would 10% necessarily be a bad deal? If the business.does.not need to.discount more to.sell, why should.they. Supply and demand.
Any good business gives the best deal to both parties for long term business. If you were my customer I would want to give you the best deal where you are happy yet I can stay in business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 20%, you made it sound like you were firm at 30%?

(semi pink)

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Why would 10% necessarily be a bad deal? If the business.does.not need to.discount more to.sell, why should.they. Supply and demand.
Any good business gives the best deal to both parties for long term business. If you were my customer I would want to give you the best deal where you are happy yet I can stay in business.

Red: You're really missing the point to my statement and this thread. You need to step out of the "I use to sell bikes" mentality and see this thread for what it is. This guy asked what a good deal would be. Not a "what's a good deal to make both seller and buyer happy"

Bold: I don't disagree with this particular comment. Not at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well depending on stock on hand, starting margin and sales history, a 10% mark down may be a good deal. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think for a second a "good deal" is going to be 30% off 2014 bikes (at this time). IE, that's probably 1/100 deals, not the avg. deal you'll see right now in bike shops. Sounds like a "good deal" for you and the avg good deal, are just 2 different things (good for you, but definitely how the avg. bike shopper behaves). 15% off my guess would be a good deal. Every local tri club I've been affliated with gets 10-15% off merchandise and 5% off bike sales at the local shops they are affliated with (I've part apart of 3 large tri clubs in past 8 years).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bring up another point--in my area shops will give clubs or groups 5% on BIKES but 10-15% off on accessories--and I've read/heard that accessories and service are where they make their money so they can give the bigger discount...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I don't think for a second a "good deal" is going to be 30% off 2014 bikes (at this time). IE, that's probably 1/100 deals, not the avg. deal you'll see right now in bike shops. Sounds like a "good deal" for you and the avg good deal, are just 2 different things (good for you, but definitely how the avg. bike shopper behaves). 15% off my guess would be a good deal. Every local tri club I've been affliated with gets 10-15% off merchandise and 5% off bike sales at the local shops they are affliated with (I've part apart of 3 large tri clubs in past 8 years).

100% agree. You're almost never going to see an advertised 30% off bike.... Well, as I'm typing this there is a Shiv at a local shop going for a bigger discount. Don't quote me but I think it's 40% off.. I do know it's selling for $1999 (and I think the retail is $3250 on that model).

As for the 5% discount. Don't know what to tell ya. We get different percentages on different things. Nutrition and clothes are a high discount (like 20%+ I think). Garmins and components are less. Mechanic work has ZERO discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the 5% discount. Don't know what to tell ya. We get different percentages on different things. Nutrition and clothes are a high discount (like 20%+ I think). Garmins and components are less. Mechanic work has ZERO discount.

________

My point was, I highly doubt the tri club gets the same stock discount for every item in the store (not even including mechanic work). When you said whatever tri club got 20% off bikes, that's not normally how those discounts work between shop/club. Most deals never include bike discount the same as clothing merchandise.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:

________

My point was, I highly doubt the tri club gets the same stock discount for every item in the store (not even including mechanic work). When you said whatever tri club got 20% off bikes, that's not normally how those discounts work between shop/club. Most deals never include bike discount the same as clothing merchandise.

I never said that... but I get your point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes re-read what you posted 10-15% of for the club on bikes. You personally got 20% off, my bad.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I appreciate the fact that a good deal for a customer is 'lowest price' i dont think this really works if you are highly connected to your bike community. I used to work in a store, and I am good friends with several bike store owners and employees, as well as bike fitters and good mechanics ( not the part time high school kid.)

Being aware of bike profit margins helps in negotiating something that the store can stomach. Most small to medium size retailers get about 30% off from bikes. When you add in the fact that alot of them take loans to buy out next years stock you understand that independent bike retailing is a risky business. Going into a store where you absolutely dont know anyone and thinking a 10-15 percent off is lousy going to make you look like a douchebag and sour every employee in the stores view toward you.

Because I've been fair to these bike shop owners/staff in the long run I feel its been better for me overall. I might not have 'saved' that much over bikes overall, but lots if these shop owners are willing to help me source rare parts or help me out in mechanical emergencies - lent wheels, last minute repairs before races, jumping the service queue, free professional advice. Ive gotten free parts that were discarded by rich customers (but servicable), and regularly I get cut in on good deals (bulk purchases on things like wheels, shoes, etc. I can get new stuff fast if I ask and get screaming deals on some things ( got the new sidi wires when they just came out for about 150 less). A Parlee dealer has said he'll give me a good price for my next bike, I may just take him up on his offer.
And its not like I buy lots of stuff from these guys. Ive bought precisely one 2 frames in the last 6 years.

So yea, negotiate what you will. Just remember being decent and nice to your lbs owner pays off in thr long run as well.
Quote Reply
Re: How much of a discount would you expect to get now on a new 2014 tri bike at your LBS? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
While I appreciate the fact that a good deal for a customer is 'lowest price' i dont think this really works if you are highly connected to your bike community. I used to work in a store, and I am good friends with several bike store owners and employees, as well as bike fitters and good mechanics ( not the part time high school kid.)

Being aware of bike profit margins helps in negotiating something that the store can stomach. Most small to medium size retailers get about 30% off from bikes. When you add in the fact that alot of them take loans to buy out next years stock you understand that independent bike retailing is a risky business. Going into a store where you absolutely dont know anyone and thinking a 10-15 percent off is lousy going to make you look like a douchebag and sour every employee in the stores view toward you.

Because I've been fair to these bike shop owners/staff in the long run I feel its been better for me overall. I might not have 'saved' that much over bikes overall, but lots if these shop owners are willing to help me source rare parts or help me out in mechanical emergencies - lent wheels, last minute repairs before races, jumping the service queue, free professional advice. Ive gotten free parts that were discarded by rich customers (but servicable), and regularly I get cut in on good deals (bulk purchases on things like wheels, shoes, etc. I can get new stuff fast if I ask and get screaming deals on some things ( got the new sidi wires when they just came out for about 150 less). A Parlee dealer has said he'll give me a good price for my next bike, I may just take him up on his offer.
And its not like I buy lots of stuff from these guys. Ive bought precisely one 2 frames in the last 6 years.

So yea, negotiate what you will. Just remember being decent and nice to your lbs owner pays off in thr long run as well.

This thread kind of makes me curious as to how a thread along the lines of 'What % are you willing to pay for a good brick&mortar LBS experience compared to faceless online budget retailers?'

My local violin shop is ~10-15% more than online, but when I decided to buy a bow, me and two friends(how something feels in the hand and sounds under the ear vs how it sounds 10 or 30 feet away are not the same thing, so buying equipment is generally a team effort) tried a bunch of bows(15-20). We 'narrowed' it down to 4. Took home one pair for a week, chose a favorite, took them back. Took home the next pair for a week, chose a favorite, took them back. Took home the two favorites for a week, bought the winner. That was only a $900 bow, too. I could've gotten something labeled the same for $790 online. Was the ability to go through that process worth $110? Absolutely.

I think at some point you have to decide, 'do I want to pinch pennies, or do I want to be absolutely certain in my experience and have not even a little bit of buyer's remorse' and often those goals are in opposition.
Quote Reply

Prev Next