Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much cutback on recovery week?
Quote | Reply
My FTP tests, while showing modest power gains, are lower than I'd like or frankly than I think represent my true numbers. I say this because most other workouts using my FTP seem too easy.

It was suggested that I might need more frequent recovery weeks and/or to cut back volume more on them. More to the point that I'm not taking FTP tests on very fresh legs.

At present I have a step back every 4th week on a plan that is increasing volume 10% every week before my taper. This takes me from 7-10 hours or week to about 13-15. My recovery week usually steps back to about the same volume as the 1st week of each quadrant.

If it matters I'm 50 and training for 70.3 in October and in week 6 of a 20 week plan, but coming off a base with 7-10 hours per week for past year. I keep it simple with 3/3/3 bike/swim/run with a long, easy and challenging workout per each (I.e. 30-45 easy run at 9:00, 45-60min tempo at 10k pace 6:30-7:00 and 7-10 mile run 9-10min pace).

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: How much cutback on recovery week? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My plan got every 4th week recovery at about 60% of time. Fits me at 44. At your time in the plan it should be mainly base work I think.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people have different results regarding how they utilize their recovery week and what works best for them.

Some, like myself, go from about 10-14 hours to literally 3-4 hours of mostly zone 1 work, with one really hard interval session thrown in just to keep the engine primed.. But unlike an hour of intervals or FTP work, It'll be 20-40 minutes. So, 3 ish days of work, that's it, 3-4 days off, and essentially leapfrog the on/off schedule.

But some people just use a recovery week as lowering volume but keeping the training the same, kind of like what you said, and others literally do nothing...Sit on the couch and play PS4 or computer games until they're ready to jump back on the saddle.

Try and play around with what works best for you. If you feel great after a couple days of rest you may want to consider more "off" days in your recovery week, but if you come back from a few days off slow, sluggish, and it takes you a few sessions to get back into the groove, try and tweak what you're currently doing.
Last edited by: PatrickOfSteele: Aug 1, 15 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: How much cutback on recovery week? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PatrickOfSteele wrote:
Some, like myself, go from about 10-14 hours to literally 3-4 hours of mostly zone 1 work.

This. I'll go from 11-13 hours for the last 3 weeks to 5-6 hours next week. Light spins all week with a trail ride thrown in and then an FTP test on Saturday. Based on my experience, it sounds like the OP is under-recovered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut volume back about a third for running and cycling, I probably only reduce swimming by about 20%. I'm a bit older but your plan would not be enough recovery for me. I do a 16 build with 5 days of recovery, structured so that the recovery "week" is Monday through Friday. I like to get all I can into weekends.
Quote Reply