Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many push-ups can you do?
Quote | Reply
In one set?

Before tri I rowed, lifted, this & that, even one regimen for a while that consisted of all body weights (pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups plus swimming and short runs).

I bet I can do more than Thibault Pinot . . . Will give it a go in the morning. Haven't done a push-up for maybe 6 months . . . I'm gunning for 36.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Push-ups for rowing? Huh? While rowing, I think I did all of about 10 push-ups. That being said I could do 90 bench pulls in 2 minutes with 90lbs of weight and 47 pull-ups at the time. Now I'm lucky if I get over 10 pull-ups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Push ups- At least 50, but fewer than 70.
Pull ups- At least 20, but fewer than 30.

M30-34. 6'1". I can run and swim a bit and need to spend less time doing pull ups and more time in the saddle.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99% of people who will post their scores are posting BS numbers, a push up should be chest to deck with a full lockout, i would bet there are fewer than a handful of people on here who could go over 50 in one set (no resting in the active rest position). Over 30 is in fact fairly decent with proper form when compared to the general population, i think 50 would be a good indicator of a fit individual, and above 70 is getting into the more impressive numbers. Same with pull ups, lots of people will say easy around 20 but 99% are not doing an actual pullup.

I can get 102-105 in one set, around 130 in a 2 minute set with active rest, pullups 31-35 depending on the day, that was good enough to top out my BUD/S class. Now if you consider one set as long as you can stay in the pushup position i have once gone well over 200 pushups but that was a forced situation that i have no interest in ever replicating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15. Maybe 20 on a good day.
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess you're the 1%?

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
proper ones? none. sort-of-pushups? one or two, then my shoulder gives out. its not my sport :-)

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually do 150 every day, 3 sets of 50. Usually do one set before I leave for work, one set when I get to work (file room), and another set before lunch( file room). And if I'm feeling froggy, I may get an extra set sometime in the afternoon.

I have 3 other friends that keep a text thread open and respond when we have completed your 150. So when you aren't feeling up to it and the 150 texts start rolling in, you feel accountable to get off your ass and get yours.

I did say everyday, I/we usually skip Sundays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a hot day after a long ride I could probably do an entire box of those push up popsicle things. I believe there are six in there.

Quote | Reply
Never do pushups. 10 years ago I couldn't even do three. Probably could do 15 in one go now. Thank you swimming for strengthening my arms. :)

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as many as I used to, I get too big when I do more than 50 a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see 130 in two minutes. All the people I have seen who can do 100+ in two minutes don't do proper push ups. Their body doesnt move up and down as a complete unit. They kind of have the ability to make their hip like a hinge and from the waist down it doesnt move or barely moves, but from the waist up their arms are able to get in a 90 degree or less angle at the bottom of the movement. chest low, and the lock out at the top so it looks like a good push up from the waist up. The most I have seen done in 2 minutes using authorized military rest positions was 96. Given your BUD/S background I am not doubting you, just something I would like to see. With that said, if you have any routines that you would be able to suggest to get to 77 in 2 minutes (Army PT max) send it my way, I have only did that once usually end up with in the 50s maybe low 60s for my recent tests. No problem hitting run and sit up numbers but triathlon training doesnt help my PT test push ups. I want to incorporate a calisthenics only strength routine into my training so again, any recommendations please send them my way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 4 sets of 25 every day. Guess I'll need to record myself to see if they are proper. Pretty sure they are, in not really close. Sheesh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
99% of people who will post their scores are posting BS numbers, a push up should be chest to deck with a full lockout, i would bet there are fewer than a handful of people on here who could go over 50 in one set (no resting in the active rest position). Over 30 is in fact fairly decent with proper form when compared to the general population, i think 50 would be a good indicator of a fit individual, and above 70 is getting into the more impressive numbers. Same with pull ups, lots of people will say easy around 20 but 99% are not doing an actual pullup.

I can get 102-105 in one set, around 130 in a 2 minute set with active rest, pullups 31-35 depending on the day, that was good enough to top out my BUD/S class. Now if you consider one set as long as you can stay in the pushup position i have once gone well over 200 pushups but that was a forced situation that i have no interest in ever replicating.

Yep, I agree. I do 40 push ups but do not lock. I do 4-6 pull ups doing this correctly. Am a wuss.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love pushups.

The most I've ever done in one set is 96. (And no -Mike-, that's no BS.) It was with a monitor who made sure I used proper from (I had two disallowed). It did take me a lot longer than two minutes.

Admittedly, that was back in my early 20's. I'm 61 now and still do three sets of 25 every day before my morning shower. All fingertip pushups by the way, that's how we had to do them in wrestling practice going back to the eight grade. Still like doing them that way.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to compete at work with a kid (>30) and he would always do 1 more then stop. We would do 40 ish in the middle of the office
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at the naval academy there were quite a few dudes hitting 101 in 2 minutes as that was the max. they started to acknowledge doing more i think my sophomore year so most of those guys did a bit more. we did them chest to someone's fist and they would count for us. to mike who went through buds i would guess that if we all had to hit the floor (another 2-3 inches) if would take a good 15-30 off of everyones max. having built up that base of doing pushups for 4 years i was tested in a ex phys class after having done none in over 2 years i was still at 90. today... maybe 70 but my bench max went up so im sure i could still get to my all time max after some time. all time high 147, but again that was hitting someone's fist. chest to deck should probably be the real way to count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 80. I did 100 once about a year ago. I think I have good form, touching or almost touching the floor with hips and nose on most reps, not quite locking out at the top (98% extension? - I don't like the feeling of "locking out"). I often do several sets of 50-70.

I can do 20-25 chin-ups (maybe 18-20 pull-ups)

I started doing bodyweight exercises about 2 years ago, as its easier than making it to the gym.
Last edited by: bikedad: Aug 16, 14 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [frankienm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Retired military (Navy) in 2002. At the time I could max out all 3 events in the PRT for the youngest age group. I can probably still get close on the run. The pushups and setups would be a challenge.

I may need to go to Groton this month and participate in a selectee PRT just to see what happens. I'll bet I could still make the majority of the slugs looks silly.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a drill sergeant challenge me to do 100 while he counted. By his math I did 86 before I couldnt manage another. In reality it was over 90 but of course he only counted ones that he liked. I can do 100 but they may not all be perfect form. It was a silly goal I set for myself a couple summers ago. I started doing 2 sets of 50 3 times a day and it didnt take too long before I could do 100 straight.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
107 in two minutes..
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [LawnDart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In college, we used to play this game called muscle failure. Basically, you took a deck of cards and you flipped two. The sum was the number of push-ups you had to do. Face cards were 20, which sucked. You just kept going round and round until you gave up. You had all the time you needed as long as you didn't rest with your chest on the ground. Last person had to complete his two cards to be the winner.

My friends and I are all too old to get even halfway through a deck now, so during drunkenfests, we just see how many pushups we can do without stopping. We put a tennis ball under the chest and it doesn't count unless you touch the tennis ball. Last time couple of times I did it, I was between 33-38.

I have no upper body strength tho and no pects. When we expanded the drunken body weight exercises into a duathlon and included pull-ups, I could only do 5, and the last one was probably not right, I was kicking my legs like a donkey (not that it helped)
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he made it through BUD/s, I'd say he is. Having former Seal friends, I've got to say physically impressive but the mental strength puts them beyond the 1%. Never really understood how they could be satisfied back in civilian life where your skill set doesn't always translate to the pointy end of success in the civilian world.
Quote Reply
Re: How many push-ups can you do? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, but that is the only thing i am the 1% in :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next