Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many of you have color phobias about your equipment?
Quote | Reply
One of my good friends who does races with me will only wear black running shoes. He's absolutely a fanatic about that. In fact I think we'd have to drive back and get them if he forgot them .i on the other hand can run in any crazy looking colorful shoe except if it is primarily black. I view or believe that I run slower in a black shoe, although this is exactly the reverse for me for the bike which I like black. All of this is simply preposterous.

Bar tape cannot be white or overly white striped. Seat same way.

Cable housing...this is OCD to the max and I have to tell my bike mechanic this right up front. The dark gray or silver shimano dura ace housing. No.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People always confuse OCD with just being anal about things
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant stand bike tires with colored tread or side walls in colors other than black. My bike tires must be all black! It annoyes me to no end when I need a new continental tire and all the bike shop has is the gator skins with the nasty brown side walls!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No neon colors especially orange and lime green. Because they are hideous. Whoever popularized them must have been color blind.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA.

I have nike volt split shorts, volt socks, volt shoes, my giant trinity has a near volt color, my pearl izumi kit and pearl izumi shoes have that nice bright yellow.

You just mad you can't pull it off. ;)

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only work in black. And sometimes very, very dark grey.
Last edited by: Tapeworm: Jul 31, 14 23:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Just bought anew micropump....went with the pink because it was $5 less.

I appreciate a well coordinated bike/kit, but am not going to get hung up on it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my bike kit to match to the bike a bit and be color coordinated. Don't like red gloves with a blue kit for example. As for shoes I have neon orange shoes that don't match anything but they fit perfectly. Sorry Dilbert!
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
People always confuse OCD with just being anal about things

Can't tell if that was meant to be written in pink.

Being anal can be obsessive compulsive if the behavior is rigid, creates anxiety when not done, and interferes with functioning. Being unable to run in anything but black shoes and having to turn around and get them would be considered obsessive compulsive. To qualify as a distinct disorder some other criteria need to be met

If you want to get anal about it.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thing isn't as much color as it is brand. Sure colors need to match but more importantly, all the same brand. Ie: all bottle cages Xlab, tri shorts and top (same brand). If I wear a visor and it's not a race visor then it has to be same as shoes (newton shoes and visor). Although bike shoes and helmet have to match (specilized trivent sworks, red/white and specialized evade, white/red) also same brand.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have to be 100% matchy matchy, but there are certain colors/color schemes I just don't like. Last season my Kestrel frame was replaced due to a crack in the frame. The original frame was this awesome blue color. The new frame is white with these awful maroon accents. It just doesn't go with anything. I seriously thought about selling the bike to get something that was more aesthetically pleasing.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, still just anal. OCD wouldn't be able to leave the hose without the shoes already. In fact, OCD would likely not be able to go to sleep unless the shoes were packed, in the car, already setup for the race.

Even then, that is not OCD, that is just compulsion.

OCD would be the anxiety and constrictive behavior without actually knowing what is causing the behavior, but knowing that something wasn't right.

Being anal is me getting upset with the red and white s-works trivent that I must use as they are the best fitting shoes for my hobbit like feet, and wishing Specialized would hurry the F-Up and make the damn shoes in black and white with a splash of red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red on bikes or on helmets, sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Nope, still just anal. OCD wouldn't be able to leave the hose without the shoes already. In fact, OCD would likely not be able to go to sleep unless the shoes were packed, in the car, already setup for the race.

Even then, that is not OCD, that is just compulsion.

OCD would be the anxiety and constrictive behavior without actually knowing what is causing the behavior, but knowing that something wasn't right.

Being anal is me getting upset with the red and white s-works trivent that I must use as they are the best fitting shoes for my hobbit like feet, and wishing Specialized would hurry the F-Up and make the damn shoes in black and white with a splash of red.

DSM-V Criteria A - the presence of Obsessions, Compulsions, or BOTH. You do not need to engage in the behavior (Compulsion) to have a confirmatory diagnosis of OCD...you can simply obsess along with other criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mistergomez wrote:
One of my good friends who does races with me will only wear black running shoes. He's absolutely a fanatic about that. In fact I think we'd have to drive back and get them if he forgot them .i on the other hand can run in any crazy looking colorful shoe except if it is primarily black. I view or believe that I run slower in a black shoe, although this is exactly the reverse for me for the bike which I like black. All of this is simply preposterous.

Bar tape cannot be white or overly white striped. Seat same way.

Cable housing...this is OCD to the max and I have to tell my bike mechanic this right up front. The dark gray or silver shimano dura ace housing. No.

Not me, but the police seem to really care that I wear something other than clear for my bike shorts. I don't know why they just do not mind their own business.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess your business was hard to miss.
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you have color phobias about your equipment? [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kids these days, just giving away disorders without fully earning them. Back in my day, we would just do a blood letting or a frontal lobotomy with an ice pick and a hammer.

Pansies!!! Rub some dirt on it.

BTW, I could end this thread (and most of your lunch breaks) by posting a pic of me in a speedo from a sprint race recently. I have no style nor color coordination. But I'll spare you the pic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally. I really want my next bike to be completely murdered out (flat black on black). Right now most of my stuff is black/white/red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am colorblind so I probably have some pretty questionable gear pairings...

Black and blue tri suit, red and white bike, orange running shoes, white hat? No problem, I am middle of the pack no matter what color gear I use.

I probably have a retail price phobia more than anything, I rarely buy anything unless it is used, on sale, or I have a discount coupon.

My exceptions: All bar tape must be black, top caps must have the logo/writing balanced when looking down from the cockpit, crank arms must be parallel to the horizon and chain on the big ring for bike pics. These are the things that I get nuts about for some reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bar tape has to be white! Sadles too! Bleach and a fingernail brush keeps them plenty clean.

Wait. Pause... Breathe.

OK. The above was a bit of a lapse. I now have one, of more than 5, bikes with red bar tape.

I'm trying.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike is all black with some red here and there; so the bar tape has to be either black or red so everything looks "perfect." My outfit, on the other hand, I really hate being all "matchy-matchy." The other day I had to skip my run at work, my running shoes are orange and hadn't realized I had packed a short with orange lines on the sides and a running shirt with orange sleeves; I feel like a tool if I go out like that.
Last edited by: Maui_: Aug 4, 14 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just when I though this was going to be an interesting thread...oh well.

No real phobias, except I don't wear advertising (if I have a choice).
Can't do anything about the equipment.
Last edited by: phog: Aug 4, 14 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is all you need to know. Everything last detail is covered in it.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1051123#1051123

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lighter the color your gear (bike), the less likely you'll get hit by a car. If I have a choice on frame color, I go white instead of black. Black looks cooler, but you can't look cool if you're dead.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next