Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [QuickKarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another clear example of the superiority of the metric system ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [QuickKarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, a mile is 1.62 kms. go from there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1609.344m actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
750, so that's 15 lenghts, (i dont think its a true 1/2 mile, but I think its the closest, the mile is 1500 but I think that is not exact) No worries man, swimmin is the only thing I got in the tri, good luck and have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [swim214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like your computing skills are as good as your converting unit skills ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha. that's funny, but true. I'm from America, but I do agree with you. I think we'd be better off with the metric system.

To the OP: 1 mile = 1.609 km
.5 mile = .8045 km = 804.5 m = 32.18 lengths in a 25m pool
Last edited by: glbrum: Oct 31, 07 17:05
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geez help the guy out....32 laps is a half mile
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [r1willyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean 16 right?
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I always get the 1 and the 2 in .62 and 1.61 (the back and forth conversion factors accurate to 2 decimal places) mixed up, unless I actually do the 1/x calc to verify. I should know, cuz 100 km/h is 62 mph ... so forth

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, he means 32. A lap is a length.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a length is a length. a lap is a circuit...(didn't we have this discussion already?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll attempt to end this thread now before it gets too embarrassing.

1/2 mile is pretty close to 800m.

So, 800 divided by 25(the length of the pool) is 32.

So 32 lengths, or 16 laps (as most people consider 2 lengths a lap)

Greg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O boy, the old lap vs. length debate!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But we all know that swimmers can't count, so....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A half-mile (880 yards) is just over 35 length-laps of a 25 _yard_ pool, which are the most common here in the US.

I lose track of laps, but do okay counting 100's. I want to check my (slow) pace on 100's anyway, so I would swim a half mile as 9 100's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. In fact, I am training in metric this year. I run/ride a kilometer so much quicker than a mile . Moreover, my overall distances per week are much more impressive when recorded using the metric system.
Last edited by: Kagemusha: Oct 31, 07 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Sugar Pops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Halloween. So it's kind of fitting to revisit one of the longest-running zombie equine topics in swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'll attempt to end this thread now before it gets too embarrassing.

1/2 mile is pretty close to 800m.

So, 800 divided by 25(the length of the pool) is 32.

So 32 lengths, or 16 laps (as most people consider 2 lengths a lap)

Greg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that with or without a speedsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Hey- I told you guys the day would come that I could help out. That is plain and simply 32 touches of wall for our purposes. Think about it this way- we always ran on 440 yard tracks...never mind man, I am starting to get a little bit like these analyticals. Touch each wall 32 times and you are about 1/2 mile (800 yards).

Have a good night- Joe
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [Joe K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... Touch each wall 32 times and you are about 1/2 mile (800 yards)...

Have a good night- Joe
Quote Reply
Re: How many laps in a 25 meter pool is 1/2 mile? Newbie asking [dbarron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only could a question like this turn into a debate on ST....gotta love this place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"you mean 16 right?"

What if it is a 50 m pool? How many laps then?

Sometimes, they change the lanes so they go the short way across the pool (25 yds). Am I swimming widths instead of lengths then?

Quote Reply

Prev Next