Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long does it take to recover from long ride.
Quote | Reply
I did a 65 Mile race ( lol) 10 days ago with 4800 feet of climbing. More about survival for me. Wheel's came off around 45-50 miles in. Not a great Rider. But I have Olympic this coming Saturday and legs still don't feel right??? How long can recovery take. Swimming is only thing that's normal.
Quote Reply
Re: How long does it take to recover from long ride. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends on the degree of fitness you have and recovery methods. You're still feeling the effects from your ride over a week ago, and we're watching Le Tour at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sort of weekly mileage are you riding? If you had a 65 mile race I hope you did several rides longer than that in training. What sort of nutrition and hydration did you use?

Recovery is extremely dependent on your overall training volume and intensity. I've gotten to the point in my 9th season of doing tris where I can do a hard 3-3.5 hr ride around HIM effort on Saturday & then a harder long run the next day and still feel pretty good come Monday. This is largely a direct result of years of consistent training and not really having an off season. I am smashed after a 70.3 race, as I'm on the line nearly the entire race, and it usually takes 4-5 days for the legs to come around.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that a week after doing a two day 100 mile a day ride, running a marathon was tough.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: How long does it take to recover from long ride. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
What sort of weekly mileage are you riding? If you had a 65 mile race I hope you did several rides longer than that in training. What sort of nutrition and hydration did you use?

Well, no. This was my first ride at that distance this season. It was part of or I should say supposed to be part of one of my first longer training rides for my 70.3 coming up in late September. Hydration was okay but my nutrition on the ride was complete crap. Add to that being a UPS driver and walking all week and lifting heavy objects my legs never get a great rest. but I thought at 10 days out I would be feeling much better than I am. I did a short ride today with some intervals but my legs just felt like they were on fire instantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you?
Quote Reply
Re: How long does it take to recover from long ride. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How old are you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
How old are you?

Probably the best thing is to try and get a little extra sleep, drink more water, and do some easy swimming this week. You are still tired and you can't do any productive training at this point, so do everything you can to go in rested to the race. If everything works out, you will feel good on Saturday and be able to go hard. That intensity will be beneficial training.
Quote Reply