Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How long do your shimano pedals last?
Quote | Reply
I have had 2 pairs of Shimano pedals, 105 and now Carbon Ultegras. The life span seems to be very short in my opinion. I can't remember how long the 105's lasted but the Ultegras have lasted about a year before the loud creaking starts. I greased the spindles and crank and they still creak. Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [hvywghttrigy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the same pair of ultegra pedals I bought in 2004.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Ultegras for probably 5 years. I only stopped using them because I got a pair of Vectors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the bearings, if the pedals spin too freely it's time to open them up and regrease everything and possibly swap bearings.

14 years on mine.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on all of my bikes and never had a pair that I thought wore out.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. Will try that next
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
105 alloy pedals from....2008/9? Still going strong
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
I have them on all of my bikes and never had a pair that I thought wore out.

Yep, my oldest pair (7810 DA) is from '04 and probably has 20k miles...never done a thing to 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of off topic, I've had good luck with shimano spd-L pedals, but have only use the alloy versions so far.

Anybody have any long term experience with any version of their spd-L carbon pedals ? If yes, how do those bodies wear long-term in comparison to the metal versions (the pedal bodies, not so much the bearings--I assume those are pretty similar).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running a set of Dura Ace carbon pedals for the last two years and they are perfect. They look new apart from scuffing of the wear plate and some corrosion on the tension spring. Cosmetically holding up much better than the alloy.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [sheene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheene wrote:
I have been running a set of Dura Ace carbon pedals for the last two years and they are perfect. They look new apart from scuffing of the wear plate and some corrosion on the tension spring. Cosmetically holding up much better than the alloy.

Good to know.

thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a problem for my 105's. 5 years, not a squeak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using 105, ultegra and DA spd for years on all my bikes, some of them pretty old, maybe 10 yrs or so. Mine are old enough they have the little replaceable plastic contact area on the pedal. Newer ones may have them, I'm not sure...but I've replaced these from time to time, or cleats, if they start making noise and that solves the issues. I've used some dry lube on the plastic contact area to quiet them as well. Never an issue with bearing and have never touched the bearings on any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two pair that are at least 10 years old and one pair that's still going strong after 4.5 months!
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 12K+ miles on a set of alloy 6700 Ultegras SPD-SLs with zero issues. As far as I can tell, Shimano pedals are basically indestructible in normal use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of used 105s and I started to hear a click in the downstroke of the right one. I rode it for my bike mechanic on the trainer and he tightened the pedal up and it went away. I have hopes they last a little while longer. Don't know if maybe tightening or taking them off and cleaning the threads and putting back on might work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regards to the carbon pedal body, no problems with it at all. Couple scuffs from using them to rest the bike on curbs. Nice thing since they aren't painted when they get scratched they don't show the metal color underneath the paint.....if your anal about that stuff.

Found a youtube video on greasing pedal bearing, took longer the watch the video than it did to actually do the work. Rode the bike around the block and think it solved the problem, let you know after tonights Crit practice. Thanks for the help.

Hvywghttrigy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of pairs of the model below 105 (pd540?) that I bought used a couple years ago, no problems so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I greased all the bearings in the pedals and the pedal threads, put them back in and they still creak. Not sure what it is, any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noise coming from cleats rather than pedals ?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do your shimano pedals last? [pete_newing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not cleats. Light pedaling and nothing, anything with force and it gets loud. When I stomp on the pedals it sounds like cracking. Took the wheel off and checked the frame under the bottom bracket area and don't see any cracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hvywghttrigy wrote:
So I greased all the bearings in the pedals and the pedal threads, put them back in and they still creak. Not sure what it is, any thoughts?

Grease the cleats and shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you are talking about. It's not the bearings. Clean the springs and lube the adjustment screw on the rear. You also need to work that screw up and down a few times after you lube. I've been using Ultegra/Dura Ace for years. Same thing on both models. I wash the bike and blow out the pedals with compressed air then a drop of oil. That horrible fu@&ing squeak will go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What can wear out on pedals, depending on the brand, the model and the design, is the actual platform or interface with the cleat. If you ride in wet or dirty conditions, this will happen sooner. Grit get's into that interface and the platform surface get get ground down and pitted, from the wear and tear. This creates extra movement and rocking of the pedal back and forth. Not good. Cleat replacement, might help a bit as they can get worn down as well - but ounce that wearing down happens on the pedals themselves, it's time for something new.

Generally speaking, I find triathletes, do a not so good job of staying on top of pedal and cleat up-keep and maintenance. I've walked through the transition areas at many triathlons while the swim is on and seen first hand, many horribly worn out pedals and cleats.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 17, 14 7:14
Quote Reply

Prev Next