Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long do you stay at an event?
Quote | Reply
So I just booked my hotel for Chattanooga and debating about adding another night to my stay and just wondering how long everyone else stays for their events? I booked Fri, sat, Sun night, all of the other races I have done have eitherbeen close to home or I knew someone with a cabin there and got to stay as long as I wanted.

Just wondering how long everyone else stayed and what they did with their time?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you stay at an event? [2011ironorbea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on distance and fam!

If 1 hour away, either head home when I am done - or wait to watch the good people get medals before I head home.

If 12 hours away, then it becomes some kind of family trip. Watch me do stupid things on Sunday, and maybe we can go camp for a few days after..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one Ironman a year for 5 years.

I always got into town on Wednesday, left on Monday.

I never feel rushed this way, gives me time to relax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full Ironman Sunday races - arrive Thursday, leave Tuesday. Love having Monday with nothing to do and explore new city/town.

Half Ironman Sunday races - arrive Friday, leave Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full distance: 5-7 days
1/2 distance: 2-3 days

This might vary by a day or two if something is further away, but I tend to race close by. Each year I've done IMLP I've stayed Tuesday-Tuesday. I love the post race relaxed vibe up there a day or two after the race just as much as the tense vibe a few days leading up to it. It's like two vacations wrapped into one.

Recently at Challenge Quassy, we arrived Friday night, left Sunday evening (my race was Sunday). Kids got to do the amusement park all day Sunday after the race but on Saturday it was family time, swings, slides and picnics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stayed an extra week after some races while others I've driven over 1000 miles home afterwards.

Depends on the race and what I'm doing. Most of the time after a big-out-of-town-sunday-race, I'll drive home on Monday.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crappy destination? 3 nights if flying. 2 if driving. (I've done an overnight once but that was too rushed.)

Hawaii? 2 weeks. And everything in between depending on how much sand sun and surf there is.
Quote Reply