Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share my experience buying a frame consumer-direct from Trek's website. It was a Crockett disc frameset for $999. Trek ships parts and accessories direct to the consumer, but frames and bikes are delivered to the local dealer, and you have to pick them up there (some shops can opt to deliver). Bikes are built up by the dealer, so that makes sense. But I was just handed the unopened frame box, so it was more an extra hassle to have to go pick it up. Hopefully they will ship frames, at least, directly to home in the future.

The purchase process was very easy. The only unexpected thing was that Trek called me a couple hours after the purchase to confirm the details. The frame was shipped later that same day, so very fast processing time.

Now comes the only disappointing part of the transaction. I needed the frame box for my old frame, and I wasn't sure if the dealer unpacked the framesets, so I emailed him to save the box. He replied,

"We will not even take it out of the box. It's your bike!
FYI, you would have saved $90.00 if you had bought it directly from us, just sayin........
Cheers, (shop owner)"

Now I'll admit he caught me already having a bad day. But I was immediately pissed off, to be honest. The money was spent. What was he hoping to gain telling me I could have saved money? Did he think I was forming a domestic team that needed to buy 11 more frames? I went from psyched about the purchase, to mad at Trek Corporate and the dealer.

So I emailed him back.
"I get what you're saying, but why would you tell me now I could have saved money? It just makes me pissed off at Trek and the Trek dealer (you). Sorry but it's true. I was already annoyed that I have to drive down to pick it up instead of it being delivered to my house."

And his complete reply.
"All I'm saying is that we sell that frame for $899.99. No big deal."
(Obviously not something they have in stock, though.)

This is totally first world problems, I know. But I was just so irritated (this is my gut sense of what was going on) that the LBS wanted to fight back a little against corporate Trek's consumer direct purchase model, that he was willing to make the end consumer unhappy. My understanding is that Trek dealers get 80% of their normal margin on these purchases, so he made ~$200 by handing me a box- not too shabby.

Actually he didn't hand it to me. When I went to pick it up, the owner and mechanic were working in the shop. I could hear the owner on the phone in the back. The mechanic said he had the frame, but if I could hang on, the owner likes to go over them personally with customers. The phone call ended and he went to tell the owner I was here. A minute later, the mechanic came back out and a bit sheepishly handed me the box himself. And that was that.

I ended up dropping a line to Trek's customer service about the good and bad points of my transaction. They were very engaged and gave me a store credit to their website for the price difference of the frame ($100). I felt they resolved it well, and did salvage a good chunk of my positive vibes for Trek in general.

I purchased direct from Trek because I really did want to cut out the visiting the bike shop part of the transaction. Why? In my experience, the frame probably wouldn't have shipped 6 hours after visiting the shop. I also thought maybe I'd save the tax buying direct (nope). I worked in a bike shop for 8 years, and they're great. But I think consumer direct also has its place.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humble brag, but hopefully yours turns out as nice as mine did. Love this bike. Thinking about getting another wheelset (road) and keeping this as my multipurpose bike.

I feel your pain with respect to the LBS experience. Can't say I am huge fan of mine, but at least they stock some items that I need right away. Otherwise I prefer the customer direct.

Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the shop owner decided to be a jerk rather than offer any other services or parts you may need for your new ride. If that's the sales method he chooses to employ I can't see him lasting in the ever evolving market. Has consultative selling just completely ended? You're getting a customer through the doors to pick up an item. Show your value then not by being a jerk.

It seems Trek Corporate did pretty well though all things considered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think there are 2 takeaways to this and believe me when i tell you i struggle with this conundrum daily!

1. the shops of today need to acknowledge, process, deal with, get over, move past, accept, accommodate and eventually embrace and use to their advantage the reality of consumer direct; and if they don't the shops of today will not be the shops of the future.

2. you need to acknowledge, process, deal with, get over, move past, accept, accommodate and eventually embrace the fact that if your LBS options go away you're totally screwed, and your sport will go away, and you'll be standing there aside your bike with it's top tube in one hand and your dick in the other, wondering where your sport went.

both these things are true. you (the consumer) and your LBS best find a way to live with each other happily.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 15, 17 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks.

In my experience, more often than not, bike shops are filled with dicks that act like you're bothering them.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait ur mad at the shop owner you don't want to be in business or do business with? And your upset with him for letting you know puchasing local can save you money?

I think maybe it was your attitude towards the bike shop from the beginning that tainted the transaction.

Trek understand Los that the LBS will always be needed. That's why they ship to shops.

Just my .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up ordering from my LBS for my SC. I thought about just ordering from Trek as my LBS for this purchase is actually 150 miles away. But in the end I am glad I ordered at the LBS. Dan's point is true. While I can do most stuff for myself, I still like the idea of a brick and mortar store for some purchases. Putting my hands on the parts first is worth it sometimes. Sure, I can order a tube or a tire from the web and have it delivered to my door and not deal with the hassle of getting to the LBS just to be annoyed at how they might treat me, but talking over the details on my bike purchase was worth it with a sales guy. Sure, it took a bit more time to go over some things I didn't need to with him, but in the end I think I made the right choice.

Bottom line, hope you are happy with the bike. That is what really matters!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Wait ur mad at the shop owner you don't want to be in business or do business with? And your upset with him for letting you know puchasing local can save you money?

I think maybe it was your attitude towards the bike shop from the beginning that tainted the transaction.

Trek understand Los that the LBS will always be needed. That's why they ship to shops.
Agreed. Hard to blame the LBS for mentioning that they could have gotten the bike cheaper for you. That's how word could get around that it can make sense, when shopping for a high end frame or bike, to go to them first. They're trying hard to remain in the business of selling bikes. I'm sure they feel a bit betrayed every time a local goes around them to buy something that could have easily been purchased from them for no or little additional cost.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i think there are 2 takeaways to this and believe me when i tell you i struggle with this conundrum daily!

1. the shops of today need to acknowledge, process, deal with, get over, move past, accept, accommodate and eventually embrace and use to their advantage the reality of consumer direct; and if they don't the shops of today will not be the shops of the future.

2. you need to acknowledge, process, deal with, get over, move past, accept, accommodate and eventually embrace the fact that if your LBS options go away you're totally screwed, and your sport will go away, and you'll be standing there aside your bike with it's top tube in one hand and your dick in the other, wondering where your sport went.

both these things are true. you (the consumer) and your LBS best find a way to live with each other happily.

Haven't read beyond this point but here are a few thoughts:

1) Either the amount of shops needs to shrink or shop sizes need to shrink. I'm in LA and Helen's is my store... I probably give them $200 worth of business a year max excluding service. Why? Because buying products that I know I'll need online is cheaper and easier. I never understand why they have many millions in inventory. It makes no sense. You just don't need it. Anyone coming through that door interested in a $5k+ bike will be happy with testing a demo and waiting for their bike to arrive brand new and built up specifically for them. And anyone coming in to buy a $600 bike will feel even better about their purchase.

2) Seriously, why don't service only shops exist like Velofix but with a storefront? If my mechanic did this, I would NEVER go to Helen's. And guess what, when I want a new bike, I'll be happy to sit down with him and order what I want specifically. Trek has a 30 day no questions policy, I'm out nothing if I hate it.

3) I've noticed a trend that high end clothing is less available at bike stores. If this is the case, which makes sense to me, what is stopping a beginner from going to REI over their LBS? Maybe that is your solution to keeping the sport from dying?

I could go on but you're right... everyone needs to figure out a new solution because what has worked will not work moving forward. Personally, as an educated buyer, I push for mechanic only shops and REI type stores. It "should" make the majority happy. There will be plenty that are not or feel inconvenienced but it should fix a lot of problems.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Either the amount of shops needs to shrink or shop sizes need to shrink.

or both. your analysis is sage. i will be writing (at least to industry) my own sense of one possible future for our industry, and it involves a much leaner shop, that is however quite a potentially profitable shop.

BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
why don't service only shops exist like Velofix but with a storefront?

in my opinion this isn't the velofix model, tho i don't think velofix realizes it yet. velofix is going to make it's money selling franchises. velofix franchise owners are going to make their money off a regular route, with each day that van parked in front of an employer. mobile's future isn't in driving to your house, it's in driving to your employer.

but i digress.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope the bike works out well for you. sounds like trek corporate at least treated you well with the credit. I haven't had good experiences with the few different Trek LBS I've gone to. Mainly they didn't give a crap about what bike really would work for me, they just wanted to sell me something...anything.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other thing you can stress on in your article....

I'm seriously looking to purchase an Emonda. As an educated buyer, I know I'm not shelling out for SLR; one bird down; however, I can't make up my mind on rim or disc (this is not an opp for someone to tell me what to buy). I CANNOT, I stress, CANNOT get either bike to ride for a significant amount of time. I can't rent one or find a demo. I've called numerous different places throughout the US, including Madison fucking Wisconsin's Trek Store. The best I've been offered is to ride one around the back of a store; as if I'm going to know the braking power descending Tuna based on the stopping power in a back parking lot.

Yes, I know I just said I can buy and return in 30 days but this seems like a legit problem. If I'm going to buy a used car of the same value, I get to take it out on the highway. If I'm looking to buy a Lambo, they let me fucking floor it. Something is off here and I don't have the solution but I keep going back to demo bikes and then sell them for cost when the new models come in. The store would be out ZERO money and the consumer would feel more confident in their purchase.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Sep 15, 17 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a friend of mine had a similar experience. she's a newish rider and wanted to surprise her husband with a new bike. she ordered it online and it was delivered to the local Trek store. We both thought that the LBS would be in the loop and would extend the same courtesies to her and her husband that a regular consumer would. The store is branded as a Trek store, not a regular LBS that has a Trek line. When the bike arrived, they assembled it, and handed it off and that was the absolute end of it.

She showed up with her husband to pick it up, so we both assumed they would sit him on the bike and try to dial it in a little. Nope ... just a "here's your bike". I was a bit in disbelief when she told me the story so I personally went over there. When I asked them about it the clerk told me that they offered her a maintenance package. The package was over $200 for a few tuneups and flat changes. He then proceeded to tell me that unless they buy the bike at the store, then the store receives nothing from the sale. If they had bought the bike through the store, they would have received a fit, a discount on the bike and accessories, and some maintenance included. Turns out the "Trek store" isn't really owned by Trek.

Needless to say I was a bit upset and understand why LBS's are failing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I took his comment a different way... maybe he just wanted you to be aware as many of us buy lots of bikes as do our friends and by mentioning it he's letting you know that you can save money in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have no problem with the owner's response. I often--but not always--shop online with the idea of saving money. With that comes risk of either (1) not actually saving money or (2) losing the relationship with the LBS that you will someday need as Dan mentioned.

His tone was wrong but his message was clear--you can save (and build a relationship) if you use me. You will probably never actually use thatvdealer but perhaps give another a chance based on this direct consumer experience
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did not need to say anything about the price. If at all, all he needed to say is that in the future see if he could save you some money. The time to say anything was when you were in the shop not email.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
a friend of mine had a similar experience. she's a newish rider and wanted to surprise her husband with a new bike. she ordered it online and it was delivered to the local Trek store. We both thought that the LBS would be in the loop and would extend the same courtesies to her and her husband that a regular consumer would. The store is branded as a Trek store, not a regular LBS that has a Trek line. When the bike arrived, they assembled it, and handed it off and that was the absolute end of it.

She showed up with her husband to pick it up, so we both assumed they would sit him on the bike and try to dial it in a little. Nope ... just a "here's your bike". I was a bit in disbelief when she told me the story so I personally went over there. When I asked them about it the clerk told me that they offered her a maintenance package. The package was over $200 for a few tuneups and flat changes. He then proceeded to tell me that unless they buy the bike at the store, then the store receives nothing from the sale. If they had bought the bike through the store, they would have received a fit, a discount on the bike and accessories, and some maintenance included. Turns out the "Trek store" isn't really owned by Trek.

Can you expound on your statement? Why are LBS's failing?

Also, what they told you wasn't true - the store does receive something from the sale. Indeed, a Trek direct purchase nets the retailer less margin than an in-store purchase, and something has to give or else they are just taking less money for doing the same job.

And yes, most Trek stores aren't owned by Trek.

I own a LBS so maybe my view is tainted, but I see this as a Trek problem: stores have to provide service in line with what they think is profitable (or else they go out of business), Trek makes direct purchases less profitable for the shop, and the shop has decided to render fewer services as a result. Trek has not offered to manage the consumer's expectations, and the customer is disappointed. But the customer blames the shop for the failure.

I can understand the disappointment and frustration and I'd like to think we'd have offered better service at my shop, but from what I can see the shop still assumes all of the risk and does so less profitably.

One of the reasons many LBS's are struggling is because their own vendors compete with them, day-in, day-out. And the same vendors then threaten the shop to increase their buys. Tough business to be in when the people who are supposed to be your greatest partners are actually working against you...

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you expect a different result? this sounds like exactly what the shop should have done. Buy through them and you get the benefit of their service; cut them out and you are in your own. Sounds fair to me.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW - I only usually shop online when I can't find what I want locally. I prefer to shop at a local Brick and Mortar, because it is good for the community, keeps some people employed and property taxes paid, I get what I want now with no waiting, and I've found that I don't really save any significant money on the stuff I want by purchasing online.

And, by shopping locally you build relationships with people, and usually get better service from having a relationship with them vs not.

That's my experience, anyway.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
velofix franchise owners are going to make their money off a regular route, with each day that van parked in front of an employer. mobile's future isn't in driving to your house, it's in driving to your employer.

My company does this and it's an awesome perk. A company called Beeline Bikes has a fleet of trucks and they are on-site at my company's HQ in Redwood City, CA twice/month. They give like 20% off whatever tune-up you choose vs their retail price. They also have basics to sell like chains, tubes, tires, bar tape, etc.

There is a pretty good LBS less than 1/2 mile away, but the Beeline truck is slammed all day. All you really need is 10-20 regular customers per truck(1/2 or full day per employer).

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:

they're failing because the trek store had a crappy attitude instead of the attitude it should've had if it wanted to embrace a new customer?

or they're failing because your friend took margin out of the pocket of the store owner because the purchase was made online?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Either the amount of shops needs to shrink or shop sizes need to shrink.

or both. your analysis is sage. i will be writing (at least to industry) my own sense of one possible future for our industry, and it involves a much leaner shop, that is however quite a potentially profitable shop.

BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
why don't service only shops exist like Velofix but with a storefront?

in my opinion this isn't the velofix model, tho i don't think velofix realizes it yet. velofix is going to make it's money selling franchises. velofix franchise owners are going to make their money off a regular route, with each day that van parked in front of an employer. mobile's future isn't in driving to your house, it's in driving to your employer.

but i digress.

I sit on the boards of three rather large office parks in Florida (with tenants such as Citi, Blue Cross Blue Shield, 3M, etc.). This will never happen at those office parks and, based on my knowledge of how such developments are put together with mutually binding land use covenants, I don't see it being a common practice.
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Slowman wrote:
mobile's future isn't in driving to your house, it's in driving to your employer.

I sit on the boards of three rather large office parks in Florida (with tenants such as Citi, Blue Cross Blue Shield, 3M, etc.). This will never happen at those office parks and, based on my knowledge of how such developments are put together with mutually binding land use covenants, I don't see it being a common practice.

nevertheless, this is what his happening right now. mind, it's happening at large employers, who control their own property. if you talk to velofix and beeline i think they'll verify exactly what i'm saying. well, maybe not the part where there futures are not driving to your house.

i guess i'm mystified as to why companies can't use their parking lots as they so choose. you would know better than i. but how is this different than a bloodmobile?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How it went buying a frame consumer direct from Trek [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
....problem: stores have to provide service in line with what they think is profitable (or else they go out of business), Trek makes direct purchases less profitable for the shop, and the shop has decided to render fewer services as a result. Trek has not offered to manage the consumer's expectations, and the customer is disappointed. But the customer blames the shop for the failure.

This is a fantastic statement. I think you could substitute any brand for "Trek" here as well. Thanks for the insight as an LBS owner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:

they're failing because the trek store had a crappy attitude instead of the attitude it should've had if it wanted to embrace a new customer?

or they're failing because your friend took margin out of the pocket of the store owner because the purchase was made online?

replying to both Slowman and trentnix.

yes, it's about the crappy attitude and obviously not all LBS's are failing. i'm on slowtwitch religiously and know a tiny bit of some of the LBS intricacies through posts I've read on here. most riders, especially new ones, have no idea. If the Trek clerk had not told me that they were not a Trek owned store I would have never known. Everything they sell is Trek and Bontrager and of course the miscellaneous other minor things, but that's it. how are we supposed to know? If I'm a customer who buys something online and I'm forced to have to go to the local similarly branded store to pick the item up, then how am I supposed to know that the local store is being screwed over? how do i know that I'm being screwed over (because I'm not getting the extra perks and discounts)?

Of course the local store shouldn't be getting screwed over, but if I'm the local store then I would be trying to build a relationship with that customer. It's not like that store is ever busy, put the customer on the trainer and at least pretend to give him a once over. They handed him the bike, gave him an upsell handout with a $200 additional service agreement on it, and sent him on his way. Why would he ever go back?

Meanwhile the bike shop down the street treats his customers like royalty. The owner is there most of the time, remembers your name, and is always willing to help and listen to you. If you ever have a problem, you won't have it for long. I recommended that my friend go there to buy her husband's bike but she knew he really wanted a Trek.
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Sep 15, 17 12:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next