Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How important is it to switch out brake pads?
Quote | Reply
Borrowing a carbon wheel for a race. How important is it to switch out my brake pads I use on my everyday wheels? If it matters, I will be riding roughly 40 miles total on mostly flat roads...
Thanks!

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do you want to own them after you possibly ruin the brake tracks with the aluminum that is in your brake pads?

Swap them out, you'll stop better too with proper carbon pads.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not so much, lol

Nothing I can do to "prep" my pads, then, like sanding, etc?

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get some new pads for ~$10 (not ideal for carbon, but OK). They are borrowed wheels, so treat them well.

These are the pads on my road bike, you can see the aluminum shards in the rubber.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are borrowing the carbon wheels, ask to borrow the brake pads too? They take 2 minutes to change
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quadlt250 wrote:
if you are borrowing the carbon wheels, ask to borrow the brake pads too? They take 2 minutes to change

Good call. I did; his normal wheels are carbon, so he doesn't have a spare set of pads :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yikes! many thanks, dude. sweet pic... you took that just for me? I love ST :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine if you don't brake. If you plan on braking, I'd switch them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not just the metal shards, it's the rubber compound. Some pads are meant for alloy only, some for carbon only, some can do dual-duty BUT you will still have the metal shard problem. Save your wheels, change your pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are saving a lot of money not buying/renting the wheels, so please, please buy some carbon braking pad if you would like to keep your friend friendship.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tobythetuba wrote:
You are saving a lot of money not buying/renting the wheels, so please, please buy some carbon braking pad if you would like to keep your friend friendship.
In Reply To:

Listen to this. Even a cheap set of carbon wheels isn't cheap. Just buy some pads. I think Reynolds makes a reasonably-priced carbon pad that's good (I believe it's the blue one, but don't quote me on that. I use Zipp pads, which are insanely priced, but my Zipps are also ridiculously priced and it's not worth the risk to me to save $25 on a pair of pads that last a long time.) Or if you're just using them for a TT or tri, look for some cork pads; the braking isn't as good as with the newer compounds, but as long as the weather is decent they'll be fine for a tri or TT. In either case, ride the wheels a few times before your race to get a feel for how they handle and brake.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon is hard, really really hard. How many has actually seen a ruined brake track due to aluminum pieces in the brake pad? I think this is a myth in the same category as you can't use a carbon bike on a trainer and I don't bother changing brake pads between my own training and racing wheels. The only exception is the training camps in mountains with lot of hard braking because the soft pads meant for alu will melt in just few days with carbon wheels or the other way the hard carbon pads will eat the alu brake track and won't work in rain.

Now of course anything borrowed must be respected and every possible care taken to return them in perfect shape so this is not an advice to OP just a general comment.
Last edited by: Frost: May 26, 15 22:46
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tobythetuba wrote:
In Reply To:

and return the unused new brake pads to the mate who's lending you the wheels as a thank you...
they'll the tell you to keep the, oh shucks, ok I will
next time you're borrowing the wheels, your lender will be safe in the knowledge that you'll be looking after their gear.
and you'll have brake pads to use then or if you eventually get a set of your own.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is it to switch out brake pads? [Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frost wrote:
The carbon is hard, really really hard. How many has actually seen a ruined brake track due to aluminum pieces in the brake pad? I think this is a myth in the same category as you can't use a carbon bike on a trainer and I don't bother changing brake pads between my own training and racing wheels. The only exception is the training camps in mountains with lot of hard braking because the soft pads meant for alu will melt in just few days with carbon wheels or the other way the hard carbon pads will eat the alu brake track and won't work in rain.

Now of course anything borrowed must be respected and every possible care taken to return them in perfect shape so this is not an advice to OP just a general comment.
Myth is a strong word, but yeah, it's probably exaggerated. I don't think briefly riding/braking on aluminum is going make the pads able to trash carbon rims. Riders switched back and forth between carbon and aluminum rims a lot in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: May 27, 15 3:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frost wrote:

I have. A set of ENVE 45s, ridden by an owner who didn't swap the SwissStop Yellows when switching between them and a Campag alu wheelset. First it was fine scratches, at some point a pretty deep gauge appeared on the front wheel that lined up pretty perfectly with where a shard was stuck in the pad.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that you switched out the rubberized pads for cork pads, not specifically due to aluminum stuck in the rubber (although, that was part of it), but more due to heat dissipation. The cork pads don't product as much heat and/ or spread out the heat better should the OP need to stop quickly. I've heard stories that the rubber pads have warped carbon in some instances.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question on the flip side. I had carbon break track wheels, and switched them out for wheels that do not have a carbon break track. Can i use a carbon break pad on the aluminum break track of the new wheels? Presuming of course i have no intentions of putting carbon wheels back on.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply