Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace?
Quote | Reply
I'I find it's all over the place, and that's on the road. I'm really curious to see whether anyone is finding instant pace accurate for pacing their runs on the road, not trails. I can see trails giving the GPS a tough time, so I can understand the watch having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues. I've raced with it a handful of times now and my average pace while running has always been spot on.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
No issues. I've raced with it a handful of times now and my average pace while running has always been spot on.

By average pace, do you mean the "lap pace" field? I'm wondering about the instance pace field, current pace, real-time pace, not the lap pace.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, just looked at my Fenix 3, and I see the average pace field to which you refer. Anyone finding the "pace" field accurate and useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average lap pace fine, average run pace fine, hardly use current pace so can't comment.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has been bad the last few weeks. Pace has been showing about :30 slower than lap time and actual known time and distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine seems inline with a 920XT. Current pace is good with tree coverage too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find gps current pace to be generally poor for running. On my fenix3 I almost always run with a footpod and use it for pace. Super consistent and quite accurate once calibrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It used to be horrible, crazy fluctuations all the time. Now, it still has occasional flare ups every run where, for example, pace will drop 30seconds /km then increase 45seconds/km then steady to correct pace. I'll quit looking, problem solved. I think garmin forums had a thread on the issue.
Last edited by: Double-Double: Feb 2, 16 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the 920xt I find the "current pace" to be pretty spotty. Any time you take a corner, go near large buildings, or under tree coverage.

Essentially I just don't pay attention to it.

~DE
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
Mine has been bad the last few weeks. Pace has been showing about :30 slower than lap time and actual known time and distance.

For me as well. Current pace seems to be about 20-30 seconds too slow. The lap pace for the mile is spot on though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rainmaker has a note about this, change the recording from "smart" to "1 second" and the instant pace becomes much more accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm using the footpod outdoors for now on.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
Rainmaker has a note about this, change the recording from "smart" to "1 second" and the instant pace becomes much more accurate.

You're saying the Fenix 3/920xt have options to do 1-second smoothing of pace? Mine's at home right now, so I can't check in person, but sounds promising, assuming I'm not misunderstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the watches can either check and record the GPS every second, or can use "Smart Recording" which checks the GPS less frequently, primarily when a change in general direction is detected.

Every second gives more precise distance and speed measurements, but uses battery quicker and creates larger log files (so you can record less workout time overall).

Smart is somewhat less precise, but saves battery and creates smaller files.

If current pace is important to you, I'd set the watch for 1 second recording.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [kluecke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kluecke wrote:
No, the watches can either check and record the GPS every second, or can use "Smart Recording" which checks the GPS less frequently, primarily when a change in general direction is detected.

Every second gives more precise distance and speed measurements, but uses battery quicker and creates larger log files (so you can record less workout time overall).

Garmin customer support suggested the opposite, i.e. that Smart Recording would yield smoother pace figures.

Intuitively, I would have thought how the data was recorded wouldn't affect pace one way or another. But then I don't really understand Smart Recording, because it supposedly only records when changes occur, but I feel like changes (including subtle changes in pace) are constantly occurring.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is your Fenix 3 for measuring current pace? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
kluecke wrote:

Garmin customer support suggested the opposite, i.e. that Smart Recording would yield smoother pace figures.

Intuitively, I would have thought how the data was recorded wouldn't affect pace one way or another. But then I don't really understand Smart Recording, because it supposedly only records when changes occur, but I feel like changes (including subtle changes in pace) are constantly occurring.

Smooth vs accurate. Two different things here. Presumably the reason why the Fenix 3 doesn't give accurate current pace is because it doesn't accurately enough know where it is from second to second, not that one's true pace is so variable from second to second. If the former is true, then smoothing the data doesn't really help with accurately pacing oneself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
niccolo wrote:
kluecke wrote:

Smooth vs accurate. Two different things here. Presumably the reason why the Fenix 3 doesn't give accurate current pace is because it doesn't accurately enough know where it is from second to second, not that one's true pace is so variable from second to second. If the former is true, then smoothing the data doesn't really help with accurately pacing oneself.

I would think just the opposite, if the watch doesn't know where it is at any given moment, but over slightly longer intervals averages out to the right location, then smoothing is exactly what's called for. I'll play around with one second recording and see if it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
niccolo wrote:
kluecke wrote:

I would think just the opposite, if the watch doesn't know where it is at any given moment, but over slightly longer intervals averages out to the right location, then smoothing is exactly what's called for. I'll play around with one second recording and see if it helps.

You're assuming that to be the case? Why? Maybe it would require 60 seconds to average out. I wouldn't think that would be very useful for CURRENT pace.
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Feb 10, 16 22:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
niccolo wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
niccolo wrote:
kluecke wrote:

You're assuming that to be the case? Why? Maybe it would require 60 seconds to average out. I wouldn't think that would be very useful for CURRENT pace.

Well by definition we know it's accurate over long distances. There's some minimum distance where it's fairly accurate, and whatever that distance is, smoothing based on the time it takes the cover that distance is what's needed. Of course, the shorter that actually is, the better, but we don't know what it is at this point. I'm surprised Garmin doesn't include smoothing options in the pace options.
Quote Reply