Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How good are R2C shifters
Quote | Reply
Looking for anyone's input. How good/ Bad are they. And what are your setup. Pic if you have any.
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been racing since 2010 and have had SRAM R2C shifters on all my bikes (first Kuota, then Quintana Roo, now Trek SC). I love them and have had good success with them. I have had to fix 2 shifters but an "overhaul" kit is available on Ebay for $20-$30 usually, so no big deal IMO.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My setup is a 1x mechanical 10sp. I've had these Zipp R2C shifters forever and they've been great. I'm not sure why they stopped making them. I'd love to find out if it's possible to "convert" them to an 11sp via a rebuild kit. I also use the matching Zipp brake levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Zipp R2C shifters for 6-7 years no issues what so ever. Only gave them up bc I switched the TT bike to 11spd. Would go back to them if I could figure out how to retrofit them to 11spd.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I had a pair of Zipp R2C shifters for 6-7 years no issues what so ever. Only gave them up bc I switched the TT bike to 11spd. Would go back to them if I could figure out how to retrofit them to 11spd.

What was the rest of your drivetrain if you don't mind me asking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed them about a year ago. Love them. Went this route because I didn't want to drop the coin on Di2 upgrade but was tired of shifters pointing up and down.

The FD was a PITA to get dialed in. Never had as much trouble with any Shimano FD I've used. This was my first SRAM drivetrain FWIW. Rear was easy peasy.

For any mechanical TT bike, I think they're the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I've been racing since 2010 and have had SRAM R2C shifters on all my bikes (first Kuota, then Quintana Roo, now Trek SC). I love them and have had good success with them. I have had to fix 2 shifters but an "overhaul" kit is available on Ebay for $20-$30 usually, so no big deal IMO.

pro tip: Usually all you need to replace are the tiny metal springs. I have broken 2 in 10 years. They are the same springs used in Campy rtc shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine. They're 2012. Here's a pic, sorry can't find anything closer up at the moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They aren't good. They are effing awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:
They aren't good. They are effing awesome.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked everyone else tell me more about the rest of your setup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had SRAM R2C shifters until I upgraded to a new bike with 11-speed Di2.
The R2C were great, and a massive improvement over the Dura-Ace bar end shifters that were on there before... great for minimizing hand movement when shifting, good shift quality, looked great. You do need to read the manual if you're going to do your own work.

My setup (no pics) with the SRAM R2C was:
SRAM Red R2C shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace FD
SRAM Force RD
I had a couple of different cranksets that I used, one Shimano and one FSA.
My chains were mostly Shimano Ultegra.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drsteve wrote:
The R2C were great, and a massive improvement over the Dura-Ace bar end shifters that were on there before... great for minimizing hand movement when shifting, good shift quality, looked great. You do need to read the manual if you're going to do your own work.

SRAM Red R2C shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace FD
SRAM Force RD

Was Di2 worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
drsteve wrote:

SRAM Red R2C shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace FD
SRAM Force RD

Was Di2 worth it
Yup.
Electronic on the TT bike is amazing. If I didn't have electronic I'd still roll R2C.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Sram R2C, setup with Red 11 speed. Came from dura ace and regular sram shifters and these feel great shifting as well as just holding them. eTap would be a great upgrade, but is more of a luxury item.
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my r2c as well. I run a full sram force 22 groupset. Shfting to etap would be very expensive just to get rid of two cables and that would add a blipbox on the front end so probably not that muchcleaner look in the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the 10 speed version on my gen 1 Speed Concept. Ran them with Force derailleurs, red cassette and multiple front chainring combos including a 55 tooth rotor Q ring and 39 tooth round inner with no issues. My gen 2 Speed Concept has the 11 Speed versions, SRAM Red Yaw, kmc gold chain with 56x44 round rings. I haven't properly ridden it yet but in the few tests it works just great. Pic of the bike in the last page of the "Show us your ride" thread (it's the neon green sc)
Last edited by: ridenfish39: Feb 22, 17 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a lot of people are pretty happy with the R2C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok then, I will give a slightly negative review.
SRAM Red on 2012 Felt B12. I have had the rear shifter replaced once under warranty due to spring failure. I asked my LBS about a rebuild, and was told it would void the warranty, so did the replacement route. Took about 6 weeks to get a new one. Longer than I suspected.
The action is heavier than I would like, especially shifting into the biggest cog.
That being said, if I upgrade, I will probably stick with them....if I don't go to electronic.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DA F/R derailleurs, VT solid chain 53 ring on the front mated to an ultegra 39, Ultegra 175mm crank, probably a DA chain and cassette. I had cobbled a cassette from a few DA cassettes I had sitting around to get the cogs I wanted. I didn't care about an 11 but wanted a 16,17,19.

I should sell all this stuff since all my bikes are 11spd

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the inards rebuilt once. Got them in 2010. When they went, they went NOW. What I like is the crispness of them vs my DA -SIS on the previous bike. It was as step up. In hindsight, what I don't like about them is when new, how stiff they were changing gears. Before they went, it was a 1-finger shift broken in. But when they go, there is no secondary set of shifters like the new BLIP or Di2 may have on the drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are nice and work well, but I have never had great luck with SRAM durability. Zipp made an aero set based on the R2C which is also an option.

Campy is buy once and forget about it. Stuff lasts forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy with mine. Set up as follows:

SRAM R2C
Force FD
Red RD
KMC X10SL
Cassette is Shimano Ult 6800 training or DA 7800 race wheels.

I douse them with GT85 after using the trainer or sweaty summer rides, to keep them dirt and corrosion free. I'm about to fit a new chain & cassette using Squirt lube on my TT bike, interested to see how that goes (trainer first).

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still have them Brian? Based on the rest of your setup you must have had the Shimano pull ratio levers, been looking for a pair of those for a while. They are like rocking horse shit over here in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: How good are R2C shifters [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I do. They are in my storage unit...somewhere.
Interested?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the other SRAM shifters return to center or not?
Quote Reply

Prev Next