Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out?
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure I want to do this race but might need to wait to June 2014 to be sure I can so considering waiting with sign-up until June but would also hate to see the race sell-out before then.

How fast do you think it will sell-out?

A.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17.5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
I am pretty sure I want to do this race but might need to wait to June 2014 to be sure I can so considering waiting with sign-up until June but would also hate to see the race sell-out before then.

How fast do you think it will sell-out?

A.

I don't think it will be a Florida sellout because it's going to be a much harder course but it won't be open in June 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. No way this race will be open past the end of 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:

So, you think it will be open for a few months? No way. This race will sell out before end of Sept. Possibly will sell out within a week. I don't think it will sell out in a day, though.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
apbadger wrote:

So, you think it will be open for a few months? No way. This race will sell out before end of Sept. Possibly will sell out within a week. I don't think it will sell out in a day, though.

No, just making it clear to the OP that if he wants to race he needs to jump on this one. I guess I could be clear and just tell him to book hotels now ; )
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
apbadger wrote:

No, just making it clear to the OP that if he wants to race he needs to jump on this one. I guess I could be clear and just tell him to book hotels now ; )

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I will sign up the day it opens, as soon as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is going to be a very appealing race...the bike sounds easier than some (Wisconsin, Lake Placid); it is close to major population centers; the swim could be easier if there is a current, and you have a late Sept race date, giving people all summer to train and get ready. If registration goes much over a day and a half, I will be surprised.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I think 24 hours as the fastest. Doubt it willbe open more than a week.

Atl & NC have a large population of athletes to feed it.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I'd jump all over this one if IMOO wasn't in my backyard.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now WTC has:

Boulder
Louisville
Wisconsin
Lake Tahoe
Chattanooga

These will all be within 7 weeks of each other, seems that WTC might be close to the fine line of first day sellouts? Although I think many are severely underestimating Lake Tahoe and that will become the new StG, while Louisville might be dropped/moved/or switched to a 70.3

Maybe this continual expansion from WTC is a good thing and will thin out races a bit and make registration not a year in advance commitment.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think this race will sell out so quickly when IM Lou doesn't sell out until a few weeks before the race? The two are in similar geographic areas and within a month or so of each other. I personally think Chattanooga has a greater appeal and I'm considering signing up, but I won't be in a position to pull the trigger on registering anytime soon. I certainly hope it doesn't sell out quickly, but I guess I'll always have IM Lou as a backup plan.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you about Tahoe. As a flatlander, there are a lot of ways I can prepare for hills, but there is no way to get ready for the elevation impact. And the swim might be very ugly if folks go into O2 debt after the first 200 yards. If we hear a lot of horror stories after this year, it will probably not last very long.

Chattanooga will sell out fast ... a few days at most. It may not be that far from Louisville but the locations are very different and while it may get warm, it is not going to be a sauna like Louisville. However, I suspect it will have an impact on IMFL registration and expect that will now take several hours to sell out instead of a couple of minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why does everyone think this race will sell out so quickly when IM Lou doesn't sell out until a few weeks before the race?

Two words: heat / humidity

Quote | Reply
Don't be real hasty to rule out heat and humidity in Chattanooga in Sept. Sometimes our summers drag out pretty long down here. I agree it probably will not be as bad as Louisville generally is (I think Louisville is going to be much nicer this year) but there is a good chance late Sept in Chattanooga will still be a little toasty. I have lived in the area all my life and the weather is very unpredictable.
Last edited by: arby: Aug 20, 13 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think this race will sell out so quickly when IM Lou doesn't sell out until a few weeks before the race? The two are in similar geographic areas and within a month or so of each other. I personally think Chattanooga has a greater appeal and I'm considering signing up, but I won't be in a position to pull the trigger on registering anytime soon. I certainly hope it doesn't sell out quickly, but I guess I'll always have IM Lou as a backup plan.

#1. As mentioned above, the heat/humidity shouldn't be as bad in Chattanooga.
#2. Chattanooga has a much better chance to be wetsuit legal.
#3. Also, the water quality may be better (although, as a 2xLouisville finisher, I don't think the Ohio River is too bad).
#4. There was a perceived notion that people didn't sign up for Louisville because it wasn't a mass start. With the new rolling starts, most IMs aren't going to be mass starts anymore.

Last edited by: japarker24: Aug 20, 13 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I'm not ruling it out, just that I think that there is much, much higher chance of humid heat in Louisville in August than Chattanooga in late Sept. IIRC, Louisville was pretty nice last year, but in 2010 it was brutal. My guess is that a lot of people stay away from Louisville for that reason.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I agree. But I have heard alot of talk about how the weather will be perfect. It "might" be perfect, but then again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail the thread but let me just say as a Chattanooga local how odd it is to see the word Ironman associated with it. I've done IMLOU, CDA, Florida and Cozumel and I never thought our town would get an Ironman. I am of course thrilled to have the venue here and I think a lot of athletes will be surprised at how great the course and city will be for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone considered that being an inaugural event, there will not be anyone/any volunteers who get to sign up "early" (as is the case with Florida)?

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't there be >3000 spots available when registration opens, as opposed to often less than half of that with some of the other 'more desirable' races.

--
"The best things in life are the people we love, the places we've been, and the memories we've made along the way."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Oh, I'm not ruling it out, just that I think that there is much, much higher chance of humid heat in Louisville in August than Chattanooga in late Sept. IIRC, Louisville was pretty nice last year, but in 2010 it was brutal. My guess is that a lot of people stay away from Louisville for that reason.

Spot

Last year (2012) Louisville was brutal. The weather was nearly the same as 2010. 2011 was the mild year.

Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming at elevation is really not that hard if you pace and breath!!!!

Assuming folks can control their pace in the swim, the second climb up brockway will be interesting to see how many are walking. Sure wish they would broadcast
various cameras live from the course so folks can see what is really going on. Would not be that hard to do.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
I guess I could be clear and just tell him to book hotels now ; )

I would if they'd announce the host hotel. I contacted WTC and have heard nothing. I also contacted the Chattanooga visitor's bureau and they say it hasn't been determined yet.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone able to recommend a 2 BR 2 bath with kitchen near the proposed finish line?

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you think the IM Chattanooga will sell-out? [renee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renee wrote:
Anyone able to recommend a 2 BR 2 bath with kitchen near the proposed finish line?

Where is the proposed finish line?
Quote Reply

Prev Next