Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you find time to train?
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitchers ! Sorry for another « Help me find some time to train » thread.
Thing is, this year my schedule changed and I have to work from 10AM to 5.30PM Monday and Tuesday, and from 8AM to 5.30PM on Thursday. That’s a real bummer because I can’t train during the evening (I have a 2 hours commute in the morning and of course in the evening). I can’t train during lunch hour because I simply don’t have the luxury to take one. And I have most of my Wednesday’s afternoon free.

I should also probably state that I’m not living in the US and here the pool opens at 10AM and close at 8PM. So I can’t swim after nor before work. Do you think that training on Friday and on the Weekend is efficient? I’d like to have an interval/speed session for each sport and an endurance one every week. (Training for 70.3). Anyone out there having the same problem?

Thanks guys,

Tri-led
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [Tri-led] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wake. Up. Earlier.

EDIT: Seriously? You only work 3 to 3.5 days per week and you're having trouble finding time to train. Come back to us with a real problem.
Last edited by: logella: Sep 23, 14 5:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a hobby for me, so when life gets in the way I reign back on volumous tri training in lieu of shorter, high pace runs. The article about how awesome the 5k is seems to make more and more sense each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the better question is how do you find time to commute? Holy crap! I'd probably go insane with that drive.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You only work Monday Tuesday and Thursday and you struggle to find time to train ?

Sounds like your schedule is a lot easier than most - even with the ridiculous commute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, get up earlier. I get up at 4am every day and train from 5-7am. I only swim twice/week for 30 minutes each time. I'm doing a 70.3 in two weeks and my 9th Ironman in 8 weeks. Sacrificing sleep is the way you will get it done.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim on your days off. It looks like you have plenty of time to run & ride. Maybe there are some other details missing that might help understand what's impeding your training?

When you have a full schedule, it really does come down to discipline and deciding where training fits into your priorities. I do 2.5hrs of commuting a day and work 530am to 430pm. I do fit in a lunchtime run every day, but with a family at home, I have to be very creative to fit in swims and rides. On weekends I wake up before the family and get training done to limit my time away from them. I've found as long as I keep my training between 8-12hrs a week, it's sustainable. Anything more and something has to give.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as the others. Get up earlier. I get up at 3am most mornings. I have to be at work by 7. Works out well on the weekends, can get a long bike or run in and be home by mid morning. Plus there is no traffic that early so you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just do what you can from Monday to Thursday. Do mostly running and get an indoor trainer if you don't have one. Use Wednesdays for two workouts with one being a swim. Then get most of your volume in on Friday and the weekend.

Or since you're in France just wait for the next strike!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Same as the others. Get up earlier. I get up at 3am most mornings. I have to be at work by 7. Works out well on the weekends, can get a long bike or run in and be home by mid morning. Plus there is no traffic that early so you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car.

Just saying this as a general comment but you should still make sure to have some sort of reflective gear because you can be hard to see at that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you cycle to work? If not, you need to get up earlier, find a different job, or just accept that your training volume will be reduced and figure out how to get the most out of what you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Can you cycle to work?

The dude has a 2 hour drive. Imagine the ride!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides the get up early idea, you can use swim cords for swimming substitute during the week and then try and get 1 real swim a week.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever thought of moving closer to work? I know that's not easy, but giving up 12 hours of you life each week to drive to work is crazy. Consider the cost of commuting and factor that into the cost of housing.

My 5-7 minutes commute buys me another 5-6 hours a week to train. Yes, it means I live in BFE... but I also have no traffic to deal with. Hell, even the 4 lane 65mph highways have wide shoulders and feel safer than 2 lane roads where I grew up in Michigan.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might only be 20km!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did you take a job with a 4 hour loss of your day? The extra pay you get when you factor that in is as good as getting a lower wage local job
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
cartsman wrote:
Can you cycle to work?

The dude has a 2 hour drive. Imagine the ride!

Depends whether 2 hours is a result of distance or traffic congestion. I live just outside London and commute in, about 18 miles. In a car that could easily take me 2+ hours during rush hour, on a bike I consistently do it in just over an hour as I can use cycle lanes to avoid most of the worst traffic bottlenecks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-led wrote:
Hi Slowtwitchers ! Sorry for another « Help me find some time to train » thread.
Thing is, this year my schedule changed and I have to work from 10AM to 5.30PM Monday and Tuesday, and from 8AM to 5.30PM on Thursday. That’s a real bummer because I can’t train during the evening (I have a 2 hours commute in the morning and of course in the evening). I can’t train during lunch hour because I simply don’t have the luxury to take one. And I have most of my Wednesday’s afternoon free.

I should also probably state that I’m not living in the US and here the pool opens at 10AM and close at 8PM. So I can’t swim after nor before work. Do you think that training on Friday and on the Weekend is efficient? I’d like to have an interval/speed session for each sport and an endurance one every week. (Training for 70.3). Anyone out there having the same problem?

Thanks guys,

Tri-led

Am I missing something in your post? How many hours per week do you work?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Holy crap. What time do you go to bed to get up at 3 AM most mornings. If I had to do that, I would be driving around with a 0.0 sticker on my back windshield. No way could I do that.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you find time to train? [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sorry I forgot to add some things.

I indeed work 3 or 3.5 days a week, but I do it to pay for school (I go to school the other days). I take the train to go to school, and to work, and can't afford to live closer.
The swim cord looks like a nice alternative!

To those who get up early, are they long ride/run or intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 hours everyday on the train? Yikes...

Find a pool that's closer to work / school, or if you can swing it, invest in a Vasa trainer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-led wrote:
To those who get up early, are they long ride/run or intervals?

Weekday morning workouts can be anything from an easy 30 minute run to a 60 minute hard bike on the trainer.

Weekends, I've fit in 3-4hrs on the bike before 8am. That wasn't fun and won't be doing it anymore, but I did it quite a bit last year.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-led wrote:

Thanks guys,

Tri-led

2 hours on the train to work? How many miles is it from home to work if you'd ride? 2 hours on the train can sometimes yield not very far in terms of mileage in large cities. Am I right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be challenging but doable with that 2hr one-way commute.

On the days where your work starts 10AM, you can squeeze in 1-2 hrs before work. Takes some motivation but it can be done. You may have to do big volume on the weekends.

Pool time will be a big schedule killer. Honestly, plan on swimming close to zero or 1x/wk just to maintain a semblance of swimming -hopefully you can already swim, because it would otherwise be wise to go duathlon unless you can buy a Vasa trainer.

Seriously, you may want to seriuosly consider going all-running until you get a saner commute. Triathlon will still be there after you get through this phase of your life, and you'll just benefit from building that pure run base. It'll be MUCH gentler on the schedule - at 9 hrs/wk, you'd be putting up near-max training time for running, even compared to elite runners, and 5hrs/wk is more than enough to continue improving.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 23, 14 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you do a partial commute and involve bike or run with that? Or is there a pool which is open closer to work?

Anyways, I just love the irony of a french watch maker who works 3 days a week trying to find time to train ;-)

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next