Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer your specific question and not be snarky about it ;)

I have two medal hangers on the wall in a corner of my bedroom.

1. Allied Medal Hanger - Cityscape - Male Figure (18" wide with 3 hang bars) - Holds my running race medals in a layered fashion. I change the length of the medal ribbon with supplied clips.

2. My oldest daughter (12) made me a medal hanger out of wood and brass hooks that says 'Work Hard Play Hard Tri Hard' - This one only has my Tri medals on it as well as my race bibs.

I don't feel it's gawdy, it's not in a public space and there's a story for each one. Some for shit performances, some for being on the podium. I came to this race game late in life (a tool for a 60lb weight loss journey) and displaying the medals is a daily motivator for me that shows how far I've come and how far I still want to go.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a high shelf along three walls of the pain cave and that has assorted nicer awards on it from mountain bike racing. The medals/bibs from Long Course and XTERRA Worlds are in shadow boxes in the living room. At work I have my 'wall of shame' behind my desk that has bibs/medals from races that have special meaning to me and above that is a shelf with assorted nicer awards/memorabilia. Other race bibs/medals hang from the shelf or are in a pile on another shelf waiting to be hung up; my husband has a similar set up in his office.

manofthewoods wrote:
I peeled off the ones that were on there and have a very small and manageable stack of plates. My wife is/was trying to figure out something creative to do with them.

My husband took the plaques from our old motocross/cross country trophies and mounted them a display boards along with a picture from one of those races. He did the same thing with the plaques from his old skateboard trophies and mounted those on one of his old boards.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [N+1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETA: I keep all my paper products [bibs, finisher certificates, and - in some really old cases - the postcards they used to send to the finishers with times and Overall/AG Placements, etc.] in scrapbooks; 3-ring binders, actually, the beefy 3-1/2" size

I have 3 volumes: 80s&90s, 2000s, and 2010s

Maybe it's: 80s, 90s & 2000s, and 2010s? I haven't looked at the older ones lately to see where the split is

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any reason why you haven't hung em up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't they are in box in the garage.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [N+1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any photos of this? Would love to see it
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Bulldogjcz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bulldogjcz wrote:
I put a bunch of screws in a board and hang them in my pain cave.

x2. My wife had one made for me, but this is the basic concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
Do you have any photos of this? Would love to see it

If by this you mean the Wall of Shame, here it is.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

They're just not important to me. I can't quite bring myself to throw them away, but they're certainly not something I would display in the house.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me

Also my other hobby is photography and I'd rather hang a nice print of a photo I took on my walls than a tacky medal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking about participation medals and trophies here or actual podium awards???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
To a certain extend, I also feel a little gaudy to display them but I feel like I've earned them and they are special to me.

At the end of each race I always look forward to getting the finisher medal and now they end up all tangled up on a lamp...

doesn't sit right

My wife and I keep most of them in a basket tucked on a low shelf, I guess we'll donate those someday but the ones were most proud of we hang on 'competing' racks (hidden around a corner so it's not obvious to guests). She has two Boston medals so she is currently winning.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After never having won anything in my life except for a reading-contest cup 45 years ago, at once, since 2 years, after 10 years of heavy training it started:

Last edited by: longtrousers: Jan 10, 18 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I won the race - the bib goes on the wall in my basement and the award on a shelf next to my desk in the basement. (its a "sort of" finished basement)

A few "important to me" age group awards are also on the shelf.

If the award was a mug - Its in the kitchen for coffee (or dirty on my desk).

Finisher medals are in a box along with the rest of the awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my closet, because no one gives a flying eff that I completed a race except me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

To flip the question, is there a reason you want to display them for people?

I leave all my stuff in a box in a storage locker, thrown put a lot as well. Even medals from world champs, my first IM. I do have the coffee mugs in my kitchen. I know I did the races and don’t feel a need to see those things every day or share them with anyone that comes to my place.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hrPyJ46sUYBsPHGV2

proud to have completed the races, especially the world championship
stories to share with others
I want to see them

With that said, not looking to put it in my entrance. I am looking for ideas on how to display them.

Came across these:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hrPyJ46sUYBsPHGV2

Any thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
michaer27 wrote:
What is the charity that repurposes medals? Thanks!

There are a few but this is the one I used. Your local special olympics organization will usually take them as well.

https://medals4mettle.org

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My plan is to podium at Kona. The trophy is a Koa wood bowl which would make for nice place to store all my medals. The problem is I've been trying to do this for a long time and now have a lot of medals.
But that plan may not be ever be executed so I put all my trophies on shelf in our living room. The shelf is very crowded, plaques are stacked and most of the trophies are very cheap looking. I do this more to piss off my wife rather than to show off. I'm very proud of the bobblehead trophy I won for taking 2nd in my age group at JerseyMan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanging on a hat rack in my closet because no one else cares :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My medals are solely of the finisher variety vs actually winning anything. I give them to my young kids and they seem to disappear over time.

Race numbers on the other hand are proudly plastered all over my basement beer fridge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a mount for mine using old bib numbers that I've hung in the pain cave. I like displaying them as a reminder of how far I've come and for memories of various races. It keeps me motivated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rwLA6olDz991c4I3

My wife's

https://photos.app.goo.gl/thdYkNylyN5d2qSi1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only momento on display is one that was made for me as a gift. The rest is in a box in the basement.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Jan 10, 18 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
My only momento on display is one that was made for me as a gift. The rest is in a box in the basement.

That's cool :)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hang my Ironman medals in my pain cave. They’re on display for me and my family to look back at memories of races and trips that we made together. Those races and trips meant something to us, otherwise we wouldn’t have spent time and hard earned money on them. It’s good to remember where you started and where you’re at.

I find it hilarious when others think it’s shameful to keep or display medals at home. I’m sure most of these folks do rock a tattoo and bumper sticker, neither of which I have or display.

Jctriguy wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

To flip the question, is there a reason you want to display them for people?

I leave all my stuff in a box in a storage locker, thrown put a lot as well. Even medals from world champs, my first IM. I do have the coffee mugs in my kitchen. I know I did the races and don’t feel a need to see those things every day or share them with anyone that comes to my place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next