Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you determine your optimum race weight?
Quote | Reply
Curious to hear other people's experiences with this. Is thinner always better (to a point)? Have you found more success (and speed) as you dropped weight?

I used to do karate heavily until I blew my ACL. I would do 6-7 sessions a week of hard cardio, was pretty damn fit, and weighed in at 205-210. Now with running biking and swimming 15-20 hours per week I am down to 166 pounds and wondering if I should try and hit 155-158 for race days. I raced last year at 170 to 175 but I was not nearly as lean as I am this year after p90Xing in the offseason. The weight seems to be dropping a lot easier this year.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search - we've had threads on this recently.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think this comes down to experimentation. How do you feel training at that lower weight? If you lose too much your training suffers as you go past that sweet spot.

Pick up the book "Racing Weight" Pretty good info in there that will provide some guidance.

http://racingweight.com/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, there is no nice formula for calculating your optimal race weight. I tend to have a bit of Zen philosophy when it comes to training, so my personal opinion is that if you are in tune with your body you will just know. When I was running competitively, I could easily feel a 2 pound fluctuation in weight and knew when it was time to gain or lose a pound or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race weight last year was around 185.

This year it's 175 and I definitely feel the difference. I don't think I can lose anymore weight (and frankly I don't want to). I like having some beach muscles and I eat like a horse.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, your training will dictate the weight you are entering a race assuming you don't have really bad nutritional habits. As to weather or not it's optimal, that will depend on your training. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 17, 10 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For you, 150 or less.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For you, 150 or less.

Haha nice. I'll get right on that. I am scheduled to have one leg amputated ASAP.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found this advice the best. 10% fits best for triathletes. Don't kid yourselves that triathletes have "significantly" more muscle mass the runners of the same height. A few kilograms at best. So I've found 10% below Stillman's height/weight ideal for most triathletes. Not the 20% that Co was - sheesh!

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/.../advice_frank01.html
http://www.serpentine.org.uk/.../advice_frank02.html

Just a note, some of the figures in one of the articles is a little incorrect. (I think from memory the 56.2kg should be 50.2kg.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't race weight always 5 lbs. less than the lowest you think you can go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly but I never thought I could get to 165. I think I weighed 150 pounds when I was 12.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was Scott Tinley who had the best and simplest advice. "Get in great shape and weigh yourself".
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it was Scott Tinley who had the best and simplest advice. "Get in great shape and weigh yourself".

Nice! Along the lines of, "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades."

For what it's worth I think Matt Fitzgerald does an excellent job discussing this question in his book Racing Weight. He addresses optimal racing weight quite thoroughly

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, this comes out for me to exactly where I thought my race weight should be, which is 145 - 151.

I am currenlty 160 so by the time I get to my A race, I will be at 145-151, which will work well.

In Reply To:
I've found this advice the best. 10% fits best for triathletes. Don't kid yourselves that triathletes have "significantly" more muscle mass the runners of the same height. A few kilograms at best. So I've found 10% below Stillman's height/weight ideal for most triathletes. Not the 20% that Co was - sheesh!

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/.../advice_frank01.html
http://www.serpentine.org.uk/.../advice_frank02.html

Just a note, some of the figures in one of the articles is a little incorrect. (I think from memory the 56.2kg should be 50.2kg.)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere on this site that if you masturbate, A LOT, that you will soon reach race weight. It sounds like you are missing that component to your training right now! ;)

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need anymore. I have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!! Well, if that's what you are used to, you are a BIGGER man than I am!!!! Great stuff.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When people start asking your friends and family if you are sick!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:
I read somewhere on this site that if you masturbate, A LOT, that you will soon reach race weight. It sounds like you are missing that component to your training right now! ;)

This is BS. I read that about masturbating and weight loss and proceeded to up my daily "sessions" from 1 - 2/day to 4 - 5/day and I lost precisely 0kg in 4 weeks. I also developed RSI in my wrist :( so I would not recommend masturbation as a form of weight loss. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Isn't race weight always 5 lbs. less than the lowest you think you can go?

I was going to say "Isn't it 5-10 lbs under what you are now?"
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because you're using KGs!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
dforbes wrote:

This is BS. I read that about masturbating and weight loss and proceeded to up my daily "sessions" from 1 - 2/day to 4 - 5/day and I lost precisely 0kg in 4 weeks. I also developed RSI in my wrist :( so I would not recommend masturbation as a form of weight loss. Sorry.

Let's play a game: On how many levels is this post hysterical?

I count at least 4 direct levels and possibly 2 indirect levels of hilarity.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Equation for race weight:

Race weight= n-5lbs

Where n is your current weight
Last edited by: Nick B: Sep 15, 14 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: How do you determine your optimum race weight? [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
Equation for race weight:

Race weight= n-5lbs

Where n is your current weight

NOT THIS.

Is there a perfect answer for this question... probably not unless we start talking about body fat percentage; which I would assume is under 5%. But NO, it is not n-5. That is so far off it hurts to think about. I lost 15 pounds for IM Cozumel and was 3% body fat on race day. A lot of people would say that was perfect. I would not. I just raced IMWI at 10lbs less than typical weight (7.5% fat). I was happy with that but could have easily lost 2 more pounds (but let's be honest, that wouldn't have affected my overall time).

Most people live by the 8% rule. Which, if 150lbs is race weight, you can gain 12 on the offseason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
dforbes wrote:

Bro, 10% rule.
Quote Reply

Prev Next