Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you carry?
Quote | Reply
I know there has been much talk about carrying a handgun while riding. Today I was damn near eaten by a pitbull. Headed out to pickup a S&W 380 bodyguard. So, where do you keep it? Jersey pocket? Have you ever practiced shooting on the bike? <pink> shooting from aero? </pink>

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have another route option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there might be a need for a new type of speedpack ... such are the times ... :^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small caliber sidearm will not help go for a spray option - glad to hear you are ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
I know there has been much talk about carrying a handgun while riding. Today I was damn near eaten by a pitbull. Headed out to pickup a S&W 380 bodyguard. So, where do you keep it? Jersey pocket? Have you ever practiced shooting on the bike? <pink> shooting from aero? </pink>

Huge fan of the Keltek P3AT P32. Tiny - smaller than my wallet. Built in belt clip. Accurate enough for close quarters. Has enough punch to enable me to get away from any issues I may have where I run/ride. This is small enough and light enough to be tucked into the waste of your run or bike shorts with little notice...

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That .380 will fit in your Bento Box...just don't forget it if you stop at a store and leave your bike unattended. It isn't the easiest to draw from as you can imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm not really opposed to carrying a gun, or shooting a hateful dog, you can probably get in some serious trouble if you do shoot it. Is there an animal control unit near where you ride? I would call them in a second, and then follow up later on to find out what action they took.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:

"Merlin Pack," which doesn't really look like it's a carry pack unless you know what it is:

It can be tightened enough to be worn comfortably on long runs without bouncing/abrading. I usually line it with a plastic freezer bag to keep my personal goo off the Blaster. Here's one place to get 'em:

http://www.glockstore.com/merlin-pack

Only shooting from aero is pretending that my aerobars are machine guns. ;-}

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galco belly band works great with lots of options since most triathletes/cyclists are plenty skinny enough to pull it off.

Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:

You really think trying to shoot a moving dog from a moving bike is the best idea? You do know the travel distance of a .380 bullet if you happen to miss, correct?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to buy one!!! As for responding to a few other replies. This is the south... Ar-Kansas to be exact. Worse than you can imagen.

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not opposed to carrying so i'm not trying to talk you out of it.

is the dog in city limits? have you called the cops/sheriff? i used to ride by a house that about 50% of the time had dogs out. i could usually out run 'em cuz i knew where they were and they didn't know i was coming. one day it was a little to close so i looked up the address online then called the sheriff. i was in a rural part of the
'city'. we're talking small town in north texas. one of the officers was happy i was calling, he knew where the dogs were, don't remember his story but due to some sort of conflict of interest he was hoping someone else would call in on the dogs.

i do think spray would be a better option, larger pattern of coverage. maybe bear spray from cabella's while looking for a gun also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for the Ruger LCP or the KelTec p3AT over the S&W.
I own the LCP and have carried it daily for 4-5 years now.

The S&W has an additional safety.

---edit---
I've found a lot of success carrying a co2 BB pistol on my regular routes as deterrents. It's amazing how quickly those critters learned that I'm not for playing.

@christopher_borden
Spinning Spoke Dimond Bikes Flo Cycling Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Mar 8, 13 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure he does. Thats why he is for people carrying guns to protect themselves from others carry guns who accidently may shoot them. ......................The next post will be a guy asking what weapon is best to carry to protect yourself if some runner or cyclist wants to shoot their dog and accidently kill their kid.
Thats the safest solution everyone shooting.....................There was a reason in the Marines we had to call them weapons and not guns
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Perhaps an assault rifle with expanded magazine carried on your back. That way the car drivers will think twice and you have enough rounds to deal with the kitty or puppy that wants to play.

From an ST perspective, if a dog can catch you when you have a head start then you have have some severe development to do. By the way I've been chased by St. Bernard's in the past and you really need to get up a great pace to stay away from them. But, as I one where up they were, I started accelerating early (flat road) and was anerobic when got to whe they could see me. Go by fast enough and they loose interest pretty quickly.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x1...spray for this otherwise packing individual. Riding in the aero position doesn't exactly lend itself to accuracy in discharging a weapon!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden has a great suggestion of a bb gun. And he's in Redneck Alabama, so he know's what works.

Seriously, if you shoot and kill somebody's dog you might get sued and/or arrested. You will spend several thousand $$ in legal fees even if you are not found guilty. There are better alternatives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:

x1 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beaver-Please tell me you did this post in time with the cnn article I found today..."she hid the gun where?"

Please check it out! :) haha
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
While I'm not really opposed to carrying a gun, or shooting a hateful dog, you can probably get in some serious trouble if you do shoot it. Is there an animal control unit near where you ride? I would call them in a second, and then follow up later on to find out what action they took.

Good luck with that. We have a poorly raised/poorly socialized German Shepard on our block who has attacked 5 other dogs and killed 2 of them. During the attacks he bit 2 people. The dog is flat out dangerous. The only action taken? The owners have to display a sign stating they have a vicious dog and are always supposed to have him on a leash with a muzzle. I go by the house at least once a week when the dog is outside without either. I've given up calling the police or animal control officer. I've done that at least a couple dozen times with no result.

All I can say is the day that dog comes out at me will be it's last day on the planet.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
1fastbeaver wrote:

You really think trying to shoot a moving dog from a moving bike is the best idea? You do know the travel distance of a .380 bullet if you happen to miss, correct?

John

While I agree the chances of hitting the dog are slim, a .380 does not have a long trajectory especially when pointed downward. That said, it would also be a fairly useless caliber against all but a small pit bull.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are other options than a gun. Such as mace or pepper spray. The is the solution for thousands of workers (such as the USPS, Fed EX) who have a significantly greater incidence of being attacked by a dog than you and I. Mace is small, light weight, and effective.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So some people are saying use spray or a bb gun and some are saying that 0.380is not nearly big enough. Could someone explain?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you carry? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
Yup. Perhaps an assault rifle with expanded magazine carried on your back. That way the car drivers will think twice and you have enough rounds to deal with the kitty or puppy that wants to play.

From an ST perspective, if a dog can catch you when you have a head start then you have have some severe development to do. By the way I've been chased by St. Bernard's in the past and you really need to get up a great pace to stay away from them. But, as I one where up they were, I started accelerating early (flat road) and was anerobic when got to whe they could see me. Go by fast enough and they loose interest pretty quickly.

Thanks for the laugh with this one.

Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
So some people are saying use spray or a bb gun and some are saying that 0.380is not nearly big enough. Could someone explain?

Spray = works on animals, armed human predators, but less so on the latter.

0.380 not big enough = many who look at terminal ballistics/shooting statistics believe this to be so for human predators. No idea re dogs. Sounds like overkill to me.

BB Gun = doesn't know WTF he/she is talking about.

Another option: On the "What sport did you do before tri" thread, someone said they played polo, as in horses. A well-placed swing of the polo mallet to dog's backside could be accomplished without breaking aero, waking up the neighbors, or putting someone's eye out. You could velcro wrap the mallet to the top tube, and it wouldn't get in the way. It would also would make a kick-ass Youtube video.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next