Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do i find a filed lawsuit online?
Quote | Reply
for the lawyers (or anyone), researching a tri-related story, can't find a particular lawsuit i know has been filed. help.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How do i find a filed lawsuit online? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the location and court(state or federal)? Some state courts don't have online information, and very often getting documents requires a subscription.

If its a federal court case then the system is called pacer, and I have an account and could lend a hand in getting a document.
Quote Reply
Re: How do i find a filed lawsuit online? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it's california state court. but i could be wrong.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you google the x vs x part? did you google just the names of the defendant and plaintiff?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For state court cases, you'll need to know the county where the suit was filed. Then Google "xxxxxx county, ca case lookup"

Navigate from there. Most large CA counties are online with court records.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever county the lawsuit was filed, go to their Clerk of the Court's website and most likely they will have an online public records search where you can enter the parties' name or some other identifying feature and find the info. You may not be able to get free online access to the actual court documents though, but rather may just be able to view the docket sheet. I'm not sure how things work in California.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In CA, most courts have an online services portal that will have case information available, though sometimes at a fee. Start at courts.ca.gov and search through the superior courts. If the case was recently filed, it will be in superior court. You need to narrow the filing down to the county. Then go to that county's website and look for links like online services, court records, case information, register of actions, case index, etc. In LA, you need a case number to get to the information. In San Diego, the register of actions can be searched by party names. It varies by county. Some allow you to buy papers filed (complaints/motions) and others just have basic information. If it happens to be a federal lawsuit, pacer.gov is where you can do a search. You typically need to register and pay for that with pacer.
Quote Reply