Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I aeroweenie my TT bike?
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

Looking to make my TT rig as aero as possible, within UCI regulations. The bike is in the process of being built up, so I am looking for the most aerodynamic components to build it up with. Looking for base bar/aero bar, brake levers, brake calipers, and seatpost (27.2mm). Shifting components and wheels are already taken care of, and the frame has internal routing. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Justin
Quote Reply
Re: How do I aeroweenie my TT bike? [jmaq19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long is a piece of string?

Seriously, though, the devil is in the details. The way you're asking the question without providing any photos or specifics is the "more money than sense" approach :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: How do I aeroweenie my TT bike? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah probably should have been a tad more specific. Ideally, looking to keep bars/brakes/seatpost budget under $400, so I guess this would fall more under aero on a budget. At the moment, all I have in my possession for this build is the frame/fork/headset and drivetrain.

Looks don't really matter, as long as its aero :)

Thanks, and I'll be happy to provide more info if it will help!
Justin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat post is usually frame specific - not that a seat post matters much it's stuck between the legs behind the arms etc.

There is a good select of TT bars in the Ebay China speed shop. Mock up or get a precise idea of what want and consult the drawing jpegs in the listings.

I am very happy with my bars - they are strong. I made my own aero base pad with cross linking (uber cool). The drops are a little ahead of perfect but offer 3 positions so just have to get used to it. Put it this way a gazillion times better than the stock Argon bar!

Brakes - don't matter much - witness the pro TT machines- Dura ace or Ultegra are great.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do I aeroweenie my TT bike? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Seat post is usually frame specific - not that a seat post matters much it's stuck between the legs behind the arms etc.

There is a good select of TT bars in the Ebay China speed shop. Mock up or get a precise idea of what want and consult the drawing jpegs in the listings.

I am very happy with my bars - they are strong. I made my own aero base pad with cross linking (uber cool). The drops are a little ahead of perfect but offer 3 positions so just have to get used to it. Put it this way a gazillion times better than the stock Argon bar!

Brakes - don't matter much - witness the pro TT machines- Dura ace or Ultegra are great.

Got a link for the China speed shop? Doesn't seem to exist from my searches. Have to admit I'm skeptical about direct China aerobars, things such as engineering drawings showing a simple oval shape rather than an airfoil don't inspire much confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I aeroweenie my TT bike? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

These should be the ones I got. I have the gland nut style vs a allen bolt collar on the aero bars. I routed all my wiring & cables internally, I did have to open the holes a bit to allow the DI2 plug fittings through. And I got rid of the pads making my own base plate with crosslink. The bars are very "overbuilt" so I am not at all worried about failure! I am pretty easy on the bars in any case, directing pad force pretty much over the stem connect.

<http://www.ebay.com/...1470438908&rt=nc

And installed, custom aero pad with leather over Ultralon EVA, leather aero tape, foam grip tape, hidden wiring except for two that wrap the stem back to the JB. A leather stem storage pouch will go behind the stem.

<"

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do I aeroweenie my TT bike? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

And installed, custom aero pad with leather over Ultralon EVA, leather aero tape, foam grip tape, hidden wiring except for two that wrap the stem back to the JB. A leather stem storage pouch will go behind the stem.

<"

You classy bastard. Looks good with the blue!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get any old brake calipers that work well, at any price range they don't matter much. But especially with your budget you'd be better off moving up the aerobar food chain.

Brake levers, TRP make some nice affordable levers that have a good return spring and aren't too bulky. Vision tech's levers are probably the most aero but I've never been crazy about them.

Seat post - any old one should do but there are some aero ones. Although a long time ago Cobb said they made no difference with a rider on board but who knows how vetted that opinion was(it was more of a passing "it's no biggy" without data)

Focus on the base and aerobars I recently got a pro missile alloy basebar and I think it's probably the best alloy basebar for the money along with the felt Devox 3. Aerobar will depend on your fit. Some of the integrated options may be good if they fit your position, the vision tech one pieces and semi integrated are fast and cheap but have little adjustability. I like them in the r bend but wasn't crazy about them in j bend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the tririg brakes and stem. A couple of watts there over just about any other caliper and the stems do some great cable management.

Some of the Felt base and aero bars are excellent with pretty clean levers. The prices are also quite reasonable.
Quote Reply