Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How bad is chocolate for your weight?
Quote | Reply
I only post this because I'm eating this too regularly. At night after dinner maybe a row or two. Can't seem to help myself and worried about the calories. Then again - life is short....
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat some type of chocolate every day. I weight 130 lbs. Only 5'4" but still fit. Coffee and a brownie/dove chocolate every day. Now I mix that with a lot of healthy foods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much of anything isn't good for you so in moderation you'll be just fine. If you eat more calories now you get to eat less later.

In contrast I just gave up Pop Tarts for breakfast and a coworker almost got killed yesterday.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always been in the mid 90's (kg) and got down to 88.7 before IM Melbourne in March but now back to 92-94. It's funny but I've been low-mid 90's since early 20's (now 52) and don't go up or down all that much. Just seems to be less muscle and more flab now but I'm not Robinson Crusoe there. Just feel guilty after eating it. Doesn't seem to stop me though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the question is, how is your weight now?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so much the chocolate that is "bad" but the sugar that accompanies it. That said I love it. Of course dark chocolate with higher percent cocoa is supposedly better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind? I like the Trader Joe's bittersweet chocolate w/ almonds in the .5 kg bars. Darker chocolate is more satisfying so it's easier to convince yourself you've had enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy idea - but why not work out the calories from the bar ? We don't know how big your rows are or what chocolate it is ?

TBH - I'd not worry.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you abuse, like others said, you don't have to worry about every single calorie that goes into your body. Unless you're a pro competing at the highest level (and then you probably have someone planning your meals anyway), many nutritionists say you can have a 10% calorie intake per day that is junk/sweets/fries/bacon/you-name-it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're fine. Dark chocolate is better for you though.

Check this out -

Quote:

In conclusion, our findings—that more frequent chocolate intake is linked to lower BMI—are intriguing. They accord with other findings suggesting that diet composition, as well as calorie number, may influence BMI. They comport with reported benefits of chocolate to other elements of MetS. Compatible experimental findings in rats given epicatechin from cocoa suggest the association could be causal.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1108800&resultClick=3

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
I only post this because I'm eating this too regularly. At night after dinner maybe a row or two. Can't seem to help myself and worried about the calories. Then again - life is short....

Chocolate is EVIL!

I strongly suggest that you pack up all your chocolate and ship them all to me so I can get rid of them for you.
Trust me on this.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:

Who cares? It's effing CHOCOLATE!!! Some is good, more is better and even more is even better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what has really worked for me in regards to weight.

1) Regular exercise.
2) Portion control.
3) Eating has healthy and natural as possilbe.

If I do have something "BAD" I only have a very small portion. I love dark chocolate with sea salt. I have a square or two from time to time.

There is really no secret to weight control.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giving up Pop Tarts is pretty damn drastic. Did you cut back to one for a while or just go cold turkey?
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that cupcakes are good for performance. Some guy who's good at exercising told me to replace 50% of my calories with cupcakes. So far I've been happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:

Who cares? There are a couple studies that suggest dark chocolate is beneficial for endurance performance, as well as other generic health benefits. As long as you account for the calories in your daily log, go for it.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
switch to 85% or higher dark chocolate and you will be fine. It kills your hunger. While anything less than 75% you begin not eating chocolate anymore but sugar.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, you guys need to train more if a little bit of chocolate throws your diet completely out of whack.

I thought there was like a annual minimum of 600 hours of training to even post on slowtwitch.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:

Who cares? There are a couple studies that suggest dark chocolate is beneficial for endurance performance, as well as other generic health benefits. As long as you account for the calories in your daily log, go for it.

John

In that case can I account for the consumption in my training log too?
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:

Chocolate is EVIL!

I strongly suggest that you pack up all your chocolate and ship them all to me so I can get rid of them for you.
Trust me on this.

I second this, will provided my address to my home and office if needed!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:

Chocolate is awesome. If you 're putting on weight because of it then cut out your oatmeal calories. You could eat 2 bars of chocolate a day and lose a lot of weight (if that's all you ate) so it depends on what else you eat every day. Sometimes we over complicate things: calorie deficit = lose weight, calorie surplus = gain weight. You can eat chocolate and still be in deficit or break even. To stay healthy, though, you will need to eat nutritious food. So personally, I eat a "foundation" of veggies and green leaves, and then for the rest of my calories I eat pizza, chocolate, beer and wine

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that in a study, athletes who consumed 2 oz of dark chocolate a day saw a performance benefit over those who did not. Now -- this was from a triathlon magazine, not a scientific journal. So take it with a huge grain of salt. But they were comparing dark chocolate benefit on the same level as beets.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I read that in a study, athletes who consumed 2 oz of dark chocolate a day saw a performance benefit over those who did not. Now -- this was from a triathlon magazine, not a scientific journal. So take it with a huge grain of salt. But they were comparing dark chocolate benefit on the same level as beets.

BMANX wrote:
If I do have something "BAD" I only have a very small portion. I love dark chocolate with sea salt. I have a square or two from time to time.

If you say so!
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is chocolate for your weight? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a little more confirmation on the benefits of chocolate, and your running has been lagging of late ... I hear that Gwen Jorgenson eats a bit of chocolate every day. That seals the deal for me!
Quote Reply

Prev Next